HD Tactical

Is Reloading Worth Getting Into These Days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve often thought of getting into reloading just for fun. I thought about getting a Lee Loader just to get my feet wet but saw that RCBS has rebates going on.
    I’m thinking of getting a Rock Chucker and maybe a tumbler and/or die set or two just to take full advantage of the rebate now but I’m guessing with the ammo shortage, that’s the case with components as well?
    If it makes any difference, I would mostly be reloading 5.56, .44 and 9mm.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    YES . . (HELL YES) !!
    IMO moreso than ever now. As ammo prices go up,there will be more people getting into reloading. As that happens,the supply of consumables will fall behind the demand. Prices will go up,people will hold on to their stuff,and components will get scarce.
    Like buying and stocking ammo,should have made this reloading decission several months to a year ago.
    Good luck. --- SAWMAN

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't bought loaded ammo in years. I shoot what I reload and don't have to worry about paying crazy prices for ammo. Stocked up on components years ago. Only have to buy 9mm bullets now. Have reloaded over 1k rounds of 9mm in last couple of days. Get started now and you won't regret it. As stated above, primers are the only component hard to find now.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Reloading is a great hobby. I enjoy tailoring a load to a rifle. The custom load I make is much less expensive than if I had to buy a custom load, if available, from a commercial loader.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I shoot several chamberings,in both rifle and pistol,that I do not reload for. The main reason is that the factory ammo WAS so cheap . . AND ACCURATE . . that I bought a bunch.
    Best example is the 10mm. In 2009 I bought two cases of the Blazer loads. Hot'ish,accurate,POI is the same as my hunting loads,got it for about $9.00 for 50rds. Got three boxes of the expensive hunting load from Double Tap about 11 years ago for $30.00 for 50rds. I'm all set.
    Semi the same with several others. I do reload for accuracy but not really to save money. Plus it is like a hobby for me. My life is sooooo dull compaied to all the gun guru's,tacticians,and spelling/ punction checkers hanging about, . . . gotta do something to keep me a "fudd". --- SAWMAN

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started with a Lee single stage and was just trying to save some money when first getting into USPSA. The ability to tailor your reload to the gun or competition makes it more useful than just the savings.
    Components are a little slow these days and it would be very frustrating time to be starting out and depending on the outcome in November even more so.
    Get your press now and keep an eye out for components and who knows the dam may break and we have 2 cent primers again.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Steve, I reload when I am shooting a rifle for accuracy and i want the best bullets matched to my rifle & i use a single stage press.... I do not reload a target calibers where I can buy bulk ammo at the same cost or cheaper than reload cost including materials & most importantly my time.... my buddy does reload some of those calibers and the only way I'd go there is with a progressive press...

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    As others have already mentioned, reloading can be a very important part of the shooting hobby. I rarely buy factory ammo unless I find a real deal (hasn't happened lately). I find it very satisfying to work up the perfect load for a given firearm, and it's nice to know I can continue to shoot regardless of any shortages. Plus, I just seriously enjoy the process of reloading. I learned on a single stage press (which I highly recommend) and later added progressive presses.

Given the current component shortages it might be harder to start now than in the past, but who knows what the future will bring? Hopefully the election will go the right way, the China virus will be controlled, and things will settle down, but what happens next time, and there will be a next. Reloading takes an initial investment, time and serious attention to detail, but I recommend it to anyone who is capable and so inclined.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The main reason I never got into it before is because I mainly shoot 9mm and .22 and 9mm was so cheap, it never really made economic sense.
    But I would probably shoot my ARs and .44s more if I reloaded.
    I’ve got literally thousands of rounds of ammo for everything I shoot so it’s not imperative that I start reloading. Just thought it would be fun and the rebate got me thinking.
    I’ve never heard anything bad about the Rock Chucker.
    But if I can’t get components then there’s no sense in messing with it.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I have had my Rock Chucker press for 33+ years and it still works as well as the day I unboxed it. If you're serious about it, I'd recommend taking advantage of the RCBS rebates and start accumulating components. Primers are available if you look around. I recently saw primers and lots of powder at Uber's and Styx River. Good Luck.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Also watch for people getting out of reloading and/or estate sales. A good buy on used reloading equipment (in my opinion) is half the price that Midway sells it for. Of course as-new equipment could be higher than half off. I think my Rock Chucker was made in 1973 or 78. Had one link pin keep coming loose...RCBS sent me an improved pin and instructions on how to modify my old press to fit the new design at no cost.

You don't save money reloading...you just shoot more for the same amount of money. But, best of all, you taylor your loads to your gun. You can reload obsolete cartridges for which loaded ammo is not available.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also watch for people getting out of reloading and/or estate sales. A good buy on used reloading equipment (in my opinion) is half the price that Midway sells it for. Of course as-new equipment could be higher than half off. I think my Rock Chucker was made in 1973 or 78. Had one link pin keep coming loose...RCBS sent me an improved pin and instructions on how to modify my old press to fit the new design at no cost.

You don't save money reloading...you just shoot more for the same amount of money. But, best of all, you taylor your loads to your gun. You can reload obsolete cartridges for which loaded ammo is not available.
    Cheap to buy ammo (in normal times) like 9mm practice rounds and ak ammo for training I do not reload. I tend to reload rounds that are more expensive to purchase, especially when the price is above a dollar a round.
    Yes you can tailor loads for specific purposes.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Frank, that’s where I’m torn.
    On one hand, I’d like to take advantage of the rebate.
    On the other hand, if I can’t find components, it’s just going to be a frustrating endeavor and my equipment will just sit idle.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RCBS has offered a rebate for as long as I remember. When the latest rebate expires a new one will become available.

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom