Patriot Mobile

It is just me or do y'all find it strange to spend tons of money to upgrade a gun you never shot

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    When I see a Glock for more than retail,I stop reading. I carry a Glock most days but it’s a tool nothing more. I don’t care how much lipstick you slap on it , it’s never going to be the prettiest gun at the Barbecue.

;)
    Yep, I don't care about "her" being the prettiest gun at the BBQ, I just want "her" to do what I want "her" to do, lol........GLOCK fits the bill. Stock Glock too, except for that KKM barrel in my G20. I bought the KKM barrel from a member here a couple of years ago. It's a nice addition, but not really necessary.

3blamo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Im not sure why anyone would make all these "upgrades" for it to only sit around and not be used.. maybe it's one of those things where people utilizes the "Instagram Flex"; once all the cool pictures are up, they sell it?? Maybe, they make all the upgrades in hopes it'll be worth more in the future?..

I dont knock on upgrading my weapons because I cant keep stuff stock even if I try myself lol.
    Being the occupation I am in at the moment always being "out of town", I usually get bored - "Buy Upgrades" only for them not to be installed till I get back home. At least I can keep myself occupied when I am home and not sitting on the couch watching Days of our Lives.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK.

I have blued Marlin .45-70 that I wanted to scope with a low powered scope, and also shoot nothing but cast lead bullets. Had to wait on the scope from Larry Porterfield, and then buy components and load ammo. Bore sighted and all ready to go, but I am not takin' that blued beauty outta the AC into this BS heat/humidity. She's gonna be my "fair weather" girl, so we'll go have fun in the fall. Her stainless sister is set up and ready when I am, so blue is a special date. Nice to have options.

I've also got a Rem 700 -06 that I keep fooling with. Had some plans for it, they got chnaged, then I started down another road, almost sold it, finally scoped it, and am again ready to go shott. Again, I've got other guns, so going out in the BS heat is just not at the top of my list right now. If I have to, I will, but I don't. That and am considering relaocting so might jus finish these up then/there. I'm not unarmed/under-gunned at this point, so, meh.
    Many thanks

Did hit me funny on waiting for good weather so your gun will not be in the heat..

Hey we all have our jelly spots.. It always amazes me the gentleness and care war rifles are given long after they have been turned into surplus. Of course one does not have access to a supply officer anymore with free parts any more.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    - "Buy Upgrades" only for them not to be installed till I get back home. At least I can keep myself occupied when I am home and not sitting on the couch watching Days of our Lives.
    Oh man Days of our lives is good in the background during gun cleaning... Spicy if you know what I mean :)

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the few things I have noticed that seem to be consistent are.....

Faster, smoother, more efficient is better. Just like a fast car or motorcycle.

Seems we all have a love and respect for mechanical things and how they can be improved.

I think the most common trait is once everyone has their SHTF guns, carry gun and hunting guns (necessary tools), the rest is a hobby where one day a Mosin Nagant can't be given away for $75, then a few years later prices start at $350. They have been good investments. Not so sure about it now with the inflated prices.

we are big Kids that never grew up.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I think the few things I have noticed that seem to be consistent are.....

Faster, smoother, more efficient is better. Just like a fast car or motorcycle.

Seems we all have a love and respect for mechanical things and how they can be improved.

I think the most common trait is once everyone has their SHTF guns, carry gun and hunting guns (necessary tools), the rest is a hobby where one day a Mosin Nagant can't be given away for $75, then a few years later prices start at $350. They have been good investments. Not so sure about it now with the inflated prices.

we are big Kids that never grew up.
    In 20 years, and maybe even in 10 years... whenever the population (and demand) has doubled again... then we all will see $1000+ Mosins that used to be $75. Mark my words. Mosins and Mausers and other milsurps in serviceable condition will always be good investments

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many thanks

Did hit me funny on waiting for good weather so your gun will not be in the heat..

Hey we all have our jelly spots.. It always amazes me the gentleness and care war rifles are given long after they have been turned into surplus. Of course one does not have access to a supply officer anymore with free parts any more.
    Yeah, sounds a bit odd, right? My hang-up with the Marlin is the metal sweating when I take it out in the heat, and then again coming back in. Not so concerned about the outside as the internals. I end up feeling obligated to tear it down and clean/lube everything, and disassembly is a bit more than the average AR. For that particular Marlin, in this heat/humidity, I don't wanna unless I have to, and I don't have to. ;)

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    I don’t find it strange to customize and not shoot. Lots of folks customize cars and don’t race, customize Jeeps and just mall crawl, or customize their yards for other people to look at..
    Since Parris Island in the 90s I just like breaking one down, cleaning and lubing, and function testing.. just a hobby. Fit and finish customizing, performance, handle-ability,, whatever the reason one has it’s just to fill that preference. Not shooting it could come from many reasons.. but that’s not sometimes the fun part. We are all still just in the fun zone around here.. most don’t have a daily use anyway.. other than protecting my family from all enemies, foreign and domestic (as per my taken oath). So what does it matter if one just wants to tinker and relinquish (but that doesn’t mean it’s worth to me what it cost you to make it that way)..
    All in all, we all have a hobby,, or need one, and if you don’t like or understand it,, learn or ,, there’s nothing to see here. Move along :)

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ha ha You guys have more vision and patience... At night I can hear the little rascals in there.. in the night pleading nay begging to be shot, it tears at my soul.

But I do appreciate your time. You did explain a thinking that I did not fully understand.

Which is the great thing about firearms, there are many different people and many different reasons for gun ownership.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to mention,ammo , not so much the price as much as the availability. Not going to waste it so as much as I like to shoot , basically I will only shoot to site in and familiarize. So that’s why some might not get shot.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have to mention,ammo , not so much the price as much as the availability. Not going to waste it so as much as I like to shoot , basically I will only shoot to site in and familiarize. So that’s why some might not get shot.

Now deep down that is just crappy. This ongoing ammo shortage just keeps messing with folks goals and dreams going on years now. Never thought I would live to see this keep dragging on for so darn long.

Do not mind if someone chooses to shot a few rounds a year because they want to thats OK but man it bites when one is forced to not shoot because of available.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now deep down that is just crappy. This ongoing ammo shortage just keeps messing with folks goals and dreams going on years now. Never thought I would live to see this keep dragging on for so darn long.

Do not mind if someone chooses to shot a few rounds a year because they want to thats OK but man it bites when one is forced to not shoot because of available.
    It made me think of .22lr in a whole different way. Sad as hell but I can't got blow thru 500 rounds of anything other than .22lr in a day like I used to.
    A few 100 rounds of my common calibers, fuel, and range fee is an easy $200.
    I guess you can say it's BUILT BACK BETTERER THAN EVER!

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, certainly a factor. Currently my .44 reloads cost me a $1 a piece and the .45-70 is nearing $3 per round. Surely much worse if your shoot "factory." Considering, I still maintain there is an on-going agenda to price Americans out of owning and shooting firearms. Back when the ammo/gun "stock-piling" started under obama, I somewhat bought "stock-piling" as an excuse/cause of shortages. Now, not so much. There has been plenty of time for the market that truly wanted our business to react/respond. Not accepting the whole COVID thing as the primary reason at this point, either. There's more to it than that, gotta be.

Top Bottom