• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I watched this video and read several articles.

I have done a lot of work with people and I have lost compassion for those that could do better. I have known a lot exactly like the lady they interview - whose biggest disability is their attitude and inability to take the first step to get better.

Maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man…

I, for one, will be glad when they are gone and the city becomes tough on the honeless.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Indeed !!! I saw them interview a guy the other day that said and I quote “One third of the people living here have jobs and could afford housing but why, the city gives us water stations, port o potties, they come down here and feed us, why would we leave, this is paradise” !!! Enabling has made this problem MUCH WORSE !!!!!

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dealing with Homelessness can definitely present a challenge. Without getting too deep in the weeds, 2 types are normally encountered ( i will say there are more subcategories)

The first, homeless by choice. These individuals typically have some mental health diagnosis and find it difficult to follow what we would consider to be social norms and have stable employment and housing. Charitable organizations and social services attempt to address their needs, but the truth is that they just aren't willing to change and will move one when the current conditions are no longer favorable to their existence.

The second- Homeless by circumstance. An amazing number of people, including families with children work every day jobs and send their kids to school, yet live in vehicles and makeshift shelters. There are numerous reasons why this may have happened, however, these people are working for something better in life.

I have zero patience for the first category. The second is what our social support and charitable organizations should focus their efforts on helping.

When the move finally happens, I anticipate that category one ( homeless by choice) will relocate somewhere where they can live the same lifestyle. Hopefully all the press will shine a light on the second category of folks and they will get the help they need.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dealing with Homelessness can definitely present a challenge. Without getting too deep in the weeds, 2 types are normally encountered ( i will say there are more subcategories)

The first, homeless by choice. These individuals typically have some mental health diagnosis and find it difficult to follow what we would consider to be social norms and have stable employment and housing. Charitable organizations and social services attempt to address their needs, but the truth is that they just aren't willing to change and will move one when the current conditions are no longer favorable to their existence.

The second- Homeless by circumstance. An amazing number of people, including families with children work every day jobs and send their kids to school, yet live in vehicles and makeshift shelters. There are numerous reasons why this may have happened, however, these people are working for something better in life.

I have zero patience for the first category. The second is what our social support and charitable organizations should focus their efforts on helping.

When the move finally happens, I anticipate that category one ( homeless by choice) will relocate somewhere where they can live the same lifestyle. Hopefully all the press will shine a light on the second category of folks and they will get the help they need.
    Ageeed. I am all for helping those who want to move up.

I am for locking up or kicking out the idiot who screams at me everytime I walk down Paladox.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    The problem with the homeless in the city is they want to boot them to the county. It's the city's problem. There is no winning here. They want to house them somewhere. Will create a few jobs, which our taxes will pay for. Will never win this battle. It's almost as bad as illegals.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    In a place I used to live the city took over a pretty remote facility and gave space to all the charities. Police take the homeless there the first 2 or three times they are picked up (and then to jail).

They have all sorts of opportunities to get help and even a rehoming project - if they have a relative or someone else in another city that is willing to help and they complete a week or two of classes then they get a bus or plane ticket back to that person.

Here the city would need to partner with the county or another city in the north part of the county - otherwise the homeless will just keep coming back. Maybe next to a prison somewhere or an abandoned factory/ facility (if one exists).

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My wife and I were so close to being homeless back in 1990. We found an ancient travel trailer that we parked in my Uncles field with no power or water for a while. Now we own 3 vehicles 2 boats, tractor an a triple wide on 5 acres and are looking for a place on the water in Alabama to build a small home . It took a lot of doing without but it got a little better with effort, not rich by any means but we get by. Needless to say I don’t have a lot of sympathy for those who won’t help themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

They'll just be replaced by different homeless people. There's been homeless under the I-110 ever since it was built. When I surveyed the storm drain tunnels under the 110 after Ivan there were lots of homeless. Only thing that will stop it is filling that space in with a mountain worth of fill dirt all the way to the roof

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    AND - -> HOMELESS VETS ??
    A homeless vet is homeless because of their own choosing. GUARANTEED.
    I tried working this problem about 15 years ago. There are so many programs and agencies that are willing to help vets.
    For these guy and gals to live under a bridge is of their own choosing. GUARANTEED !! --- SAWMAN

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I tried working this problem about 15 years ago. There are so many programs and agencies that are willing to help vets.
    For these guy and gals to live under a bridge is of their own choosing. GUARANTEED !! --- SAWMAN
    Agreed on the Vets. We have numerous programs out there, to include VA sponsored domicicilliary programs to help get them on their feet. I'm sure many are receiving VA disability compensation. Just about all of them have cell phones and with that, the ability to have online banking. It all boils down to choice.

You never really know, half the so called "vets" are just guys who bought a bdu jacket at the surplus store and never served.

We just have to make sure we don't enable these behaviors by giving money to panhandlers. They wouldn't be on corner begging for money if it wasn't productive.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    my first job after i got out of the Corps was cutting down trees with a rough cob of a man in stephenville, texas. one day we passed a young guy on the highway wearing and alice pack and holding a sign that read "will work for food". now, this part of texas did not have homeless folks back then. not sure about now. it was a read oddity. so we stopped and old charles told him to get in, he would work him hard and put him up, feed him, and pay him good. they guy just shook his head, asked if we had some change. charles cussed him square and we went on about our business.

now i know that anecdote is not true of every homeless person out there. there ARE people on the lower end of the payscale, with no deep family support who may be one or two paychecks from not having somewhere to live. but every interaction with someone panhandling or holding a sign has been someone who is not trying. maybe they are just beat down, broken down. i dont know. i will feed anyone. i will buy them a hot chocolate or coffee on a cold day. my Lord demands that of me. but i will not give them money. my donations to them go thru the waterfront mission.

this is a good place to remind my federal employee brothers that the combined federal compaign (cfc) is a great way to vet charities. i am a big proponent of the cfc.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Most of the homeless that claim to be Vets are not. They think in this pro military area it will get them more money.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Persevere and press on, or quit. That's how I see it. IMO, you will never see those who are truly down and need real help 'cause they are likley too proud to let that be known. Zero sympathy for the beggars/hustlers. I'll stop there......

Q2arrowhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Most homeless with pets “service animals” are just using them as a way to increase the emotional reaction that will end up in them getting a few more coins. I do feel sorry for the pets, because they did not choose that life. In my 57 years and living in California, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Florida, I see the majority (not all) but the majority of these people just want to make it day to day doing the least amount of anything. They see it as society is responsible for making their lives better. Can you imagine how much better their lives could be if they put as much effort into doing something as they do into doing nothing.

I have no sympathy, sorry.

dirtingd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Huge difference in a service dog and a dog you found that you like to pet at night.

Biden will come in on the 30th and fix it all.....

Top Bottom