APOD Firearms

It's almost time for night Hog hunting in Alabama. What's your thermal choice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With so many new ones out there what's your pick and why? Please speak from hands-on experience, not something you read.

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    EOtech Clipir ELR, or Trijicon UTCXii if you are wanting to go the clip-on route. For dedicated TWS your options open up greatly.

First and foremost, what's your budget?

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Like to stay under $5000.
    What distances are you planning on needing for? That's another big thing to consider and can change the price on the unit drastically.

Depending on if you want a clip on or not, the Steiner C35 was on blowout for 2k shipped a few months ago. Under 5-6k, you won't find a better unit as far as image and capabilities goes. They are around 3500 now.

Super yoter C is another good one for the price.

Dedicated thermal weapon sights are going to be much cheaper and there are plenty of options within your budget.

Pulsar stuff is cheaper but would get the job done.

The iray RH25 is more of a multi use unit but can function as a clip-on, and also small enough to work decently as a scanner. Can be had around 5500 or so used.

I have used or own all of the above. If you want to meet up one day to play around with different units we can arrange that.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What distances are you planning on needing for? That's another big thing to consider and can change the price on the unit drastically.

Depending on if you want a clip on or not, the Steiner C35 was on blowout for 2k shipped a few months ago. Under 5-6k, you won't find a better unit as far as image and capabilities goes. They are around 3500 now.

Super yoter C is another good one for the price.

Dedicated thermal weapon sights are going to be much cheaper and there are plenty of options within your budget.

Pulsar stuff is cheaper but would get the job done.

The iray RH25 is more of a multi use unit but can function as a clip-on, and also small enough to work decently as a scanner. Can be had around 5500 or so used.

I have used or own all of the above. If you want to meet up one day to play around with different units we can arrange that.
    Have you tried the Trijicon IR Hunter?

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Not the IR hunter but I did have the REAP-IR which is essentially the same thing (different menu and adjustments.)

Went through 3 different REAPs. It was decent at the time but very buggy. The different sized objective lenses basically determine your base magnification and your field of view. So the distance you plan to hunt would be key in knowing which one would be better off for you.

The thing I didn't like about the REAP and also on the IR hunter line was that the focus was fixed to infinity. (It was never perfectly in focus). The only focus adjustment that is available is digital and it's not the best. I'd always be wanting to bring it perfectly into focus just a bit more than the settings would allow and you just can't do that with these.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not the IR hunter but I did have the REAP-IR which is essentially the same thing (different menu and adjustments.)

Went through 3 different REAPs. It was decent at the time but very buggy. The different sized objective lenses basically determine your base magnification and your field of view. So the distance you plan to hunt would be key in knowing which one would be better off for you.
    I imagine all shots would be within 100 meters. That's about all the juice a suppressed subsonic 300 BLK has pretty sure. And that's a nice rainbow arc at 100M.

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I imagine all shots would be within 100 meters. That's about all the juice a suppressed subsonic 300 BLK has pretty sure. And that's a nice rainbow arc at 100M.
    Well 100 yards and in you most certainly dont want a 60mm IR hunter because your FOV will be significantly less and it will be more magnified.

A 35mm or 20mm one would do you just fine. The smaller the mm the wider the field of view and the less the base magnification. i'd argue that 35mm is even too much for 100 and in.

I do most of my night hunting between 200-700 so I need to have max magnification capabilities and resolution.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i hunt hogs with an ATN thor 4. its not terribly expensive, from about 1000 to 4000 depending on what you get. but i have been pretty happy with it.

Captain Dave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well 100 yards and in you most certainly dont want a 60mm IR hunter because your FOV will be significantly less and it will be more magnified.

A 35mm or 20mm one would do you just fine. The smaller the mm the wider the field of view and the less the base magnification. i'd argue that 35mm is even too much for 100 and in.

I do most of my night hunting between 200-700 so I need to have max magnification capabilities and resolution.
    What in the heck are you shooting at night from 200 to 700 meters? If you can't tell me I get it... :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom