Patriot Mobile

If it saves one child, its worth it: Keep training your kids!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ammo is available for those willing to pay the price. For those that can't or won't, how is that impacting the training of your children? If people are cutailing their ammo useage to varioue egrees, are our children being cut out during these formative years. Are non live fire alternatives going to be effective and mantain interest? Adults using non live fire training alternatives have a better understanding of what they are trying to accomplish, some of that is lost on young minds: how long will a kid dry fire before it "boring" and they loose interest? Is training and or cartrige upgrade being delayed? "Leave no child behind" has never been so important, what if this ammo shortage/costs are long term: could we loose a Generation of kids and new to guns folks who will never transition to "gun enthusiasts" due to the expense of participating?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If there were a positive way that I could be sure that someones son would receive direct firearms training,I would either sell EXTREMELY cheaply,or even donate some 22 ammo to make that happen.
    Problem is - -> how to make sure that the fathers priority is not beer and cigs without insulting him. (???)
    To your point,I feel that the next generation of young men will neither care or even need any kind of firearms training whatsoever.
    Do sheep need pitchforks to defend themselves from the slaughter ?? --- SAWMAN

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If there were a positive way that I could be sure that someones son would receive direct firearms training,I would either sell EXTREMELY cheaply,or even donate some 22 ammo to make that happen.
    Problem is - -> how to make sure that the fathers priority is not beer and cigs without insulting him. (???)
    To your point,I feel that the next generation of young men will neither care or even need any kind of firearms training whatsoever.
    Do sheep need pitchforks to defend themselves from the slaughter ?? --- SAWMAN
    I'm right there with ya. I'd be willing to go with them to the range and sell the ammo at pre covid costs to make sure a kid gets to shoot.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, the shitballs taking advantage of this situation are the ones that I hope in the end get it back on them. And they will.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    does one have to have a son to participate?

I know that wasnt the intent, and not my intent of making this message either. But it does lead me into posting what I've been thinking for quite some time. My daughter turns 7 in 2 months, and we're not far from going that direction and starting some training. She's been behind the BB gun multiple times and likes it. She knows what daddy's guns are and isnt uncomfortable around them, also knows not to touch or mess with them without my presence. That being said, its only so many short years before she's home alone, or will have the strength and curiosity to manipulate the firearms (they're in a safe and she has no access to the code). I think we're near time to start the training regiment. I have been readying myself for this time and have a fair stash of .22lr ready, 22lr pistols and rifles available, with supressors to mitigate sound and recoil.

Daddy's getting excited!

added bonus, just got momma through a concealed carry course...finally! I never made her go, she finally decided now is the time. WINNING!!!

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    does one have to have a son to participate?

I know that wasnt the intent, and not my intent of making this message either. But it does lead me into posting what I've been thinking for quite some time. My daughter turns 7 in 2 months, and we're not far from going that direction and starting some training. She's been behind the BB gun multiple times and likes it. She knows what daddy's guns are and isnt uncomfortable around them, also knows not to touch or mess with them without my presence. That being said, its only so many short years before she's home alone, or will have the strength and curiosity to manipulate the firearms (they're in a safe and she has no access to the code). I think we're near time to start the training regiment. I have been readying myself for this time and have a fair stash of .22lr ready, 22lr pistols and rifles available, with supressors to mitigate sound and recoil.

Daddy's getting excited!

added bonus, just got momma through a concealed carry course...finally! I never made her go, she finally decided now is the time. WINNING!!!

I have a Son and a Daughter. Daughter is too young (20 months) but she will get all the exposure she wants (and if that is none - she will get a lot more than she wants).

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a son and two daughters, they are all young adults (20's). Started them when they were in their teens with my P85. They're not really "gun enthusiasts", but they know how to handle a gun/rifle and how to be responsible. Unfortunately, they would rather do something else, than go to the range and practice (either I am a shitty dad and didn't teach them right or they are lazy ass kids..leaning towards the shitty dad ;) excuse).

My youngest is currently living in Texas for college and travels, to and from PCola when she can. She has a Ruger LCP that she carries in a box when she is traveling and when she is at her condo in Texas. The last time she came down for Christmas, I took it out and wanted to clean it, but it had that Rem oil smell. I asked her if she cleaned it and she looked at me like I was a tard and said "yeah, I usually clean it before I come down here..", almost made me tear up....lol.
    But what I would say about the price of ammo and practice, there is always dry firing, snap caps, and laser targeting.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I try to encourage people coming for a CCW class to bring them for a safety class and i furnish ammo for them to shoot at no cost . some that come and call me and want to come back with the kids. I'm trying to do my part, I offed meanly on here that says they are looking for some place to take they kids to call me and set up some thing for them .but have very few calls that show up. , ball games and and other things get first , all you need too do is one day a month are every two Just my5 cents jj

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m trying to do my part as well. My daughter is 8 and has been around guns her entire life like I was. She started out with a red Ryder, and now has a single shot .22. She killed her first deer this year with “her” .22 hornet. I don’t think I have to worry about her losing interest any time soon...

Attachments

• 599B7161-E4E4-4878-A6AE-1137FC949425.jpeg
      599B7161-E4E4-4878-A6AE-1137FC949425.jpeg
      308.3 KB · Views: 64

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll just toss some "Starting" FWIW info out there. I was buying starter guns for my first born not long after his first breath of air. Okay, they were really for me but he could use them, Lol. Though I mentioned my Son (he showed up first), I trained my daughter, neices and nephews. Grandkids get some time in when they visit. Son (LE) started his kids with the same Ithaca M49 I started him with. My Daughter's Son isn't ready to start slinging lead yet but he knows the "Rules" and follows them with his Nerf guns. Pic is youngest Grandson at the Hallway Range, Lol.
    20210125_181754.jpg

I'll get this out of the way: Safety must be your Number One Lesson and reinforced that there is no progression without it, I won't beat this to death, that's your job. Lol. Remember that just because shooting is one of your passions, it may no be your kids (yet). Do it at their pace not your expectations. Training must be appropriate for age, comprehension and skill Level. Age appropriate results must also be celebrated. YOU must fully vet the chosen starter firearm even if brand new. Safety(s) manual/automatic, trigger pull, sights zeroed, sharp edges, clean unobstructed bore, cycles correctly and so on. At 6 feet 2 inches and 240lbs, you may look odd firing a tiny Cricket or Chipmonk but the purpose is justified. We also don't want kids to loose interest while the adult messes with the gun for 30 minutes.

Starting out, some folks use BB or .177/.22 pellet rifles; often with iron sights and very limited distance. Reloading piston guns requires reestablishing the shooting position with each time, then sight alignment/sight picture. I think this is the optimum time for iron sight introduction because of the long sight radious, steadier shooting poitions and no recoil fear/anticipation. Mastering iron sights (age appropriate) early in the process should make the non braced handgun iron sights an easier task, especially since handgun shooting positions are intrinsically less stable. Starting them on a shooting table (or prone) with bipod or bags for the firearm and a bench/booster seat as needed. If the kid has to stretch or contort just to get behind the firearm its not helping.

I think "adding" a scope into the pellet rifle mix is a better secondary Level. I believe young minds would appreciate what the scope provides in totality compared to irons. The desire to master iron sights "after" learning a scope probably won't hold the same desire to perfect their application of iron sights, they KNOW there's an easier way. It's human nature at kid level, path of least resistance. Training is not just about the Results, its about all the learning processes, struggles to overcome a lack of experience and various obstacles to achieve the improving result. Remember to address "Kabob Eye" even though it's just pellet gun, you will reinforce that later.

The down side of BB and .177/.22 rifles: Some may not have provisions for both iron sights and a scope. Budget friendly rifles are often lacking in repeatable shot to shot accuracy and combo scopes are normally mediocre. We need to keep targets close enough (with soft backstop) to be able to attain meaningful results. It's fine to back up target distance later and use a "gun accuracy" appropriate size bullseye. I think its a sound investment (even before the craziness) to purchase a much higher quality pellet rifle. It's a better trainer for new shooters because of its accuracy standard and you can actually diagnose target results . It's a proficiency tool for experienced shooters too. You move into improved repeatable accuracy at greater distances and it could be a real tool for small game and maximizing opportunities. There are truely fantastic high pressure and larger caliber pellet rifles if you wish to persue it further.

The .22LR can be a progression from the BB/pellet rifle or the starting point. Most of the above info also applies to starting with a .22 if that's the choice but initial distances are further and a run of the mill .22LR will be superior in accuracy. We often use what rifle we have but that may compromise other areas. There's still the issue of learning irons before scopes and the reloading/repositioning for each shot that I think is beneficial. A bolt action single shot may be optimal but any bolt gun or semi-auto will work fine: You control the ammo! Issue it to the new shooter one round at a time (trigger reset, follow up shots and other advancd skills come later). WE must resist our own impatience of providing a full mag. We want the newbie to learn all the basics of prep, position, reacquire sights and trigger control. Too much is lost when just aim/fire is allowed. Letting them blast away until they hit it was never practical and always a waste at the minimum and reinforce bad habits when it's more luck than skill when they do hit. The focus on each shot is more important than amount of shots attempted. This is even more impotant if you're ammo constrained. The actual length and weight (balance) of the rifle becomes more of an issue when training shifts off the gound/bench depending on the size of the shooter.

It shouldn't need to be said but we keep seeing new vids of kids shooting guns/ammo that is way above their stature and abilities. Don't subject, frighten or injure a kid for a few laughs or "Likes" on social media. We need to watch out for eyes/ears, little fingers by cyclinder/forcing cone gaps, eye sockets creeping toward scopes, actions pinching fingers, slide bite and hot brass to name a few hazards. Weare not merely teaching skills and having: We are teaching them about our Heritage, Liberty, Freedom and these are the tools and skills that secured it and must be maintained to protect it.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom