• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What do you want them to do? They're great for marking locations, boundaries etc but you're not going to get much illumination out of them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What do you want them to do? They're great for marking locations, boundaries etc but you're not going to get much illumination out of them.
    Was wondering if they would light a target area for use with NV scope. (80 yards away) Probably won't work. Just trying to find a workaround so I don't spook em with the big red eye light. It's visible down range at night.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Unless you can shield the the light from your scope, you'll get a halo(dependent on ambient condtions, your gear and your aspect to the light source) around the chemlight that will most likely negate most of the benefit. Unless you've got a better source, IR chem sticks are several dollars a pop and one time use.

If you've got a specific location that you want illuminated, a handheld IR light could be setup closer to the "zone" for extra help. Again, the ambient conditions etc will determine the overall benefits.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Unless you can shield the the light from your scope, you'll get a halo(dependent on ambient condtions, your gear and your aspect to the light source) around the chemlight that will most likely negate most of the benefit. Unless you've got a better source, IR chem sticks are several dollars a pop and one time use.

If you've got a specific location that you want illuminated, a handheld IR light could be setup closer to the "zone" for extra help. Again, the ambient conditions etc will determine the overall benefits.
    Good insight, thank you. I have another ir light that could be set up on the area. I know thermal is the way to go but for my casual night hunting this works fine. ( night pix don't show up well for some reason)

Attachments

• 20210715_171416.jpg
      20210715_171416.jpg
      3.1 MB · Views: 69
    • SIMA0016 (1).jpg
      SIMA0016 (1).jpg
      373.9 KB · Views: 71
    • SIMA0004.jpg
      SIMA0004.jpg
      215.1 KB · Views: 71
    • SIMA0005.jpg
      SIMA0005.jpg
      218.2 KB · Views: 74
    Last edited:

brodband

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Good insight, thank you. I have another ir light that could be set up on the area. I know thermal is the way to go but for my casual night hunting this works fine. ( night pix don't show up well for some reason)
    also, with digital NV, some wavelengths of light aren't going to be visible. So not all IR will show up. Not sure if that scope will show a surefire vampires IR or not but I always carry one in my pocket. You can get them new for around 150-175 and allows you to have white light, then rotate the head for IR. Reaches out 100 yards easy enough. If you are in the Bay Minette area I can possibly swing by one day and show you

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    also, with digital NV, some wavelengths of light aren't going to be visible. So not all IR will show up. Not sure if that scope will show a surefire vampires IR or not but I always carry one in my pocket. You can get them new for around 150-175 and allows you to have white light, then rotate the head for IR. Reaches out 100 yards easy enough. If you are in the Bay Minette area I can possibly swing by one day and show you
    That would be great. I've got the evola focusable ir, runs on 16500? batt. Works great out to 150 or so, but has red glow..... and critters are smart!

Attachments

• Iep5q.jpg
      Iep5q.jpg
      90.7 KB · Views: 61
    Top Bottom