HD Tactical

Is Reloading Worth Getting Into These Days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where is the original poster? All these good deals locally and I can't get to them!

My 380 bulltes have shipped.
    I saw this video in presses last night and I am deliberating again..ha!

I do miss working at the reloading factory.
    Was my favorite job but small business and my FFL who owns it did not have enough hours.

Here is the informative video on 14 single press options:
    ( I read many reviews also and the RCBS Summit seenms to be the most concentric. )

Read the data:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so, opinions vary...good luck with whatever you do.
    Thank you.
    I am leaning towards what you said; I do want to use it for rifle loads in future and the one press that would fill that gap and be small enough now is the Summit, from what I can tell so far.
    I saw a lot of reviews saying the RCBS Summit is small enough for an RV or apartment.
    Plus this reviewer said he did not need to bolt it down and was relaoding from his hotel room on a coffee table.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys,

I just checked Optics Planet and guess what?
    The RCBS Summit went down from $270 to $215 ( with out coupon and OP points ).

So I got it!!

I am very excited I will start reloading again!!!!
    You will see me posting less here.hahaha!

I am sooo happy!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just finished a 300 Blackout build. There's no ammo available at reasonable prices.

However, I have range PU brass, primers, powder, and bullets so I was able to slap some test loads together today and function check the build. I borrowed the dies from a friend but just ordered some.

Reloading give you great flexibility during tough times, granted you are forward thinking and stash some basics.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What's pissing me off 8s these assholes who dont reload who bought up all the primers and are now seeling them for 10 times what they are regularly. They made a false panic on them.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We went through this primer thing before , around 1997 I think . I've keep a life time supply since then , I've rotated my stock but some of the primers are 10 years old , I haven't notice any decline in preformance and feel that primers that are stored in a climate controlled home will last almost forever .

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don’t have a lifetime supply but I’ve got enough for 3-4 years anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLT

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Honestly right now is not the best time. Not being able to find primers and powder you would be left with a chunk of metal sitting around. wait till things come back into stock and normalize, or you will end up paying an arm and leg that used to cost 2.5-3.5 cents per.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm reloading and shooting just at a slower rate for sure. I can find everything but primers as well.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Primers are definitely the limiting component these days. I have a good supply, but certainly not a never ending one. I do have some Large Rifle Primers (Winchester) to spare if anyone needs some.

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a turret press for sale I think it is a lyman 6 station i will take 100.$ ftf in milton
    I'm inquiring for a friend who is just getting started in reloading. I'm familiar with the older Lyman turret with the red top and gray body. I don't know if they have changed over time but does yours have the primer feed and spent primer catch pan? I looked in the reloading section for more info or pictures but couldn't find a listing. Friend needs 9mm & 38 special dies if available. I'm recommending a turret press to her so she can use it with both calibers without the hassle of resetting dies. Give me a call, I'm here in Milton. 324-3004

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have been slowly building my reloading tools/supplies for years, but have to confess I've accelerated the process lately. I'm not anticipating armegedon, but am building a supply of bullets/powders/primers; brass will be reused until I can't reuse it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have been slowly building my reloading tools/supplies for years, but have to confess I've accelerated the process lately. I'm not anticipating armegedon, but am building a supply of bullets/powders/primers; brass will be reused until I can't reuse it.
    I am mainly interested in loading special loads that areeither extremely expensive to buy or most tailored to my needs and wants.
    For shooting ammo, buy it and stock between the panicked buying frenzies. Basically have enough on hand to load at least several hundred fighting rounds in the calibers that you need.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am mainly interested in loading special loads that areeither extremely expensive to buy or most tailored to my needs and wants.
    For shooting ammo, buy it and stock between the panicked buying frenzies. Basically have enough on hand to load at least several hundred fighting rounds in the calibers that you need.
    Yeah, I have gravitated toward .44 mag and .45-70 so reloading is becoming more economic/feasible. Factory .45-70 goes for about $2 a round, so.......

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got my press yesterday - very quick delivery, and have already started reloading 380. Now I already want to buy dies to get started on 10mm.

My press is very compact and I am super happy with it!

We are cleaning the brass now after I deprimed it.

Question: is it better, same or personal preference whether one should clean and lube first then deprime or deprime and then clean and lube and continue the process?

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hopefully somebody knows more than me will jump in but I always clean and lube first

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hopefully somebody knows more than me will jump in but I always clean and lube first

And how "clean" is clean: I have indicated it for 2hrs.
    I am just looking for a standard.
    It doesn't have to look new inside the cartridge, right?
    ( when I reloaded before it was at a small business and I don't remember that detail ).

Top Bottom