• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got my order of SubX 190 grain bullets for my 300BLK ! I had bought a 350 legend ruger ranch to load subsonic pistol bullets that would expand , but the availability of these bullets has me re thinking that . I may just sell the legend and stick with the 300 BLK. I’ve got some good loads for the black out and now that these bullets are available I’m not sure that I want to start over. here’s a picture of the bullet ,I didn’t know it was a boat tail even though I’ve shot a good many of them in factory loaded Ammunition. They retail for 34 cents each but that’s about a 1/4 the cost of the Lehigh s that I was shooting.

674B76AB-F048-4B56-A144-195DBDCBB912.jpeg

Attachments

• 67B45B48-AA19-47FE-BA57-201CDC0EEEEF.jpeg
      67B45B48-AA19-47FE-BA57-201CDC0EEEEF.jpeg
      51.2 KB · Views: 114

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not sure exactly why it is of boat tail design. Takes up powder space and really not needed at intended vels.
    Would love to give these a try in my wife's 30-30AI at about 1200fps.
    Do do happen to know the recommended vel window ??
    I personally would shoot them super in my BO's (single and bolt guns). --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Take a look at the Cutting Edge brand. They are somewhat expensive but could suit your needs also.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m not sure about the top speed but they expand as slow as 900fps according to hornady. I’ll load a few up to max and see what they do, I think 1500 FPS is possible in a 300 BLK . Any more than that will require a deferent caliber .

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman, I found this . I may still try them at fifteen hundred FPS , just for shits and giggles.

Subsonic Expansion
    The 190 grain 30 caliber SUB-X from Hornady is designed to expand at subsonic velocities as low as 900 FPS. The Flex Tip insert combined with the hollowpoint cavity allows for the expansion at low velocities.
    These bullets were designed for subsonic velocities only. Hornady recommends that it not be loaded faster than 1,100 FPS. Loading it hotter can cause stability issues.
    The SUB-X bullets can be used in 300 Blackout or 308. However, they are not recommended for rifles with barrels that have a 1:12 twist rate. Most factory 308 rifles don’t have a 1:12 twist but make sure and check before you load these up.
    If you are looking for a new subsonic hunting bullet this would be a good choice.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I loaded some of SubX in a 308,To a little over 1800 FPS . It didn’t affect the accuracy at all but it is pretty explosive at that speed.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Before you use bullets like this at sub speeds,run the numbers for fpe delivered to game animal.
    You might be surprised and/or disappointed.
    But given the bullets weight,maybe at 1500-1800 fps or so,this could be a explosive no-exit penetrator.
    I would really like to try these on 200lb hogs,at the above vels,out of a 10 twist 308Win. Would make for a softer shooting load that could be appropriate to be used with thermal.
    And I got just the gun. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom