• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Fink

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Holsters, mag holders, tips or tricks for a newbie? Just wondering what everyone's opinions are on gear, I spoke with a few people about holsters at the match, but can't remember the brand we discussed. I used my XDM gear just to get started, it seemed to work ok should I keep using that or look into something better?

Skippy02

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. I prefer to use what I carry/use on the street. I use Blade Tech holsters and mag pouches as well as Fobus, both with no complaints or gripes. As for a belt i use 3 different belts, Original Special Operations Equipment rigger, Wolf Pack Tactical rigger and Dickeis heavy leather work belt.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I use the xds gear that came with it, also use the mag holder for 1911 mags. Fobus and bladetech make some affordable gun holsters as well. Ordered the bladetech on Amazon for about $25 and it works great. Right now I use a cheap 5.11 belt but would like to get a SOE gear or something like that in the $70 range.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the wilderness Tactical instructor belt to hang everything on, typically use comp-tac paddle holsters (but now that Jogan is making holsters, he will be my first choice), and I use a Raven Concealment / HSG Taco Pouch magazine carrier that accommodates any pistol magazine that I want.

But like skippy said, if it ain't broke don't fix it, the only thing I'd suggest is a good stiff belt so that your holsters / mag pouches stay where you want them.

Joe Fink

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Comp-tac, that's the one several were telling me about. Couldn't remember it, may have to check with Jogan. I would feel better having a holster the gun didn't stick out of the bottom.
    Thanks.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ran the same gear that came with my XDM. Once I realized I was hooked (1st match...!) I started looking at gear to make it all better. Got a comptac IWB holster and a decent belt. Then a few comptac mag carriers. Then another belt. Then another set of mag carriers for single stack mags. Then made friends at an IDPA match that made Kydex holsters. After he made me a few, he ran off to gunsmith school so I had to learn to make holsters myself!lol I can get you set up with a holster and mag carriers for your XDM. All you'll need is a decent belt. You can get the Wrangler "work" belt at walmart for $12 (I use this one 75% of the time at IDPA and 99% of the time outside of IDPA) or you can get any of the gun belts out there from $20-$130. The belt needs to be sturdy and designed to hold your gear. With my kydex holster, I can wear my stuff all day out in the sun running practices for over 8 hours and not feel the weight of it. With the stock XD gear holster, it felt like the gun was hanging down around my thighs after a few hours.

Joe Fink

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be interested in getting some info and prices from you on doing some kydex for me.

Last edited:

hukdizzle

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Comp-tac or bladetech for gun and mag holsters. I personally use a comp-tac international holster for my XDM 5.25" and really like it. It comes with an offset drop spacer that can be used for USPSA if you ever plan to shoot that as well, it also comes with a paddle if you fancy that instead of the belt attachment. I use the regular comp-tac single mag pouches but to be honest they are absurdly expensive for what they are. For a belt I wear a wilderness tactical double stitched instructor belt. I have gotten to the point where I wear the belt every day, it's a quality belt you can pick up for about $40.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Comp-tac, that's the one several were telling me about. Couldn't remember it, may have to check with Jogan. I would feel better having a holster the gun didn't stick out of the bottom.
    Thanks.

For my glock's, I use the comptac slide version, which is open ended and fits everything from a 34, to a 26, its nice to have the flexibility if you have more than one gun of the same style, but in different lengths.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How much handgun ammo do y'all use? I'm working on coming to shoot one day since it's starting to cool off. Cause do want to come out looking crazy.

Skippy02

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a standard IDPA event we typically run about 1 fifty round box of ammo but that fluctuates a little and doesn't include any additional side match shooting. I typically bring 2 boxes with and return with several mags worth of ammo at the end of the day

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lately, we've been running through about 40-50 rounds in a match

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Last match, IIRC, it was 16 rounds for 3 stages. That's 48, then I shot 4 at the side match. I'd say bring 100. You never know when you'll need a re-do. Having said that, I usually bring 100-150. Hope that helps.

Bottom line, as long as you come out with a gun, a holster, a mag pouch and some ammo, you should be good to go, if the need for anything else should arise, we'd be glad to help.

No need to worry about anyone else, you're really only competing against yourself.

Top Bottom