• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody made any using off the shelf stuff?? Cost?
    I keep some tins of vianny sausage and sardines and smoked oysters not big on potted meat but its not too bad on a cracker and a few packs of kool aid for a little something different

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Honestly IME it's better to just stock 6+ months ahead of rice, pasta, salt, sugar, canned goods, etc and eat as you got (and keep buying). Less time, less effort, far less waste when your MREs / Homemade MREs / Survival food goes bad.

Granted if you are making it for hunting, that makes sense but aside from that, I don't see it. Then again I ain't bugging out, I'm staying put.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly IME it's better to just stock 6+ months ahead of rice, pasta, salt, sugar, canned goods, etc and eat as you got (and keep buying). Less time, less effort, far less waste when your MREs / Homemade MREs / Survival food goes bad.

Granted if you are making it for hunting, that makes sense but aside from that, I don't see it. Then again I ain't bugging out, I'm staying put.
    Agreed, the stuff like rice and some canned goods stay good for a really long time, which is good because I normally won't eat that stuff unless theres nothing else to eat. I got sick of shopping in the covid era weirdness so learned to buy as much as I could of everything without it going bad before we use it. Just takes some organization and minimal effort once you get going.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Agreed, we have some pantry cabinets and when getting more, I put the new stuff in the back and make sure the older stuff (but at 6 months, it's not 'old' at all) in the front. Occasionally you miss something but with rice / flour / sugar / salt / etc lasting a long time, it doesn't matter.

We also buy butter in bulk and freeze it. It last for a long time and I do the same, put the new in the back and older in the front.

We are to the point of "You can't leave your property for 3 months" isn't even a concern. 5-6 months and you'd be eating stuff you are tired of, but you'd be eating just fine and I'm sure by then we'd have killed plenty of game (hogs, deer, etc) to supplement our food stores.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I keep some tins of vianny sausage and sardines and smoked oysters not big on potted meat but its not too bad on a cracker and a few packs of kool aid for a little something different
    Canned food is nuclear fallout-proof. Decontaminate cans by scrubbing off the hot particles off the outside of cans with hot soapy running water. Think a hot shower, not a hot bath, or else you're just going to be having cans you just scrubbed swimming in a hot particle soup

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    The old post-Ivan MREs was the best. Man those was good eating! The ones I keep seeing now since given out are pretty much garbage. The heaters don't even work most times. Heck I wound up with some low sodium ones once and man those was atrocious lol. Then the places around here began issuing these Swanson like Alfredo single dish meals and calling those "MREs". They too are God awful. Have a closet full of those lol.
    But ever since I started doing my own versions. I throw away 90% or more of the crap in MREs anyways. So I now buy my fave Dinty Moore style foods in those little peelable plastic dishes. Very little waste so u can pile them deep. One is a good sized snack and two is a big meal. They stack well also. They would be quiet in a bag too and not clanking on other things and make noise. They seem to work well

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Back when I was in high school, my friends and I would do a lot of traveling and camping.
    We lived in Turkey and would grab our backpacks and hitchhike across the southern coast spring break and during the summer. We would usually stay gone at least a week, sometimes more than 2 weeks.
    Dad would go to warehouse sales on base and buy a case (12 meals) of C Rations for $3.
    This was in the early ‘70s and, as I remember, this stuff was packed in the late ‘50s.
    We each had small Sterno stoves that we would heat the cans up on. Good stuff.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Back when I was in high school, my friends and I would do a lot of traveling and camping.
    We lived in Turkey and would grab our backpacks and hitchhike across the southern coast spring break and during the summer. We would usually stay gone at least a week, sometimes more than 2 weeks.
    Dad would go to warehouse sales on base and buy a case (12 meals) of C Rations for $3.
    This was in the early ‘70s and, as I remember, this stuff was packed in the late ‘50s.
    We each had small Sterno stoves that we would heat the cans up on. Good stuff.
    Extra-dried goods in double-enameled cans have a 25+ year shelf life. Just like the Mountain House brand of freeze dried canned goods

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Tasty MREs????

iu
    I said "tastier"... lol. Big difference!
    And yeah was referring to the plastic bowl single serve Dinty Moore stuff. Even those tho aren't like what they was years ago. Even these kinda taste like crap. But I noticed with the cheap offbrand Dinty Moore stew tho I can add shredded pprk they sell at Walmart and then you can barely tell it from homemade. Ain't bad once ya overhaul it lol

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I ain't a food snob, but life it too #$%^-ing short to eat #$%^ food.

After you eat MREs for a week plus in the military and eventually give birth to a 5-lb MRE crap after that week, you really don't want to ever eat them again unless its a necessity.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    found ourselves performing the role of pretend naval gangbang for forward observer school once. we were sitting in one position in a lava field at PTA on the big island of Hawaii for 2 weeks, firing 155 rounds ever few hours. it was boring with a capital B. we got the idea to see what extravigant foods we might make from our MREs. i had one kid grinding crackers into flour with a flashlight and canteen cup for mortar and pestle. we built an oven out of lava rocks, covered them with a heavy tarp, covered that with dirt. made a rack in our over out of some truck part and put a squad stove in it for the heat source. it took a full day to bake fruit pie. cracker dough, sugar sprinkles on top, apple jelly and freeze dried fruit mix. it was actually pretty good. your tax dollars at work.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah after Ivan we was bored and I had the bright idea to experiment with the MRE heaters. Cram one in the neck of a half filled water bottle so it don't hit the water. Then put the lid on and toss that baby. It dam near blew the windows out of a condo lol. Dam thing was crazy loud

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Yeah after Ivan we was bored and I had the bright idea to experiment with the MRE heaters. Cram one in the neck of a half filled water bottle so it don't hit the water. Then put the lid on and toss that baby. It dam near blew the windows out of a condo lol. Dam thing was crazy loud
    MRE bombs are illegal nowadays. Dead serious. I made quite a few like 30 years ago. They're a lot of fun.

Top Bottom