How many Revolvers does it take before you have to admit your Old?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have more revolvers than I care to admit. Mostly S&W, but have several Rugers as well and a couple Colt snake guns. That is what I started with and still feel very comfortable with. I do have a few semi’s but my heart and soul will always be with the wheel guns. Oh, and I will be 50 in just over a week.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess I'll need to take a photo of the .22LR-.22WMR HR Double action that utilizes the Single Action Colt Extrication System used to train all the "Little Thing's" how to shoot a revolver......

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wildrider666 I must admit that I'm surprised that you chose to opine. Especially since you have taken the stance that it sucks to be Me!
    While I agree in principal with most of your post, Revolvers in a House that has Children can no longer be a mainstay. Any of the Wondernines or 1911's that require a slide to be racked prior to firing or safeties to be negotiated are Today's normal.
    Yep, got one of those fancy key locks on the New S&W Combat .44 Magnum Revolver, hate it.
    Well those personal words were never in my comments and its never wrong to start anew. I don't think a revolver is inherently more dangerous than a pistol (example: Glock) to children. There are Readiness Condition choices but the bottom line is firearms should not be accessible (in any Condition) to minor/untrained children and that's 100% the owners/parents responsibility.

Has the standard professional recommendation for a handgun to "non gun folks" changed from a simple revolver? I know some non gun folks are told by a friend or influenced by TV/Movies and want something specific but they can't answer follow up questions to norrow it down nor do they understand the content of the questions. Hey, the customer is always right even if it's to their own detriment. Lol

I have never favored empty Chamber "Israeli Carry". I think its a tactical error to CC with an empty chamber so why would it be "better" with a house/nightstand handgun? Isn't this a owner training or lack of training issue? Same goes for the "Key required" safties. It is a convenience for handgun people that are not going to supervise it and too lazy to unload/secure it. It kinda sounds like commie State/City/District Law that mandates that firearms not in use must be unloaded and properly secured at all other times.

Many people hated the "Transfer Bar" as much as the change to Series 80. Now we have manual safties on some single and lever actions and key safeties on some revolvers and pistols. We complain about it being Lawsuit prevention but we buy them, someday it will be about Smartgun tech.

JMHO, VMMV.

rjsmith66

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a few let’s see
    45-70 BFR
    S&W 29-2 nickel
    Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag
    S&W TRR8
    And my favorite my Ruger Alaskan 454 it’s probably not as cool as the BFR but it’s got a sort of neat lineage (to me at least).

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well those personal words were never in my comments and its never wrong to start anew. I don't think a revolver is inherently more dangerous than a pistol (example: Glock) to children. There are Readiness Condition choices but the bottom line is firearms should not be accessible (in any Condition) to minor/untrained children and that's 100% the owners/parents responsibility.

Has the standard professional recommendation for a handgun to "non gun folks" changed from a simple revolver? I know some non gun folks are told by a friend or influenced by TV/Movies and want something specific but they can't answer follow up questions to norrow it down nor do they understand the content of the questions. Hey, the customer is always right even if it's to their own detriment. Lol

I have never favored empty Chamber "Israeli Carry". I think its a tactical error to CC with an empty chamber so why would it be "better" with a house/nightstand handgun? Isn't this a owner training or lack of training issue? Same goes for the "Key required" safties. It is a convenience for handgun people that are not going to supervise it and too lazy to unload/secure it. It kinda sounds like commie State/City/District Law that mandates that firearms not in use must be unloaded and properly secured at all other times.

Many people hated the "Transfer Bar" as much as the change to Series 80. Now we have manual safties on some single and lever actions and key safeties on some revolvers and pistols. We complain about it being Lawsuit prevention but we buy them, someday it will be about Smartgun tech.

JMHO, VMMV.

To start I agree, it's never wrong to begin anew.
    Firearms training/axcess to minors should be confined to supervised & controlled range sessions.

A Glock with an empty chamber requires the cycling of the slide, but a revolver even with the hammer on an empty chamber requires only a trigger pull. Neither should be accessible to children, but things have been known to happen.

The case has been made that striker fired (constant trigger pulls) sidearms are easier for the novice to control than a DA/SA Revolver.

I personally start out novices with a SA .22 H&R Revolver with the classic single round hand ejection/loading.

For me,CC & Nightstand 1911 on a loaded chamber. (Old DA/SA S&W 645 has a decocker/safety & heavy double action trigger pull, best/worst of both worlds.) A striker fired sidearm in the nightstand will most likely have an empty chamber, I want a little extra manipulation when I awake with a fright in the middle of the night. (Totally different scenario than wide awake CC) It may someday cost me my life, but I needed that extra split second of wake time when children roam the hallways. That's an I'm Sorry I never want to breach. Likewise, all the revolvers have been regulated to the range or open carry while hunting.

