• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just add 16 in barrel and butt stock ?

How legal? This was a shipped Pistol Lower..

My understanding is,, this is all that is necessary.

Also that if lower shipped as a rifle lower it can NOT be turned into a pistol Lower

I forget details.

Can someone enlighten me

Thanks

Last edited:

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?​

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
    Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).
    [26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With a silver sharpie...write "Go F%^ Yourself" on the business end.

Sorry for the sarcasm on your serious post. I, of course comply with all laws, executive actions, etc...and am just a bitter old fart.
    ALL GOOD BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Also that if lower shipped as a rifle lower it can NOT be turned into a pistol Lower

I forget details.

Can someone enlighten me

Thanks
    Perhaps your gun smith can weld on a CAR type flash hider to get to the 16 inch length.

Normally I would just remove the brace if that is still remains legal with any new laws.

I still think the ADA still applies and that was reason the ATF was forced by lawyer I think from SIG to allow braces. So they obviously can not outlaw all braces and maybe not be able to outlaw any of them.
    Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications.

1617890308546.png

Last edited:

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been mulling over turning my 11 in pistol AR to a 16in faxon gunner lightweight Rifle anyway before this so.....
    Might be selling a 11in faxon gunner barrel,gastube/block

PaulT

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the most important thing to do, is to tell the whole world, via the internet, what you plan to do.
    as IF anything else is Private :rolleyes: o_O:oops:even IF you don't. In fact I believe the Lower Profile you have,, the more they want about you.;)

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I forget details.

Can someone enlighten me

Thanks
    You seem to have answered most of your questions with your second post.

If it started configured-life as a pistol, then it can go back-and-forth pistol/rifle/pistol. Technically, it needs the barrel to be 16 inches (or longer) if it ever has a stock on it.

If it started configured-life as a rifle, then it technically can't be made into a pistol. Only can be made into a short-barreled rifle, with all of the associated paperwork.

If shipped from a manufacturer as a lower receiver with No Upper, it doesn't matter if it had a "stock" or a brace: it wasn't configured, yet. It doesn't matter if the receiver tube is mil-spec with 5 holes, 6 holes, fat round, covered in neoprene, etc. Should've been logged as an "other". It technically matters what it is first built as, so always build 'em as a pistol first.

Do you only have a 16" barreled upper? Leave the stock OFF and attach the upper. It's now built as a pistol with a 16" barrel. Put the stock on, and it's a rifle with a 16" barrel. Buy a 10.5" barreled upper. Remove the stock. Swap the uppers. It's now a pistol with a 10.5" barrel. Add a brace just because you want to. Still a 10.5" pistol. Swap the uppers again, now it's a 16" barreled pistol. Swap the brace for the stock, and now it's a 16" rifle again.

Every AR I ever built started life as a pistol. Period.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He is giving them 60 days to come up with any new rules...I am keeping ALL mine as grandfathered, otherwise it is unconstitutional.
    Apparently a bumpstock is considered a bastard with no grandfather, and I imagine this surprised many bumpstock owners.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Grandfathering our own property and "allowing" us to keep it does NOT make something constitutional.

Top Bottom