• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My wife still wants to wait for someone but I put my foot down now and tell her if she wants to wait she can wait but I’m going ahead with what ever I had planned. I now own a camper it beats sleeping on the couch or so she says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me write all this down for future reference.
    You are one of the super easiest persons that I have ever heard of.
    You took max abuse over and over. EVEN ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. WONDERING ---> why did you allow yourself to be subjected to that treatment.
    Give me your phone number and I will call you and call you every dirty,nasty,name in the book. Seems you need a masochist "fix" every now and then.
    Never heard of a man taking soooooo much verbal abuse.
    You could possibly need professional help.
    Good luck to you buddy. ---- SAWMAN
    Yes, there was a very good reason for taking the abuse. Years ago when I was in Yacht brokerage, I dragged a buyer all around Florida showing him boats. I knew he was a Weirdo to begin with because he was looking for a 60 to 70 foot wooden motor yacht. As you might guess, there are not many of those still around, especially in his $150K price range. I was pretty certain we had found his boat on the second day out.

In the business, it's customary for the buyer to pay for the broker's meals and hotel when traveling. If the commission was large enough and the distance you traveled was far, arrangements could always be made for reimbursement of travel expenses out of the commission, if and when the buyer bought the boat. This cheap SOB never paid for my room or a meal. Actually, he never even offered a bag of chips.

We were traveling in different vehicles and were going to look at one more boat up in Mobile the next day. When my wife and I got up, the buyer his wife and their car were gone. We thought maybe they woke up early and went for breakfast but after several attempted calls, we realized these unappreciative clowns had bailed on us.

We ate and headed home. Never could figure out what happened. I gave him the benefit and suggested, maybe an emergency at home arose. Fast forward about a year. My wife and I are laying in bed around 7 on a Sunday morning when the phone rings. Any of my friends know not to call me before 9AM unless the house is on fire. So I'm sure it's someone I don't know.

My wife rolls out of bed and heads to the kitchen to make some coffee while I answer the phone. It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who it was because the person didn't identify himself. He just kept repeating the same question. "Is that old boat still available? When I figured out who he was, I was ready to give him a piece of my mind and tell him to never call me again. Then he tells me if the old boat is still available he would like me to see if we can get onboard this morning. I need a minute to get my thoughts together so I tell him, to let me check and I'll call him back. I'm absolutely shocked that after not hearing from this guy for about a year, he would have the nerve to even call me.

My wife has a much calmer head than I do so, I decide maybe we should talk about it. I'm thinking, If I go to meet this SOB, I at least will have the opportunity to drown him. The wife says, what do you have planned for today? Me: Nothing really. She says, you've got nothing to lose, so why don't we meet him down in Miami, let him have another look and, If it's going nowhere, we can go visit you father today. So, I admit, I'd still like to kill the guy but I have to admit 99% of the time she always has good advice.

The guy admits that when he disappeared on us he had gotten a call from another broker in Texas who had shown him another boat that was quite a bit less money and they had just lowered the price again. He took off, went to Texas and bought the boat. They loaded all their possessions aboard and headed for Panama on their way to Hawaii. Early in the voyage he lost a prop and shaft and the boat went down. with everything, including his dog. That's why he came back to this old boat.

Anyway, we go and show the boat and the guy puts down a deposit and makes an offer. The end result was, he bought the boat and we collected a very nice commission on the deal. As we're leaving the closing, my wife asks me, "Do you think his new will make it all the way to Hawaii? My reply was, "Who Cares?"

In 17 years in the business, that was the only wooden boat I ever sold and I swore, NEVER AGAIN. You wouldn't believe what we went through during sea trials and survey. That's a whole different story, with the hull surveyor showing up drunk and the buyer cancelling the engine surveyor. His reasoning was that those were just a couple of 12 cylinder GM Diesels. After all, how difficult could they possibly be to work on if it turns out there's a problem? And everyone thinks that selling yachts is easy. Both the buyer and the seller on this sale were instrumental in us finally, deciding to get out of the business.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang man, there is no way I would’ve let that jerk come to my house.
    So, what was the outcome, did he buy it?
    Nope, he didn't buy it because, he didn't appreciate my comment about buying oats. As a matter of fact he backed out of my drive way right into the drainage ditch on the other side of the road.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    huh

Attachments

• ttabf.jpg
      ttabf.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 45

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    My brother-in-law in Panama City put his ‘80s Chevy pickup on EBay and a guy in Biloxi was top bidder.
    He wanted to come over immediately.
    He looked the truck over and said he and his wife were going to get a hotel room.
    The next morning his wife calls and said they were on the way home, the truck wasn’t what her husband was looking for.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At least they called you and let you know what their plan was. My buyer didn't even extend me that courtesy. I guess they were making bets on how long I would wait there for them to return. All I can tell you is an awful lot of yacht buyers and sellers are some of the sorriest people you could ever meet.