Totally agree with your last.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RakinRay:
    Beautiful. Glad it was raining.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looky there ^^^^^, other than a bit of comfort zone differences: common ground!

I'm envious of RackinRays Ruger Old Army BP, SS no less! 7.5 Inch .44 cal? Had a blued one, it's on my regret I sold it list.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the answer is for me one or three carry defense pistols that i use dependant on what my need is whether its the snub nose smith 638 in my pocket or the heavy as stuff 1911 in my belt holster when things get serious
    and as many revolvers that i can stuff in my house
    I don't worry about the old stuff or me getting that way

Papa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I am old, besides I would hate to look like this and be young. Top 2 are quite a bit older than I am, but still shoot like they were new. S&W (bottom) is 1972 Model 28-2 .357

Attachments

• IMG_6006.jpg
      IMG_6006.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 123

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve found myself interested more and more lately in revolvers. I remember selling a old sw pre 29, several years ago and listed it “because I’m not a revolver guy”. Now there’s just something about them that plastic semi autos don’t have.
    Agree...it may be old age, but I can't quite warm up to poly like the young bucks.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many revolvers in the vault that you have not fired in years before...............

Now that brings up an interesting question, what is the end of service life for a revolver?

The brake top Ivers Johnson had ended its service life prior to reaching my Locker. Dad & I had to silver solder the front sight back on so many times it became a hobby, due to Grampa pistol whipping folks with it instead of shooting them. It strips so much lead nowadays you might get 3 bad guys with each shot if they are properly placed.

The L-Frame S&W .357 Mag. ended its service life when it failed to cycle then discharged when tossed to the street. It had to be sent back to S&W and now has an "M" prior to the serial number. Has not ever rode a holster since returning from S&W. Once Dad passed it's been kept more for ceremonial purposes.

The little .22/.22WM H&R has a very small grip and hasn't gone to the range for almost a decade. But it's waiting for Thing 2 & Thing 3's little things to get parental approval to once again regain it's purpose. Service Life Suspended awaiting Grand-children development.

Thanks to the Dan Wesson & S&W L-Frame Combat, the Old .44 Mag 7 1/2 inch Abilene SA Army only hits the range once a year for the "Family Turkey Shoot."

The DW Pistol packs in .22 & .357 still attend hunters pistol matches as often as I'm available. I expect that the DW .44 Mag may have spent it's last day afield, as the S&W L-Frame Combat .44 Mag was purchased as it's direct field replacement secondary sidearm while hunting. But it's still a favorite of the entire clan at the 25 & 50 yard ranges.

Dang, I'm getting long winded! But that is nine decades (40's,50's,60's,70's 80's 90's 00's 10's, & 20's) {even worse 1900's, 2000's Two centuries & a Millenia} of family revolver history. Hope I didn't bore Y'all to much.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plastic is for utility, wood, design style and a fine finish is beautiful.
    Not to mention there used to be a time when wood was custom matched to the operators hand. Yet the amount of fine finish could be determined by the thickness of the users wallet.

Now the Dan Weasons had a distinct advantage when custom fitted for folks with small hands. Not to mention the ease of sighting options. Yet the crane operated manual of arms was so different from other revolvers (Not to mention the acceptance of the Wondernines) that the concept died on the vine. It's just my opinion, but if Service Revolvers had survived the Wondernine onslaught, there could be many more Dan Wesson Service Revolvers roaming "The Street" nowadays.

But perhaps I might need to express that I might be aging? Due to the fact that so many have no idea of what "Israeli Carry" of a semi-automatic is, and even less understand the concept of a crane activated revolver with a post grip and replaceable sight systems are. Perhaps we speak of things that are history related? Therefore we may be "OLD"? I mean who has ever heard of Jeff Cooper?

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So now that carry conditions for semi-automatic sidearms has been sidestepped, lets step back to revolver 101.
    4 revolvers.jpg

Now it's time talk about the difference between right thumb activated crane operation, (ie S&W - Colt) and left thumb crane activated operations?

Really Old School revolver folks have been trained to never let go of thier right hand hold on the revolver. Push the crane release with your right thumb, whip the cylinder with a violent wave of your right hand, and manipulate the speed loader with your left hand. (A time honored & trained method) If you ever Master the procedure it shall serve you well.

But what about releasing the crane with your left hand, pushing it out with the same grip, and utilizing your more skilled dominant Right hand to manipulate the speed loader? Yes you shall need to regrip your revolver prior to firing the next six rounds, but which is actually fractions of a second faster?

Should I pictorially display the differences between the top right .44 Mag Dan Wesson and the Bottom right .357 S&W L-Frame?
    Or are the Old Service Revolver Trained folks following this conversation?
    Awaiting Y'all's response.

Top Bottom