• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LUBING THE AR: This must be the most beaten to death topic that there is.
    This fellow makes his own lube from mixing synthetic grease with synthetic motor oil. What am wondering about is the amount of it that he applies. He is quick in reminding people to keep the lube out of the chamber and off the bolt face.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not even gonna watch it.
    Already formed an opinion.
    ROYAL PITA !!
    Is his lube better than lubes that you can find at the store or on line costing $7.95 ??
    I clean and lube my firearms every time they leave the house. Even if I do not shoot them they are wiped down and re- lubed. In dollars,how much do Ispend a year on lubes,oils,greases ?? Maybe $6.00. A small tube of gun grease will last me 10years+.
    To each their own,just not for me. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He makes his lube because it is cheaper he says and what I was interested was how he literally used tons of it on a gun that I thought was not a good idea.
    A small tube would likely only last for one gun the way he throws it around.

Lubing the BCG. Shows how much he is applying.
    1605980960895.png

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been using my home brew Mobil 1/ Marvel Mystery Oil (50/50 mix) for quite a few years with great results! It makes cleaning my AR's and AK a snap! (I use cheap & dirty steel case ammo mostly). YMMV!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    FrommerStop said "What am wondering about is the amount of it that he applies." My take on what he said is it doesn't matter. It also doesn't matter in what position you store your gun after cleaning. The lubricant is going to migrate to where it needs to be. Either method #1 or method #2 the lubricant will migrate. I knew AR's like to run wet but I never realized how wet and they will still run. There is another YouTuber I think he's in the military advocates using clean fresh multi-grade motor (10W30) oil. And for the same reason, cost. I think his handle is "Regular Guy Training". I think they differ a little on how wet to run an AR. Regular Guy advocates very well luded but not saturated. I guess there in lies the controversy and discussion.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First one minimal lube and second larry vickers on using a lot of lube.

Larry Vickers on
    The Myth of Over Lubrication

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll keep using remoil. And grease on the C308. Lol.
    My experience with some low viscosity lubes is that once a gun gets hot, they evaporate. Not sure about rem oil. Gasoline engine lubricants do not vaporize as easily as do some things people lube guns with.
    Perhaps grease on certain high pressure points in the smallest quantities.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Rem, does evaporate but leaves a slick coating. Carbon picks right off with small screwdriver. Couple of drops and go blast.. +450 rounds thru the lightweight build with no cleaning yet, still going bang.. no issues The C308 gets every moving part greased plus extra. Whipe down and all the dirt comes right off.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used ATF for years. That said I don't shoot them with oil dripping from them, but when they are stored they are well oiled. Before I go to the range, I wipe them down, and run a patch or two down the barrel.

Being well oiled during storage, prevented me from having Rusty Lumps, when I finally was able to get to my guns 2-3 weeks after Hurricane Michael. The room where the guns were, lost the roof and skylight, sending water all over the room. A few days after the storm they were moved to another room, then 2-3 weeks later I was able to deal with them. Broke every one of them completely down, found no rust on 38 out 40 guns. One because there is no finish on the gun, and my son hadn't oiled it since I past it on to him, and the other also no finish and I failed to reoil the exterior after a detailed scrubbing. But both of them had limited rusting on the exterior parts and not inside.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    First one minimal lube and second larry vickers on using a lot of lube.

Larry Vickers on
    The Myth of Over Lubrication

He's got a dickmod...er I mean keymod, so he instantly lost any credibility with me....haha I've switched to CLP and can say that it's worked great for the thousands of rounds I've sent down the tube. Chrome lined barrels and NiB BCGs help with the cleaning, but it still works good and I don't run my guns "wet" like these guys in the vids are doing.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    On the garage forums a lot of folks swear by the red lube of love....... Basically super lube diluted with ATF (detergent)

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve got a little of everything but I have had no issues using the synth oil/ grease mix and a lifetime supply is cheap af.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Huh? Now I know who is doing the cosmoline on my sks's. I'm gonna one up him and mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket, lay my guns and parts out on the floor, then mop it on them.
    He reminds me of my 10 month old when I gave her a jar of peanut butter for a snack a few weeks ago. Wife wasn't too impressed then then either.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom