• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just finished cutting this one down to 18.25". Now to put the front bead on. The solid rib is loose at the muzzle, after the cut. I'm thinking about using the bead threads to hold it together. I'm not sure what is under there, holding it down the rest of the way. I used a Dremel to cut it. I will need a little more practice. I had to do some finish sanding to square it up. It still is not perfect. 1958 Model.
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nice. My model 12 is sawed off also. It's a rare solid rib too. It seems to be welded maybe and part of the barrel? Not sure but mine seems to be attached pretty solid. I agree the bead may help fix it best. I'd say to check to see if someone can sweat it back on with solder but it may affect the barrels strength by making it lose temper if it got too hot. If the bead don't work well it's still an option I suppose. I need to get a bead put on mine too eventually

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You are old enough to know better, it would seem. But thanks, I agree, I think they are good guns too. I've been itching to get a solid rib to wack down to 18".

ESPTyler

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You are old enough to know better, it would seem. But thanks, I agree, I think they are good guns too. I've been itching to get a solid rib to wack down to 18".
    It is a John Browning design that has been in production since 1937. Made in Ithaca, NY for years but CO. has been sold a few times in last 20 years. New they are now about 1200.00. I would trade for a short barrel rather than cut a barrel that is worth about 300.00. Older production barrels are NOT interchangeable with newer ones.

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Your pricing is a little off. I wish I could sell it for $1200. Selling the barrel for $300 wouldn’t help. It’s the solid rib that I was looking for. If you are a true Ithaca fan, you are just going to have to look away. Believe me I can sympathize. If you know someone who silver solders barrels, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oh yes, the new ones from Ohio are pricey. I like the old ones better actually. Their production is low these days. I hope the Sandusky factory can keep it going. If you need a short smooth barrel, I have one of those too. As we both know, that would have to be fitted by a gunsmith though, to any Ithaca pre mid 1963.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SpeedyJones

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a mid 80s Stakeout with a factory 14” barrel…

I got it new and used it for many years on an executive protection detail.

Really good gun

Members online

Top Bottom