Is Xmas offensive?

MauserLarry

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I need the brain trust opinion here. I sent out an e-mail several years ago to a friend and closed with "Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year". Well I get back a reply stating that such a thing was not proper and inexcusable. I, of course, meant no such thing to be an insult but rather to shorten a long word (important to a poor typer). I have seen Xmas posted everywhere and it is usually done to save room. Basically I was taking Christ out of Christmas according to my friend. Not my intention at all. Anyway I still use Xmas occasionally and it pops into my head that I got chewed out every time I do so. Is anybody on the forum offended and think this is something I need to drop or was he making a big deal out of nothing?

Snake-Eyes

Master
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Write/say what you want. If they are offended enough, and you care about it, they'll tell you and you can adapt as you deem worth your time.

Personally, it's Merry Christmas, Happy Halloween, Happy Easter, Happy Independence Day, and Happy Robert E. Lee Day for me and mine.

This "Happy holidays", Fall Festival politically-retarded stuff is ridiculous. "Xmas" is just another neutered overly-sensitive way to describe the main event of CHRISTmas.

Will me or mine be "offended", though? No. We couldn't care less what someon else says. It lets us know what they're made of, though, so we appreciate the glimpse into their character.

Jerry

Well Known Member
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Formally your friend is right. It does literally take Christ out of Christmas due to the english spelling. The Xmas greeting is just and abbreviation in my opinion means the same sentiment as the full spelling.

If your friend is right, following his logic, the Standard Bible with the books of the Bible abbreviated on the quick reference tabs along the pages disrespects all of the Bible because they are almost all abbreviated.

The origins Xmas lie in the Greek language and alphabet. The letter that looks like an X is the Greek letter Chi which is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ.
Most scholars agree the abbreviation Xmas was used as early as the year 1021. Sometimes we get mixed up in religion when we need to be Christians instead.

I do prefer Christmas over Xmas, but wouldn't lose any friends it they wrote Xmas.
No disrespect intended.

Last edited:

MauserLarry

Master
GCGF Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You all got on top of this in a hurry with some thought provoking answers. There may be some folks answer that Xmas is fine but it's solid against it up till now. So I think I'll drop it as a word to use. Be easier now as my typing has improved! If anybody else wants to chime in, feel free. I thank you guys for the answers and......"Merry Christmas".

FrommerStop

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect many that get offended do not understand a lot about christian history.
It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but Xmas, and variants such as Xtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Christós (Greek: Χριστός), which became Christ in English.
The original books of the new testament were not written in english and King James did not write them either.

Last edited:

Products discussed on GCGF

Top Bottom