• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    I bought a rifle that someone, not me, may have used loctite on the pug screws, than later had a change of heart. I'm guessing. In their quest to remove, the pug screws were damaged to the point they no longer have a good bite. I was thinking Easy Out Screw Extractor but that would be challenging to do without damage to surrounding metal. The barrel metal in this case is blued carbon steel. I don't even know if an Easy Out is made that small. I think the plug screws are either 6/48 or 8/40. It would require a very talented person, not me. Of course I've thought of drilling and tapping new holes such that a new sight would hide the old holes. But I would know about it. My OCD would not permit that solution. Not yet anyway. I could leave it alone and use a scope. But again we're talking OCD here. My ideal preference is to mount a Skinner peep sight which requires a front sight of course. I appreciate in advance any thought time and suggestions folks would give to my dilemma.

1663944407078.jpeg

Last edited:

Higher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought a rifle that someone, not me, may have used loctite on the filler screws, than later had a change of heart. I'm guessing. In their quest to remove, the filler screws were damaged to the point they no longer have a good bite. I was thinking Easy Out Screw Extractor but that would be challenging to do without damage to surrounding metal. I don't even know if an Easy Out is made that small. I think the plug screws are either 6/48 or 8/40. It would require a very talented person, not me. Of course I've thought of drilling and tapping new holes such that a new sight would hide the old holes. But I would know about it. My OCD would not permit that solution. Not yet anyway. I could leave it alone and use a scope. But again we're talking OCD here. My ideal preference is to mount a Skinner peep sight which requires a front sight of course. I appreciate in advance any thought time and suggestions folks would give to my dilemma.

View attachment 185647
    That’s a tough one! I’ve had success in the past with left hand drill bits. Purchased these from Napa auto parts. I would suggest vise- padded of course- drill press and some pin point heat to deactivate the locktite. Center punch to start but. As you use the left hand bit it gives you a good chance of backing out that screw with just the drill bit. I’ve only used this technique on out board motors so no guarantees!, good luck though, will be watching for progress and solutions, jimmy

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best done in a milling machine . A soldering iron will loosen loctite w/o damaging finish . Left-handed bit will sometimes " grab " & back it out on it's own threads . Few different tricks . Have you asked Oneshot? . Don't screw that barrel up over a couple of filler screws . Worth paying to have it done right .

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Best done in a milling machine . A soldering iron will loosen loctite w/o damaging finish . Left-handed bit will sometimes " grab " & back it out on it's own threads . Few different tricks . Have you asked Oneshot? . Don't screw that barrel up over a couple of filler screws . Worth paying to have it done right .
    I'm hoping he will notice my thread and respond. I absolutely agree. It's "worth paying to have it done right." Someone a lot smarter than I am once said "a mans gotta know his limitations".

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    one sure way @oneshot might see it...maybe he heard that

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I wonder if you can simply countersink them a bit then have someone tack a stainless weld over the top of them. Then buff them smooth?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I think your issue would be best addressed by good quality gunsmith. If @oneshot can't do it take it to Greener Fields on Alston Street in Foley next to the Fire Department, he can definitely do it.
    Yeah I've used him a few times. He's a cool fella that does great work. Good prices on his guns too

Sal111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That’s a tough one! I’ve had success in the past with left hand drill bits. Purchased these from Napa auto parts. I would suggest vise- padded of course- drill press and some pin point heat to deactivate the locktite. Center punch to start but. As you use the left hand bit it gives you a good chance of backing out that screw with just the drill bit. I’ve only used this technique on out board motors so no guarantees!, good luck though, will be watching for progress and solutions, jimmy
    That's good advice. Guessing it's red loctite. Just take your time,you'll be able to do it. Good luck.

Sal111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Amazon has them anywhere from $15-$150. Some Lowes and Home Depot have them in stock though not all. Usually comes in a kit with screw extractors.

Members online

Top Bottom