• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    Every gun I have sold on this Forum has been cleaned to the best possible level before being transferred to the buyer. The new, unfired ones even got a once over. I walked away from a gun deal due to the fact "IT WAS FILTHY"! The last gun I bought recently was the same way. This time, something inside me said we are not doing this again! Sorry, have a good day.
    Just my opinion, but if you are going to sell a grungy gun, put in your post it's grungy. Just seeing the grunge made me think the gun was not well maintained. It may sound trivial to some that I walked away because of material condition.

Anyone else feel the way I do?

Some people don't understand how to clean their own gun.

I've bought some dirty ones but the powder soot you could wipe off with a finger, not crusted to it.

Now the people when you show up and the gun is not as described or some major detail left out like bubba tried to mount a rail on a receiver and used a hand drill to put the holes in.. nope.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    Yeah that's certainly a turn off. Years ago I purchased a pistol from a forum member, in the factory case with all the OEM goods. Get home and proceed to field strip, look down the barrel after removal...a German cockroach is looking me eye to eye. I kept the gun though and sent the roach on a 9mm rocket!

Welldoya

Master
    It depends on the price. I’ve bought dirty guns cheap, cleaned them up and they were fine but I’m not paying top $ for a dirty gun.
    Two guns I’ve bought over the years were not in pristine condition but ended up being two of the most useful guns I owned because I wasn’t afraid of scratching them. They were already scratched. But the price reflected the condition.
    A 1961 Win 94 30/30 for $70 and a 1972 Ruger 10/22 for $50. I used the heck out of those guns.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    I don’t mind buying a dirty gun, but I agree with Welldoya, I’m not paying top dollar for something that someone didn’t bother to clean.
    Even if it’s perfectly clean, I always at least field strip, lubricate and reassemble any new purchase. I don’t trust it unless I’ve gone through it personally.
    Sometimes a really dirty firearm can be hiding unseen flaws or problems though.

FLT

Master
    Depends on the price, I’ve bought a few that hadn’t been cleaned in some time. However I didn’t pay top price for them.

RackinRay

Master
    It is becoming more often that a used gun I buy is dirty. If the price was right, I clean it up to my standards.

Honestly, I clean all guns I buy to my standards so no biggie to me.

One recently bought lost some issues once cleaned.

Later inspection on the revolver showed some rough edges on the cylinder that needed to be smoothed out. I filed those cylinder face issues down with needle files, and once I chamfered the edges of the cylinder, the pistol is running really slick!

Last edited:

Brockskennedy

Marksman
    The only issue I have with a dirty gun is my inability to view the bore clearly.

I bring a bore snake for these circumstances.

The first thing I do when I get home is clean the gun so I really don't mind. More times than not the guns I have bought are unsat for cleanliness.

On the other side of this, I will never sell a dirty gun. I recently sold my marlin model 60 and upon cleaning it I found that the bolt buffer was shattered in the gun. I ordered a new one after an agreement with the buyer and saved myself from looking dishonest.

5lima30ret

Master
    The problem with buying a dirty gun is that gummed up CLP or Rem-oil that has set for a year or two can hide damaged slide rails, pitted bore, or worse Bubba gunsmithing! :mad:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    a bore snake will never clean a dirty barrel enough for a proper inspection. A lot of things can hide under carbon and copper. They are great to pull through before you shoot.

M60Gunner

Master
    Bought a shotgun from a member and got it home and disassembled and it looked like it had never been cleaned. Really bad sludge I thought it was so bad I may have been scammed lol. Once everything cleaned up it was good but prob the worst I have ever seen.

Hitman29

Shooter
    I'm a lot pickier than most on this. Unless the gun is new, it's probably going to get a detail strip and cleaning anyway. It definitely does reflect in the price I'd pay, and if it's so dirty that a lot of important details are impossible to see, then I'll probably just walk away from it.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    I empathize/understand. I just got tired of buying dirty guns and cleaning them. 90% of the time it wasn’t a problem, but there was a significant number of times that flaws were not evident.
    I just passed up a fairly good deal on a firearm I have wanted for a long time because it was not clean. And by not clean I mean you could not look down the barrel and see lands and grooves. When I told the gentleman that I did not buy dirty weapons, he was offended. He immediately broke contact. My intention was to offer to clean the weapon for him prior to purchase, but I was not given the opportunity. I may let him wait a day or two and reengage. Or I may go elsewhere.

I empathize/understand. I just got tired of buying dirty guns and cleaning them. 90% of the time it wasn’t a problem, but there was a significant number of times that flaws were not evident.
    I just passed up a fairly good deal on a firearm I have wanted for a long time because it was not clean. And by not clean I mean you could not look down the barrel and see lands and grooves. When I told the gentleman that I did not buy dirty weapons, he was offended. He immediately broke contact. My intention was to offer to clean the weapon for him prior to purchase, but I was not given the opportunity. I may let him wait a day or two and reengage. Or I may go elsewhere.
    Tell us who it is so we can publicly shame them on not taking proper care of their weapons.

Top Bottom