• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Newbie to doing any type sales off of a forum....Have meant to ask this before because I have really only met 1 person FTF from the forum....and had actually met him before I ever joined the forum.....So......

Any input on how any of you Guys/Gals recommend handling sales of any Guns or Ammo would be very much appreciated....

PM me if you like......

Thanks

MarkS

Master
    Check out the Bill of Sale template in the firearms for sale section

bac3996

Marksman
    With firearms sales post as much information as possible and attach photos. Photos will always be asked for if not posted.

Myself I always add a ending to my post such as this:
    You must be 21 yrs of age and a resident of Florida (state you reside in)
    You must show a photo Id such as drivers license or concealed carry permit.
    You must be legal under state law to buy and own firearms.

You can use age 18 but I feel better at age 21 or older.

I also make out a bill of sale for each firearm I sell. Some don't agree but I've had a firearm I sold turn up in a robbery case and it had been registered to me.

Went to my file pulled the paperwork made a copy of it and handed it over to the PD.

Also I usually do transactions out of my home not in a parking lot.

Include phone # of buyer on bill of sale.

Plus use your head something seems not on the up & up don't do the sale. Some guys don't like paperwork .

On the bill of sale make sure you add what condition the firearm is at time of sale.

In truth most guys here on site that I've sold to are all ok guys and even shared there knowledge with me about firearms I was selling.

If selling a firearm and trying to set a fair price check the on line gun auction sites they can give you a rough idea. Keep in mind your location as some guns sell differently in other states.

Good luck. I'm sure others also have more advise

mikenjapan

Shooter
    If you have a CWFL make sure you are packing. I have heard of deals gone wrong (guys getting robbed). Not in here, but in other groups.

bac3996

Marksman
    If you have a CWFL make sure you are packing. I have heard of deals gone wrong (guys getting robbed). Not in here, but in other groups.

One of the main reasons I do it from home. If you do parking lot sales be prepared with backup nearby. And doing parking lot sales never include ammunition.

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Thanks bac3996 for the quick response and info....( Hope this does not double post) Forgot to log in !!!

Anyway.... I have dealt with friends and friends of friends many times and we always do paper work with all the proper info....just to cover everyone....I have never sold anything off of a forum before and wanted some feedback as to how you folks felt it should be handled....

The only thing I would have a problem with is allowing some stranger to come to my home......though I am not really fond of the thought of meeting in a parking lot without a backup buddy with me.

I thought about just making sure that it was someone who had been on the forum for a while...so I could sorta check and see what transactions they have had...

I have already figured out that if they ask me if I will accept an "EBT" card I should back away from them !!!

Thanks

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Bac3996...

You just answered 1 of the questions/thoughts I just posted about......This may sound stupid...but why in doing a parking lot sale it should Never include any ammo ?

Thanks

bac3996

Marksman
    [QUOTEBac3996...

You just answered 1 of the questions/thoughts I just posted about......This may sound stupid...but why in doing a parking lot sale it should Never include any ammo ?

Thanks ][/QUOTE]

Guess I'm old school and my law enforcement training kicks in occasionally. I figure anyone stupid enough to try to steal a firearm aren't going to be bright enough to bring ammunition with them to load into the firearm to use against me.

So by not providing ammunition I'm not tempting. Just my train of thought.

And yes I understand not wanting others in your home, But it's under your control, You can keep it to one neutral room or outside in the drive way. Until your sure of someone you don't let on what you own or don't own.

Make it as a business transaction ,Your not there to bs, That is until you feel comfortable with the person. I do suggest if you can have someone there with you .

Always remember on the internet you can be or do anything. Trusting someone because of online posts is just like Russian roulette , It only takes one bad time.

Always protect yourself at all times stay aware of what's happening around you . Not everyone is bad, Trust your sense,

Telum Pisces

Master
    The right amount of green and a quick question of are you allowed to own said gun and off they go. It's not up to me to police what a person does with a tool. I'm packing and usually on guard against someone trying to steal the gun from me. But anyone on here with a decent amount of posts willing to meet you in person is usually not a problem.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    I like to meet in public, usually an open area during the day. Sometimes though because of work I've met in the evening so I pick a well lit area. I get all the info up front. Exchange phone numbers and even vehicle driven so no surprises. I check ID (State License and/or CWFL). Most of the guys I have met from here have been outstanding.

Welldoya

Master
    I don't want anybody that I don't know coming to my home. They might figure if you are selling a firearm you probably have more.
    I meet in a parking lot somewhere like WalMart or Tom Thumb.
    I won't sell to kids. If a 22 year old shows up looking like a punk, he's going home empty-handed.
    I judge people by how they talk and how they text. If there are a lot of misspelled words and poor grammar, I go on high alert.
    I've been very lucky in all my dealings. Maybe it's the type guns I've sold but I've always dealt with the 35+ crowd.
    Not to say that there aren't 21 year olds that are just as responsible but there are fewer of them.

Seanpcola

I just don't sell much but with all of the Craigslist BS lately I think we should all be leery and vigilant. I personally will not let anyone on my property that I don't know. I don't sell much anyway, I think three firearms since I got into it, and every single buyer was someone from here with a proven track record.

Meeting someone out in public probably is safe if the location is right. I wouldn't do Walmart parking lots, maybe at a gun store or within sight of police station?

Welldoya

Master
    I wouldn't meet in the Mobile Hwy or Hwy 29 Walmart parking lot but have met in the Pace Walmart parking lot.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I like meeting at a Target Store so we have something to aim at trying out the weapon!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Personally if it is someone that regulars a forum frequent like I do then I will go to their house or invite them over and usually we end up BS most of the time just talking about firearms. But if it is someone that I don't "know" I will do it in public. Reason being if they so happen to rob you and say they get the upper hand there is usually some camera around. I normally park beside a camera over head that can see me and the person in the vehicle so if it did happen they could verify and I always include a Bill of Sale. Also I tend to delay the sale a little bit when someone contacts me reason being is if they are pushy about buying it then I won't sell to them. There are plenty of guns stores around to buy from if the need it NOW! Usually when I sell a firearm it is to buy another. So there will always be another buyer .They're are crazy people out there always be prepared.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Yep Brandon, that's what I meant too. Anyone that has a history on here is welcome at my house. But some unknown guy, nope, meet in public.

Every time I have sold something on here I had more fun BSing than I did doing a transaction.

SAWMAN

Master
    I have had many members here come to my house to both buy and sell. With due respect,they will always stay outside in the driveway or garage. There has only been a handfull of people actually inside my house in the 11 years that I have lived here.

One member even showed up having to take a piss. Even though he looked like a shady character ,his eyeballs was damn near floating so I allowed it after I did a thourough background check and ran his ass thru a metal detector. Yeah ......... you know who you are. :yo: --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom