• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Well the Hurricane came and went and while I didn't get much here at home I can't say the same for the hunt camp.

All things considered though, my brother and I faired a lot better than others and for that we are thankful.

The hunt camp itself only sustained very minor damage to the front porch area. Those that have been there know it was old and needed replacing so not a big deal. The big deal is the main structure appears undamaged.

My brother's house, which was initially built in 1895 but relocated in the early 90's to the property, referred to locally as The Bishop House, got hit. The damage is mainly the back third of the add-on porch. Part of that roof area ties into the kitchen and once we get the tree and damaged wood out of the way we will know how much damage is really there... but for now, it looks repairable.

Thankfully a tree caught this tree that would have certainly done damage to the front.

Trees hitting structures has always been a concern of ours and we had been slowly and selectively removing trees... guess we should have gave it a better effort. I can assure you... going forward after the clean up, every tree that has the potential of hitting something is coming down ASAP. I've even started doing that here at home. I like trees, but from now on I will not have trees that can hit something.

NOW THE BEST PART...

I arrived in Aucilla yesterday about 10:30. I was stopped about a mile from my place by a tree too large for me to handle. A stranger pulled up (he is part of a 350 acre hunt lease there) and we talked about an alternate route that would get me to my property but it's about 3 1/2 miles through the woods and it was sure to be blocked by trees and flooded. He offered to help move some trees so we struck a trail... I had no idea he was going to see this through with the same determination I had to get to my property. His attitude was like mine... we will go until we can go no more. He had no reason to get to anywhere, he just recognized by desperation and simply decided to help.

It took us about eight hours to make our way arriving just before dark, it was hard going, tons of trees we had to cur and move, some small, some large. I got stuck a few times and his 4wd was able to get me out and we kept going. I never would have made it to the property without him.

I was quite taken aback at his willingness to spend his day helping a total stranger in the manner in which he did. I could never repay him for the help he gave me. I gained a renewed sense of hope as it pertains to people.

I've already got a $100 gift card to Cabela's/Bass Pro along with a $50 card to Outback for him as I told him I was going to buy him a T-Bone. I plan to have him at the camp soon for a good meal and a nice drink.

The only other damage so far was to my driver side fender, we had to go through some rough shit and I guess I kissed a tree along the way but did not realize it. I'll visit a local body shop and have it repaired as I love my old 2010 F-150...

I know a lot of people got hammered and my damage pales in comparison. I realize just how lucky my brother and I were on this one...

Latest posts

Top Bottom