• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The usual/normal disclaimer would be - -> THIS FORUM,IT'S ADMIN,MODS,OR MEMBERS,DO NOT ENDORSE ANY PRACTICE ,PROCEDURE, OR MODIFICATION,TO ANY FIREARM WITH OUT THE PROPER PAPERWORK BEING FILED,AS PER LAW,THROUGH THE/WITH THE BATFE. PERIOD !!
    I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY,OR KNOW OF NO ONE,THAT HAS EVER DONE THIS. - - -> I DO NOT PLAN TO DO THIS !!
    JUST WONDERING - -> My SBS thread got me wondering - -> How many illegal firearms are out there in suburban America,altered by the gang bangers in Chi-town,Chicago, NYC,etc,etc.
    Same for rural America ?? Rural farmers,rednecks,good ol' boys,that live "outside of town" usually have the basic machinery that will allow them to work on their broken equipment. Drill presses,lathe's,metal/pipe cutting tools,threading devices,etc,along with the acquired knowledge as to how to effectively use this equipment.
    If the intended purpose for the ATF altered weapon is - -> riding in the farm tractor/machinery,standing in the corner of their barn,next to the back door for SD/HD,would these Americans NOT BUILD THEMSELVES something appropriately useful ??
    How many ATF illegal items are out there ?? My guess is in the millions. Some probably do not even know or considered that they have done anything wrong. They have simply modified a "tool" to fit their needs. Like a tractor part.
    What say you - -?? LETS TRY TO REMEMBER THE LAWS ... BEFORE WE POST ON THIS THREAD. ---- SAWMAN

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Which group you guessing has the millions of wrong guns out there?

There aren't many farmers still riding on a JD95 anymore. Most farms are very very expensive operations now (at least out west) with land investments in the many of millions and a new combine can cost over $300,000. Tractors are expensive too. Semi trucks for cartage of seed, silos on the farm and hay barns for hay.....My last friend who's still part of a "farm" back in Oklahoma is a member of the family operation. 4 principles decide what happens of the 3,000 plus acres of tilled land 1,000 acres of pasture.

I'd guess there might be one or three "farmers" dumb enough to ride an illegal cut down shotgun in the corner of his combine. The most illegal guns are all with the first group you mentioned, suburban America.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I think you fellows mean to use the term "urban" not "suburban". The answer, I think, will be determined when final legality of bump stocks, pistol grips, binary triggers, home made suppressors, etc. is established. (I forgot SBR)

Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Likely millions, as you said. From people not even knowing about ATF regs and thinking they can throw a stock on their new Shockwave to the guy that throws two fingers in the air and makes his own suppressor... they're everywhere, and the smart ones don't say a word.

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I remember back in the early '70s, there was a paperback book titles Make a Machine Gun. The book described how to make a machine gun from parts found in an auto junk yard.. The book stated if you had metal working tools you could complete the "project" in about 16 hours. If all you had was hand tools it would take much longer. I am sure there are many of these books "out there" and many people have used these books. Along the same line, does anybody remember "the Anarchist Cookbook"?

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Likely millions, as you said. From people not even knowing about ATF regs and thinking they can throw a stock on their new Shockwave to the guy that throws two fingers in the air and makes his own suppressor... they're everywhere, and the smart ones don't say a word.
    ...and they don't post on public gun forums, and the Really smart ones don't even join public gun forums. I'm obviously dumb, lol, but I'm not doing anything illegal either.

Tovarish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I imagine there are quite a few full-auto bring backs floating around out there as well, handed down through a generation or three. People who don’t know how much trouble they can be in, or don’t know what to do with that Sten that Grandpa brought back from the war.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have no clue as to what you are talking about and have no clue as to making a weapon illegal....but I think there are many criminals with illegal weapons and millions of altered weapons all over America and the world.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ...and they don't post on public gun forums, and the Really smart ones don't even join public gun forums. I'm obviously dumb, lol, but I'm not doing anything illegal either.
    That you are aware of at the moment, subject to change at anytime based on an out of control bureaucrats opinion of a existing vaguely written law.
    ;);)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That you are aware of at the moment, subject to change at anytime based on an out of control bureaucrats opinion of a existing vaguely written law.
    ;);)
    Amen...Might be lots of "illegal" if the pistol brace changes take effect and everyone is not informed what they are supposed to do or what they are supposed to do is impossible or nearly so or they don't have the $ to do or what they are supposed to do is illegal in and of its self. Maybe bureaucrats are not aware of or choose to ignore ex post facto situations.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The answer to your hypothetical musings is entirely dependent on which source is used to determine "legality" of the tool.

Since most references are to Federal laws and Federal LEO agencies, perhaps that 2nd Amendment would have a higher weight than any Federal law or Federal office memo?

1791 happened well before 1934...

Top Bottom