• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greenlinearms

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a type 1 FFL now. I am wanting to get into Suppressors and other weapons that require 3 SOT. can someone tell me how I would go about getting that? I have heard you have to get interviewed again; others say you don't. I have heard that to wait till July because you pay the 500 every July regardless. some say just fell out the FFL application again and send it in. so I am not sure what is what.
    thanks in advance.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a type 1 FFL now. I am wanting to get into Suppressors and other weapons that require 3 SOT. can someone tell me how I would go about getting that? I have heard you have to get interviewed again; others say you don't. I have heard that to wait till July because you pay the 500 every July regardless. some say just fell out the FFL application again and send it in. so I am not sure what is what.
    thanks in advance.

Be careful... a simple typo now days will get you cancelled out...:cool:

Looks easy and straight forward according to this:

HOW TO GET A CLASS 3 LICENSE

In order to get a Class 3 license you first have to have the appropriate 01 or 02 FFL.

The 01 FFL is for dealing in firearms and gunsmithing. So if you just want to sell or repair guns, you get an 01 FFL. It cannot be used for manufacturing. The 02 FFL is for pawnbrokers, so again just general retail sales of firearms.

That’s why the Class 3 License or really Class 3 SOT is paired with these two FFL’s. It’s the one that permits retail sale of NFA devices when combined with a retail FFL.

So, assuming you have the correct FFL, you have to file a special form with the ATF and pay a tax. The form is pretty straightforward and mostly wants information about your existing FFL and revenue information to determine if you qualify for a reduced rate.

Once you fill that out and submit it with the annual $500 fee, then the ATF will usually approve it in a reasonable length of time.

Last edited:

greenlinearms

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be careful... a simple typo now days will get you cancelled out...:cool:

Looks easy and straight forward according to this:

HOW TO GET A CLASS 3 LICENSE

In order to get a Class 3 license you first have to have the appropriate 01 or 02 FFL.

The 01 FFL is for dealing in firearms and gunsmithing. So if you just want to sell or repair guns, you get an 01 FFL. It cannot be used for manufacturing. The 02 FFL is for pawnbrokers, so again just general retail sales of firearms.

That’s why the Class 3 License or really Class 3 SOT is paired with these two FFL’s. It’s the one that permits retail sale of NFA devices when combined with a retail FFL.

So, assuming you have the correct FFL, you have to file a special form with the ATF and pay a tax. The form is pretty straightforward and mostly wants information about your existing FFL and revenue information to determine if you qualify for a reduced rate.

Once you fill that out and submit it with the annual $500 fee, then the ATF will usually approve it in a reasonable length of time.
    thanks for the info. do you mean a typo on this form?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    thanks for the info. do you mean a typo on this form?

I was referring to your typo in your initial post (fell vs. fill)... I highlighted it in red. Was an attempt at humor as lately FFL's have been having their licenses revoked for very minor issues, at least that's what the internet says.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe he's referring to typos on 4473s getting businesses FFLs revoked...

Richonsa

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had a 01 in GA. When I decided to get into NFA, I filled out the form and paid the $500. I received 03 paper within days.

Top Bottom