• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Love hunting in light rain, deer and turkey love it to. Was watching the weather this afternoon and talked my self in to hitting the woods at 2:00 as no apparent lightening was near by. This time of the year with the bucks chasing I like to hunt the APCO transmission line right of way through our lease. Now on this right of way are several tall chicken house grain bins that I made shooting houses out of 25 years ago, love them as they are spacious and roomy and you’re sitting way off the ground, i imagine the floor I built in them are at least 18’ off the ground. Well here’s what happened while ago, I get settled in to one that’s on top of a hill, can see one 4 acre plot to my west and a 3 acre plot to my east. I’m scared of lightning and always have been and don’t mess around taking chances, I heard thunder maybe 10 miles south of me and heard some probably that far away to the northwest of me so I check the radar on my phone and looks like anything to be concerned about was going to bypass me and I could enjoy the slow pitter patter of the light drizzle this evening and watch a bunch of deer. All of a sudden, there’s a low glow or illumination in the grain bin and I knew it had to be static electricity and a very close lightning strike was fixing to happen, and sure enough BAAAAM, the grain bin shook and rocked and I had a glimpse of the bolt as it hit in the pines about 50-75 yards away. I grabbed my gear in one swift swoop and the rifle and I came down the ladder faster than a fireman headed to his fire truck. Got in my Trooper and got the hell out of Dodge, today was my lucky day. Somebody up in the clouds sent me a warning. Those of you that are curious about the grain bins I can tell you that the are not underneath the power lines, APCO requires us to have all shooting houses in edge of the woods here, have had to move them several times to meet their restrictions when they decide to widen the right of way. Ya’ll be careful hunting on rainy days, be safe to live another day to enjoy the wildlife. Enjoying a good toddy now watching the 49er’s and Eagle’s game.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Here’s a pic of the one I was sitting in this evening, I imagine I’m going to have to move it again in to edge of the woods, power company widened the right of way again late last summer, they’ll come by and tag it like in the past, not an easy thing to do but I’ve moved it 3 times in 25 years

Attachments

• 7CBDB0D1-6F03-4CD8-BE24-84136346674F.jpeg
      7CBDB0D1-6F03-4CD8-BE24-84136346674F.jpeg
      691 KB · Views: 45

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here’s a pic of the one I was sitting in this evening, I imagine I’m going to have to move it again in to edge of the woods, power company widened the right of way again late last summer, they’ll come by and tag it like in the past, not an easy thing to do but I’ve moved it 3 times in 25 years
    I love it. Moon capsule!!

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Here’s a pic of another one on a smaller plot, these things were given to me years ago and had a chance to get a bunch of them but I had the only trailer to haul them on one at a time and had to drive about 60 miles one way to get them, wish I had of got all I could then, they’ll last forever. There not perfect, bent places on them, but were free, see tons of deer sitting in them

Attachments

• 8AE9D0E8-E37A-4DFB-8C6D-1502F9BFEB97.png
      8AE9D0E8-E37A-4DFB-8C6D-1502F9BFEB97.png
      1.2 MB · Views: 44
    • F4BD5DC6-F232-4378-93E5-C9BE6A263315.jpeg
      F4BD5DC6-F232-4378-93E5-C9BE6A263315.jpeg
      648 KB · Views: 44

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still remember being above timberline during a thunderstorm. Lighting strikes forming fulgurites and the sharp scent of sulfur from the brimstone. Made me slip my rifle off my shoulder while laying prone. Not an experience I'd like to have ever again. Thankfully God looks after dogs, drunks, and sailors. Perhaps not in that exact order? Enjoy the toddie.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sipping on some blueberry moonshine, yes it’s legal, my son lives in Dothan and brings it to me. It’s made in Headland AL.
    Sure is good stuff

Attachments

• 1CF3773B-7B8A-4978-B492-02B938AED26C.jpeg
      1CF3773B-7B8A-4978-B492-02B938AED26C.jpeg
      316.4 KB · Views: 37
    • F622F1BA-FC29-48AA-900F-AAB06AF5DD45.jpeg
      F622F1BA-FC29-48AA-900F-AAB06AF5DD45.jpeg
      276.4 KB · Views: 39
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sipping on some blueberry moonshine, yes it’s legal, my son lives in Dothan and brings it to me. It’s made in Headland AL.
    Sure is good stuff
    Georgia peach ain't to bad either, but sometimes a little Black Seal Rum sneaks it's way into the Twinnings Earl Grey. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_180803768.jpg
      IMG_20230129_180803768.jpg
      271.6 KB · Views: 35

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Love hunting in light rain, deer and turkey love it to. Was watching the weather this afternoon and talked my self in to hitting the woods at 2:00 as no apparent lightening was near by. This time of the year with the bucks chasing I like to hunt the APCO transmission line right of way through our lease. Now on this right of way are several tall chicken house grain bins that I made shooting houses out of 25 years ago, love them as they are spacious and roomy and you’re sitting way off the ground, i imagine the floor I built in them are at least 18’ off the ground. Well here’s what happened while ago, I get settled in to one that’s on top of a hill, can see one 4 acre plot to my west and a 3 acre plot to my east. I’m scared of lightning and always have been and don’t mess around taking chances, I heard thunder maybe 10 miles south of me and heard some probably that far away to the northwest of me so I check the radar on my phone and looks like anything to be concerned about was going to bypass me and I could enjoy the slow pitter patter of the light drizzle this evening and watch a bunch of deer. All of a sudden, there’s a low glow or illumination in the grain bin and I knew it had to be static electricity and a very close lightning strike was fixing to happen, and sure enough BAAAAM, the grain bin shook and rocked and I had a glimpse of the bolt as it hit in the pines about 50-75 yards away. I grabbed my gear in one swift swoop and the rifle and I came down the ladder faster than a fireman headed to his fire truck. Got in my Trooper and got the hell out of Dodge, today was my lucky day. Somebody up in the clouds sent me a warning. Those of you that are curious about the grain bins I can tell you that the are not underneath the power lines, APCO requires us to have all shooting houses in edge of the woods here, have had to move them several times to meet their restrictions when they decide to widen the right of way. Ya’ll be careful hunting on rainy days, be safe to live another day to enjoy the wildlife. Enjoying a good toddy now watching the 49er’s and Eagle’s game.
    I have been close to such strikes; and when I hear thunder close there is no flight/fight pause I run. Last time I was walking away from an HQ building with 3 others. By the time they recovered from ducking, and turned, I was 50 ft away holding the door for them to run in. One guy said he could not believe something as big and old as I was could move so fast. No pause, GONE!

Edit: I like hunting in the rain. On Adak AK, if it was only raining it was banner good hunting weather!

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Only saw 2 deer this morning, a little 4 point buck and a doe, while I was sitting on the power line

Top Bottom