Patriot Mobile

How to fix buggered up 7/8x14 thread in aluminum Dillon press?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Helping a widow dispose of her late husband's reloading stuff. There is an ancient Dillon RL450, so old that it has a serial number on a plate on the frame. The fourth reloading die hole has a buggered up thread. The press can be used as-is unless the caliber calls for having a die in that fourth hole, in which case a die will not screw in. I know one might send it to Dillon and maybe they'd replace the frame, but it's neat to have one with a serial number. Is there a tool or die that can be used to unbugger 7/8x14 threads? (not that I'd have the mechanical expertise to use such a tool). This is a hole in the frame that the reloading die screws into. This old Dillon does not use the removable die plate like the new Dillons use.

Thank you

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A 7/8 X 14 tap would fix that, I think. It shouldn’t be to difficult to recut the threads in the aluminum frame. The tap seems reasonable priced.
    99C6680E-8A9F-4AC2-8538-A21809BBA833.png

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've seen people make thier own taps too if the size is rare or pricey.. or simply not have the right tools. But u can take a bolt that fits that size hole. And take a grinder and cut a slanted cut into the threads vertically. And then run the bolt into the hole. And the cut will re cut the threads. I'll find a video

There. This guy uses the trick with home made tap bolts. One tip tho is to buy the hardest bolt possible. So long as the metal is one grade tougher than the metal u want cut.. it will in theory cut it. Not the other way around. Not sure if this helps in this case. But a neat trick to know none the less

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would angle grind the end area of a bolt of the same thread down a bit (2 threads?) try hard to get it to screw in from the bottom side or both sides. If you get it started light tapping with a small hammer and some wiggling as you thread further in to restore the buggered threads would be ideal.

A small triangle file end or a big ol Buck knife can be used to straighten buggered threads near the top.

This method would retain the most original material. I'm thinking if it was soft enough to be buggered it should work back a bit with some effort.

I'd try that before a tap only because a tap will cut off more material. If above won't work tap it. If after tapping it's still ugly or too loose install a helicoil. No offense but most "pencil pushers types" aren't capable of installing a helicoil.

Good luck with your helping the widow.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i was going to build a dedicated press with the old frame I have when I got around to buying the parts. I'll let it go if you need it Daezee

An RL550 frame is only about $153 to convert it over to a 550

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The hole with the buggered threads goes all the way through. Guess I should've taken a photo. Next time I'm at her house I'll take a magnifying glass and light and try to figure out what's wrong with the threads. A reloading die will not even start to thread into it. I just didn't want to screw it up more than it is already.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Get a long enough steel bolt with that thread pattern, and run it through. If the thread on top of plate is buggered up, run it through from the under side. That should clean and re-establish the threads as it is aluminum the threads are in.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I tried screwing in a reloading die from the bottom...couldn’t get it that way either.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I tried screwing in a reloading die from the bottom...couldn’t get it that way either.
    That might be a UNF with a tapered hole. So yea going from the other side would be a challenge.

You know if you send it to Dillon they will send you another one for free. Remember when I got that XL650....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey Bruce. Take it to JJ and have him "chase" the threads for you.
    Should be doable if simply cross threaded.
    Give him a call. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    That might be a UNF with a tapered hole. So yea going from the other side would be a challenge.

You know if you send it to Dillon they will send you another one for free. Remember when I got that XL650....

My "problem" is that if I get this Dillon I'd like to keep the frame as it is serial numbered...Dillon only applied a serial number plaque and kept track of them by number for a short time before they realized the extra cost/hassle that was costing them and stopped doing it. Sorta like having a low serial number firearm or automobile. When I go back to the widow's house I'll take a photo so all know what I'm talking about. It's just that it's a neat feature that adds nothing to the purpose of the reloader. My friend was always proud of it, as he'd never seen another one serial numbered. He was one of the first to purchase a Dillon when they came out. When he called Dillon once to order some parts he asked if they wanted the serial number, and the person answering had no idea of what he was talking about nor what to do with that info.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My "problem" is that if I get this Dillon I'd like to keep the frame as it is serial numbered...Dillon only applied a serial number plaque and kept track of them by number for a short time before they realized the extra cost/hassle that was costing them and stopped doing it. Sorta like having a low serial number firearm or automobile. When I go back to the widow's house I'll take a photo so all know what I'm talking about. It's just that it's a neat feature that adds nothing to the purpose of the reloader. My friend was always proud of it, as he'd never seen another one serial numbered. He was one of the first to purchase a Dillon when they came out. When he called Dillon once to order some parts he asked if they wanted the serial number, and the person answering had no idea of what he was talking about nor what to do with that info.
    I need to look at this for you... I am heading to the property later this week to bush hog and clean up. I will email you or text later.

BTW I posted in the airgun area. LOL It was hard for me to decide to post this here. I guess just bored. :(

SODAPOPMG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    it depends on how buggered up it is if not bad try running a die or bolt up from the bottom using plenty of oil to reform the threads
    this is guessing that it is buggered up at the top
    or you can helicoil it requires drilling and tapping
    have a machinist drill and tap all the holes for Hornadays breach lock bushings
    or buy a new frame of ebay they pop us regularly

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yes. With nothing to lose, I started a steel die an nth of a turn until it stopped. Applied a more pressure and it screwed right in. Threads did not appear to be damaged. Tried two other dies just to make sure, and they screwed right in. At that point I felt the press was now fine, I offered it for sale, and it sold. The new owner is pleased with it. $ went to my friend's widow.

Top Bottom