• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Very nice!.. I was literally just drooling over some shotguns online as we speak lol. And those are on the list too!.. very nice gun bud she looks great

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    You said it was a project? What was done? It looks outstanding. I have one with the buck barrel I need some bluing done to the receiver. Do you have any recommendations to pass along? It doesn't need to come out looking as good as yours. But mine has more patina than I care for. Did you remove the factory pressed checkering?

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I bought it with a broken stock. Replaced that with a Boyd's walnut stock. Took her all apart and de funked; had to use a rubber mallet to get the trigger housing to slide out. Bought a plain barrel from an auction, and cut her down to 18 and change. I am going to use some cold blueing on the muzzle cut. I didn't do any other finishing except a bunch of oil and rag rubbing to clean up some freckling on receiver. I too want to get an older one re-blued, but I haven't made the leap. I am going to try to salvage the old stock if I can match the wood. Missing piece is, well, missing.

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Boyd's took some time to trim and sand face to fit. Ithacas are very particular about the stock fit and keeping them tight. or you end up with the second picture.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Boyd's took some time to trim and sand face to fit. Ithacas are very particular about the stock fit and keeping them tight. or you end up with the second picture.
    Did you send Boyd's the receiver for fitting? Your receiver is quite remarkable for the age. My barrel doesn't need any help. It's just my receiver that needs the patina carefully removed so not to diminish the roll marks, than a good hot blue.

Last edited:

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    No, I ordered it from Optics planet. She no fit very well, so back and forth with sanding, measuring, lead pencil transfer to see who is rubbing where. good clean fun.

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I see the error of my ways. If I said "The Boyd's stock I ordered took some time", that would have made more sense.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    No, I ordered it from Optics planet. She no fit very well, so back and forth with sanding, measuring, lead pencil transfer to see who is rubbing where. good clean fun.
    So you did the fitting yourself to relieve stress points? Nice job. I don't want to end up with a museum piece. I just want to end up with a fine looking Model 37 I'm not concerned to use in various weather changes.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Your firearm is just that ... YOURS.
    Improve the looks and functionality to your likeing.
    Take your time and do it right. The older 37's will never be again. Treat them with the respect that they deserve.
    The above gun looks great sir. --- SAWMAN

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I thought using a pipe cutter was a good idea, but it did leave a hard smudge ring that steel wool softened but did not eliminate.
    IMG_1318.jpeg

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Man is that hand fitting laborious. I did a fine English walnut on a Marlin lever, and it took a LOONNNGGG time. Even after I bought about $400 in tools to do the work. Turned out great, but I was the proverbial cat in the room of rocking chairs.

And I used transfer ink. Nothing clean about it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As I have received parts for my Stevens 620,I have assembled and disassembled the gun over and over to add or replace. (I do not even have to watch the video anymore.)
    The parts that I have replaced allowed the gun to operate perfectly,they were just OLD. (70 - 90 YEARS OLD).
    I installed a new mag spring,mag follower,bolt release,butt plate and screws,etc,etc.
    Point is - -> I tried to keep it origional "looking" while guaranteeing it's functionality for another 70years +.
    I did not mess with the wood because frankly,I was affraid that I would mess it up. I thought about tung oil or linseed old,but it is already dark,dirty,and flat in color.
    However you want your gun to turnout is your decisions. This is what is so great about a "project" gun.
    Your gun looks great. ---- SAWMAN

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought about tung oil

I used pure Waterlox tung oil on mine (cut with mineral spirits as carrier). It turned out great. You find out what kind of wood you really have, because all it does is bring out what is already there. It is amazing how an unfinished piece of wood that looks like dog poop totally transforms with a wipe of that. Like a caterpillar into a butterfly.

And it waterproofs the heck out of it!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My wood is too dense and dark (red'ish) to be soft wood or even "pallet" wood.
    Trying to figure what wood would make sense in the time period. Only thing that I can come up with is mapel or walnut.
    Gotta do some reserch.
    What is the wood on that 37 ??? ---- SAWMAN

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love a model 37 Ithaca. Only problem is "They Kill on Both Ends!"
    Here is mine, it has quite a history.
    Your gun looks great. Nice job!

Top Bottom