• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougy Fresh

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, I built this 80% Arms 308 lower and added a Bear Creek upper and also bought one of their scopes to add to it. The weapon operates fine but I haven't shot it with the scope on it yet. The mounts came with the scope. My question is does it look like the scope is too high? Thoughts or comments?

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpg
      IMG_5715.jpg
      180.1 KB · Views: 70

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    In my opinion, the scope is a little bit high, but you can’t get it too much lower, even with ideal height mounts. I prefer to mount my scopes are low as possible on AR’s. I think the main issue is that you won’t be able to get a good cheek weld. Even if the scope was lower, I struggle to get a good cheek weld on most collapsible stocks. If you are happy with the quality of your rings though, the cheapest and easiest fix is to get a stock comb riser for your stock. Since you already have that magpul stock, magpul actually makes fairly inexpensive stock risers that clip on to your stock. Or you can upgrade to a more adjustable stock like a Magpul PRS or B5 precision stock that has an adjustable riser. I love B5 precision stock personally, although it’s uglier than the magpul prs. And it’s a much more solid stock, especially on an AR10 platform. On this Sig 716i, I could have used a lower scope mount, but I already had a good ADM mount laying around, and with the B5 precision stock, I can adjust the cheek weld to my preference.

Attachments

• A09F2D93-B43E-4320-94AE-F29387CA5356.jpeg
      A09F2D93-B43E-4320-94AE-F29387CA5356.jpeg
      181.8 KB · Views: 43
    Last edited:

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    + 1 for what Grits 1/5 said. You want a good cheek weld and when you look through your scope you get a full view your scope AND don't have to move your head.
    To test, get in to your shooting position and have a towel handy, if you can't see through the scope just using the stock, just add layers of the towel till you have a firm cheek weld and can see through the scope.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When you consider charging handle access, I'd say no. Just as importantly, is it in a comfortable position to view? Below is one I no longer have (and the only one I ever had; just not a big fan of ARs), and I LOVED the position of that scope, for the reasons mentioned above. What's crazy, is that the reflex sight at the front didn't show up in the scope, despite the top being at the centerline of the scope : )

Attachments

• ARetc 016.jpg
      ARetc 016.jpg
      478.3 KB · Views: 48
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    So, I built this 80% Arms 308 lower and added a Bear Creek upper and also bought one of their scopes to add to it. The weapon operates fine but I haven't shot it with the scope on it yet. The mounts came with the scope. My question is does it look like the scope is too high? Thoughts or comments?
    The scope height is fine. I would recommend getting a better mounting option like this. It provides a much better mounting solution. This particular one that I have is 30mm, but they do make them in 34mm if you need that size.
    Resized_20221207_140949.jpeg

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Both of which may vary if you're primarily shooting prone or with your upper body upright...
    Proper body mechanics definitely go into precision shooting, or just MOA of hunting . Shooting supported , or unsupported and many other things are things you can pick up just by watching or participating in matches once you feel comfortable with your set up . Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum as well .

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Ha I would have bet James had a couple Calico's. I heard they were pretty good shooters, is that so?
    To the point of OP, the fact you are asking, indicates you have issues with it. It won't be right until a good sight picture is second nature! You shouldn't have to hunt for it.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ha I would have bet James had a couple Calico's. I heard they were pretty good shooters, is that so?
    To the point of OP, the fact you are asking, indicates you have issues with it. It won't be right until a good sight picture is second nature! You shouldn't have to hunt for it.
    It does real well IF you load the mag right. The reason it's so high is because it's designed for a space suit!!!

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You won't get a cheek weld with that one. More like a chin weld!
    HEY! Whatever works for YOU... or ME (my Savage "Sidewinder" pic below)

Only problem, it won't fit in the case that way, so I had to use Lever-Lock rings... seems to be returning to zero perfectly every time, though.
    (added another pic with a better view of the offset)

Attachments

• DSC08981web.jpg
      DSC08981web.jpg
      315.6 KB · Views: 27
    • DSC09352web.jpg
      DSC09352web.jpg
      370 KB · Views: 27
    Last edited:

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your zero is 100 then its okay but if you before or after your zero then it would be off but unless your shooting way off probaly not gonna be a problem

Top Bottom