DK Firearms

It is just me or do y'all find it strange to spend tons of money to upgrade a gun you never shot

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC0211

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    hey all, I have been seeing for years ads on here and GB of people stating that they buy a gun new and list $100s if not $1000s of "upgrades" they have done to it but remains unfired. Does anyone else find that odd? How do you know what needs upgrading to fit your needs if you do not fire it stock?

Probably just me but I find that odd.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Some people are collector/accumulators and don’t shoot much.
    I’ve got several guns I’ve never shot but I like to keep them stock. I shoot occasionally but usually the same 8 or 10 guns.
    It is a little odd to add a bunch of accessories but not shoot them.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I want to put muzzle brakes on 2 REM 700 in .308
    I shot one maybe 2 years ago, the other maybe 4 years ago.
    Not a ton of money , but still….

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It always worries me when the seller will tell you the cool gun they are selling has never been fired and they have owned it for years. Especially when it is in a common caliber that could be easily found.

The negative side of me always worries that the piece has issues and this is the sellers plausible deniability when the new owner complains.. "I never even tried it".

Do not know how anyone can get a cool item and not shoot it at least once.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Or, alternatively, the selling of higher end custom guns that have had a "handful" of rounds through them. And, particularly when the seller is listing multiple guns that all fit that category. I saw a guy listing 3 the other day on another forum that were bumping hard on $15k in total asking prices. This is not particularly unusual now.

Was there really that much "excess" sloshing around in the economy a few years ago and is this a sign that, not only is the excess gone, but some level of "panic" selling may have started to set in? I ask, because I certainly was doing "better" but did not have that kind of money to blow on high end guns.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    It's a sign of the economy and gas prices. Also happens at Christmas and tax season. People out of necessity sell the good stuff that they'd rather not sell

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have numerous guns that I have never fired, I will at some time get around to sighting them in or just seeing how I like shooting them. The first exciting thing was buying the gun then shopping for the Add-one’s. I love getting one or two out of the safe every now and then and cleaning or just tinkering with them. From time to time one becomes not needed, it may or may not have been shot. Point is I don’t have to shoot my guns to enjoy them.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have numerous guns that I have never fired, I will at some time get around to sighting them in or just seeing how I like shooting them. The first exciting thing was buying the gun then shopping for the Add-one’s. I love getting one or two out of the safe every now and then and cleaning or just tinkering with them. From time to time one becomes not needed, it may or may not have been shot. Point is I don’t have to shoot my guns to enjoy them.
    Interesting,, Hey your rules you do you. God bless you.

So I ask this for understanding from a person who does not have that patience.

Can you give a couple of IEs of this happening as in what it was and what you did to it. Thanks.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting,, Hey your rules you do you. God bless you.

So I ask this for understanding from a person who does not have that patience.

Can you give a couple of IEs of this happening as in what it was and what you did to it. Thanks.
    One that comes to mind is my Ruger Charger. I have had this one for well over a year. When I got it I already had a Franklin Armory trigger for it so I installed it. Then I needed a threaded barrel so I could put my can on it. Then optics came into play , then stock and brace ,so now that it’s complete I just haven’t taken the time to test drive it. What is amazing is how fast a lot of money can be spent without realizing it till you add it up in the end. Others involve optics and mounts, I like quality optics but I watch for good deals plus the mounts can be pricy also. Some optics/mounts work better on some more than others. As I familiarize myself with some of my guns I might swap optics/mounts between them. Its kind of like when I hunted turkeys, I had numerous calls in my vest but rarely did I use them all but I had them.

Last edited:

SSMAGEDDON

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey all, I have been seeing for years ads on here and GB of people stating that they buy a gun new and list $100s if not $1000s of "upgrades" they have done to it but remains unfired. Does anyone else find that odd? How do you know what needs upgrading to fit your needs if you do not fire it stock?

Probably just me but I find that odd.
    I buy everything in pairs then get buyers remorse later lol and sell one of them.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One that comes to mind is my Ruger Charger. I have had this one for well over a year. When I got it I already had a Franklin Armory trigger for it so I installed it. Then I needed a threaded barrel so I could put my can on it. Then optics came into play , then stock and brace ,so now that it’s complete I just haven’t taken the time to test drive it. What is amazing is how fast a lot of money can be spent without realizing it till you add it up in the end. Others involve optics and mounts, I like quality optics but I watch for good deals plus the mounts can be pricy also. Some optics/mounts work better on some more than others. As I familiarize myself with some of my guns I might swap optics/mounts between them. Its kind of like when I hunted turkeys, I had numerous calls in my vest but rarely did I use them all but I had them.
    Thank you for your examples.. Truth in advertising I have some of my own, but the ones I have not shot was because of not taking the time to learn how to load it.. Or fear of shooting it.. Followed for waiting to take some time to shoot it correctly..

And yes amazing how some guns will suck money to get the proper accessories just to get it to shooting ready.

Thanks again..

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a few over the years where I had a specifc end state in mind when I bought, but I just didn't shoot until I had them where I wanted. If I happened to finish up in the hot season, it waited until fall. None of these were necessities in that they had to be up and running like RFN, so I just waited, because I could. But, they all eventually get shot, or they get new owner. I actually welcome taking a few months to plan, modfiy, whatever relaxing vs gotta be ready to go no matter what, right now. But don't get me wrong, I do have guns I view in that light.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a few over the years where I had a specifc end state in mind when I bought, but I just didn't shoot until I had them where I wanted. If I happened to finish up in the hot season, it waited until fall. None of these were necessities in that they had to be up and running like RFN, so I just waited, because I could. But, they all eventually get shot, or they get new owner. I actually welcome taking a few months to plan, modfiy, whatever relaxing vs gotta be ready to go no matter what, right now. But don't get me wrong, I do have guns I view in that light.
    Please give examples.. :)

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I see a Glock for more than retail,I stop reading. I carry a Glock most days but it’s a tool nothing more. I don’t care how much lipstick you slap on it , it’s never going to be the prettiest gun at the Barbecue.

;)

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please give examples.. :)
    OK.

I have blued Marlin .45-70 that I wanted to scope with a low powered scope, and also shoot nothing but cast lead bullets. Had to wait on the scope from Larry Porterfield, and then buy components and load ammo. Bore sighted and all ready to go, but I am not takin' that blued beauty outta the AC into this BS heat/humidity. She's gonna be my "fair weather" girl, so we'll go have fun in the fall. Her stainless sister is set up and ready when I am, so blue is a special date. Nice to have options.

I've also got a Rem 700 -06 that I keep fooling with. Had some plans for it, they got chnaged, then I started down another road, almost sold it, finally scoped it, and am again ready to go shott. Again, I've got other guns, so going out in the BS heat is just not at the top of my list right now. If I have to, I will, but I don't. That and am considering relaocting so might jus finish these up then/there. I'm not unarmed/under-gunned at this point, so, meh.

Top Bottom