• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before I start, I just want to stress that I am not looking to copy anyone's load data. I also know there are some better powders than HS-6 for this development, I just happen to have a lot of it and I'm tired of chasing the better powders that are always out of stock. I have a bunch of RMR 124 grain MPR hollow points. I've already plunk tested a bunch of dummies up to 1.140 in my Beretta, Stribog and Sig P938, though these will be going in my Beretta LTT and Stribog SP9A1 (I prefer 135gr Hornady in the Sig). Brass is Winchester once fired, primers are CCI 500s.

So with that out of the way, the reason for the post is my Hornady manual stops at 5.9 gr @ 1.060 OAL, and the Hodgdon site stops at 6.1 gr @ 1.060 OAL, both using the Hornady XTP as a sample projectile. Since longer OALs are not in the manuals (that I have), and I know people have gone higher in OAL and powder weight safely with HS-6, I am wondering what sweet spots people have found with their +P or near +P defensive loads, that reliably fed. I don't NEED to work up to an ultimate high end on the charge, but I would like to push the RMR 124s to their recommended velocity of 1150-1200 fps for reliable expansion, and I'm curious to see what worked well for others, so I can have some idea of what to expect or not expect.
    I'll be starting my development at the middle of the specified range, 5.9 gr @ 1.090", up to 6.2 gr. After those are deemed safe, I would start looking to tweak this series looking for the best velocity with a safe OAL \ higher charge combo. Your time and experiences are appreciated!

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Only HS6 load I got is SIE 125JHP , CCI 500 , 6.6grs HS6 , oal 1.075 , only 1080fps . Check on Brian Enos forum 9mm major you'll see what's what .

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, that is on the low end of velocity for sure for the amount of powder. Hodgdon lists standard max load with 124 gr XTP \ 6.1gr @ 1.060" with a max velocity of 1136.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My books don't have HS-6 as a powder option for 9mm+p, but in my experience, the Hornady manual is quite conservative on loads, with the same powder/bullet combos in other books and websites usually being a good bit higher. You can always slowly work up to the desired velocities, watching for pressure signs like flattened primers. My dad loads with HS-6, just got off the phone with him, his Beretta 92fs runs speer gold dot 124's with 6.6gr of HS-6 under it at 1.10 OAL according to his notes. Granted, that's something he worked up with that particular gun, but he says there's no pressure signs or anything. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My books don't have HS-6 as a powder option for 9mm+p, but in my experience, the Hornady manual is quite conservative on loads, with the same powder/bullet combos in other books and websites usually being a good bit higher. You can always slowly work up to the desired velocities, watching for pressure signs like flattened primers. My dad loads with HS-6, just got off the phone with him, his Beretta 92fs runs speer gold dot 124's with 6.6gr of HS-6 under it at 1.10 OAL according to his notes. Granted, that's something he worked up with that particular gun, but he says there's no pressure signs or anything. Obviously, your mileage may vary.
    That info from your dad is right in my ballpark of the same firearm, and the exact same OAL I'm about to use on this next batch from 5.9-6.2 grains. Different barrel than the 92fs, but it's useful to know the experience he had with his setup. I've already made a batch from 5.6-5.8 grains at the specified OAL of 1.060", so the second batch will push up to the max limit @ 1.10" and .1 grains beyond max to see if it's safe.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That info from your dad is right in my ballpark of the same firearm, and the exact same OAL I'm about to use on this next batch from 5.9-6.2 grains. Different barrel than the 92fs, but it's useful to know the experience he had with his setup. I've already made a batch from 5.6-5.8 grains at the specified OAL of 1.060", so the second batch will push up to the max limit @ 1.10" and .1 grains beyond max to see if it's safe.
    lengthening the bullet adds more case capacity, altering pressure slightly. Being a 92fs, it's got a pretty forgiving chamber and will accept longer heavier bullets than most. He said that with his load, he gets around 1150fps out of a 5" barrel that's seen probably 10k+ rounds through it (though it still looks near new when you look at the rifling)

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lengthening the bullet adds more case capacity, altering pressure slightly. Being a 92fs, it's got a pretty forgiving chamber and will accept longer heavier bullets than most. He said that with his load, he gets around 1150fps out of a 5" barrel that's seen probably 10k+ rounds through it (though it still looks near new when you look at the rifling)
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully I chrono similar velocities when I get to my third round of testing. I made that batch last night, 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, and 6.6. I'm going to bring series 2 and series 3 to the range this afternoon and see how it goes.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tests went perfectly today. Aside from getting velocity in the high 1100's with an SD of 7, it burned super clean, was very accurate at 15 yards, and had no pressure, feeding or ejection issues. Very happy with it and I'm glad because I have so much of it. I originally was going to just use it for my 147 grain XTP, but it's going to be a go to for both now.

Top Bottom