3blamo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The ones who piss me off the most are the ones who waste my time by contacting me and telling me that they are on the way then never show or bother to answer when I try to find out what happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This! Plus.. backing out minutes before you’re supposed to meet up. Those are fun

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was selling a well priced tractor a few years back. Guy calls me and when I say "Hello, he says, "Where can I see that wreck of a tractor?" The tractor was in excellent condition and my price was in the ad with an O.B.O. I asked him, if he had any other questions. Guy says, look Buddy, I'm not looking for a long term relationship with you, just gimme the damn address.

I remind myself, I'm not going anywhere so, why not let the A-Hole have a look? I tell him, I'm here for the rest of the day. Come on over but, be sure it's before sunset. He says, he'll see me in about an hour. Before we hang up I hear a female voice asking him, "So, what did he say?" The guy replies with something similar to "This A**hole must think I'm a complete effen idiot or sumthin." I tell my wife that I really should have done, was just hang up on him but, it seems I need some abuse today.

Guy shows up about an hour later. Gets out of his truck and heads straight towards the tractor. I head in his direction to say hello but he waves me off and says he doesn't need anything from me. If he's still interested when he's done looking, he'll give me a holler. So, I retreat to the garage where I can still keep an eye on him.

Fifteen minutes later he calls out to me saying, "I got a question." As I approach him, I simply ask him, "So, what do you think? He says, "If you don't mind, I'm the one with the questions. Then he tells me, he knows the price in the ad isn't the real lowest price. I tell him that's why it also states O.B.O. With that he tells me he knows all sellers are damned liars and are just lookin' to "F" somebody. Then he says, Don't get me wrong. That's allright with me. I don't mind someone gettin' "F'd." I just wanna make sure It ain't me.

I started to laugh until I realized he was dead serious. His comment wasn't meant to be a joke. By now I'm ready to get rid of him. I say, you seem to be more concerned with the price than what you'd be getting for your money. If you were shopping for a bag of oats for a horse, I'll bet you would be all over the price and never even ask about the quality. He says, "Yer damn right. My Daddy once told me, every time you buy or sell in life, you get every nickel out of the deal you can. Cause you never know. Over a lifetime that money might add up to enough to get you a new truck." I'm thinking, I'd like to tell him it doesn't look like that theory has worked out too well for him, based on that piece of sh*t he's driving but, I knew better than to say it. So instead I said, "If he was buying oats from me, I would explain that my oats were priced based on the quality of the oats he wanted. So based on that, "Would he like the oats before or after they've been through somebody else's horse?
    i think that i am a real nice guy, some may disagree, but never in my wildest moments have i thought about being that rude....

he would have found out real quick why my name has caveman in it....and how deep, long and often he could go f himself.... with a wire brush..

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    At least they called you and let you know what their plan was. My buyer didn't even extend me that courtesy.
    True, but when you are the winning bidder on Ebay you are supposed to follow thru.
    Being the top bidder doesn’t mean you then go see if you really want it. You bought it.
    I had a .22 rifle for sale once for around $300. It didn’t sell around here, I was going to Orlando in a week so I put it on Florida Gun Trader in Central Florida.
    Almost immediately I got a message from a guy saying he wanted it. So, I told him I would bring it.
    I took the ad down.
    I could tell by talking to him he didn’t know much about guns.
    Then just about every day I would get a text from him asking a couple of questions.
    It’s been my experience that when somebody starts asking a lot of questions they are unsure of themselves and will not follow thru.
    Sure enough, I was 2 miles away from the house headed to Orlando and he called saying he had done more research, didn’t think it was worth $300 but would give me $175 for it. I hung up on him.
    I sold it at a gunshow to a vendor 2 weeks later for $275.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another thing I’ve noticed lately - people begging and pleading for me to take their lowball offer.
    I had a lady at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago give up all her pride and self-respect for $2.
    “Please, please, can’t you take $8? PLEASE!” Saying this with her hands in a praying position.
    Then this morning I had a guy offer me $60 for an item I had listed on FB for $100. Pleading and begging, even said it was his birthday. Said $60 was all he had.
    I sold it to someone else for $80. This was not a “must have” item. If all he had was $60, he didn’t need to spend it on what I was selling.

Awe, Jeez, these kill me. I'm a single mom, abused, recovering something-or-other, out of work, don't have any money, I'm a christian, really want this, don't have car, can you deliver it, for free? My wife shares these with me, but my response is, "tell them the price is now the original plus $20 every time they send another e-mail/text.....

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Ha! Who remembers the old show “Queen for a Day”? They would bring in an underprivileged person and give them things based on their sad story.
    George Carlin used to do a routine based on that show.
    He would go on and on about how poor he is, 6 kids, no job and living in a tent. The announcer then says “And if you are chosen Queen for a Day, what is your request?
    “A SET of GOLF CLUBS”.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like me some Carlin. He called it as he saw it, and most times nailed it.
    Pretty much all the time, that guy was spot on.

One to add to this thread, accurate descriptions of your weapon helps. If you have 500+rnds through it, it's not "like new" condition.... it is WELL USED. When wear spots are wore down to bare metal, yea that's not "like new". Maybe that's just me but I don't think I'm the only one here.

Top Bottom