• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • @Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The HOA is interested in my garage. It is exactly the same way as the day I bought the house.

I am in the middle of selling my home in HBTS.
    My wife calls and gets the HOA assessment from the office.
    The next day we get an email from the complaints department.

At some point since we moved here, the HOA voted that all houses in the neighborhood must have garages that two cars can be parked in and are demanding I remodel, or build an additional attached garage.

Part of their complaint was a screenshot of the house listing on realtor that describes the garage as a converted mother in law suite. To be clear, it isn't a mother in law sweet, it's just a finished and painted area.

These guys check your real estate listing for gigs to hit you with on the way out the door.

Has anyone around here seen this issue before?
    It doesn't seem reasonable to expect someone to remodel the inside of their home, or to comply with specific use of areas inside their home. Especially days before they vacate the place. I would think everything existing since a certain date would be grandfathered.

I'm glad to be moving.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Most HOA’s require owners to submit a plan before building. Did you construct it after the main house?
    I bought the house exactly like it is now. Other than regular maintenance it's the exact same.

The HOA chungus said the change to requirements was made recently.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't see how they could make you remodel your home if they changed the rules after your house was built. Especially if it was like that when you purchased it. Was the finished and painted area completed like that prior to the changes in the restrictions? Hate to say it but if they push the issue you may need to consult an attorney. Good luck getting out of that mess. I'm a Realtor for many years and would never live in an area with an HOA. They suck!

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wasn't thrilled with an HOA when I moved here but I won't make the same mistake twice.

Beside the possible expense, there is also a large part of me that is unwilling to submit control of what is mine. Dealing with an HOA is like giving a mouse a cookie.

The last thing anyone needs is more damn governing.

Fng1911

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aren't HOA'S governed by board members that are voted in by the members that live in the HOA? I'm pretty sure the penis puffers that run HOA only enforce rules governed by the board which are members that live in there neighborhood. Have you brought this to the board? I don't live there, but have dealt with HOA's in the past. I wouldn't say the people running HOA are penis puffers, I would say the board members making the rules are penis puffers. @FLT

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would spend a few bucks to have a lawyer send them a letter telling them to eat a bag of dicks! But I've been told I sometimes approach things the wrong way! LoL

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    about the same as my horsehead idea... go over like a fart in a spacesuit...

TontoFAC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The board cannot arbitrarily change covenants and by-laws. The changes to the covenants and By-laws are voted by the house owners. At some point there should have been a mailing or meeting where the change was addressed. Ask the BOD for the minutes of the meetings where this was addressed. Also it is most likely a violation of Florida statutes to not grandfather in existing structures.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So far I have
    Are they keeping your house from being sold?
    They haven't yet. So far all that has happened is a return email. They were clear where they want this to go though.

I explained that the garage is still a garage, just a nice one and asked for them to supply their proof I'm not grandfathered in.

I also asked for the number of homes with this complaint and how many have either reached or declined to reach compliance with this new rule.

Guess we will see what happens.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    HOAs suck.
    Holley By The Sea is a damn cartel.

Let them know nicely, through a lawyer, In Writing, what they can do with their “wishes”.

Then, always remember that whomever votes to stop the sale of your home by trying to enforce that BS should really reconsider having you as a neighbor.

“... None of you seem to understand. I’m not locked in here with you. YOU’RE locked in here with ME.”

Every single one of them has a home. If they mess with yours, well, there’s some guidance about it in the Old Testament...

Perhaps reminding them of those facts of life in person, away from recording devices, might be necessary.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    At some point since we moved here, the HOA voted that all houses in the neighborhood must have garages that two cars can be parked in and are demanding I remodel, or build an additional attached garage.

Another thought. What exactly does the verbiage say from their precious rules? Does it list specific dimensions, or just “two cars”?

Those “Smart” cars are tiny. The recently discontinued ones are 65” wide. You could park them lengthwise in a single car garage, probably. Or Austin Powers them side by side, 90-degrees off from how you drove into the garage.

Get the specifics. Then make your case and stick it to those SOBs.

And anyone who thinks for a split-second that the HOA is operating in any sliver of common good: If this crap actually mattered to them or the neighborhood, then 1) it would be obvious, and 2) they would’ve said something a LONG TIME AGO.

They are money-grubbing thieves with a perceived power-pool from a piece of paper.

Just another example of two-legged dirtbags still wasting air purely because of the self-restraint of those around them.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    As others have said, I think you need to contact an attorney who deals with HOA matters.

A good area to research is Florida Statutes 720, which deals with HOA's.

I really feel that IF you live in a HOA neighborhood you need to be an active member of the board. If someone is making rules that affect me I want to be in on the rule making process. I want to be on the board, and a force to be reconned with.

SHANEGCEC

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I moved to HBTS in 07'. At the time, most everyone was so far underwater in those houses that there were grown up bank foreclosures and vacant lots full of trash all over. We were renting a house off of Edgewood and I would pull my pick up about a foot off of the edge of the driveway to give my wife more room to fly into the garage. I started getting constant letters and so did Century 21, the property manager about the truck being on the grass. I would move the truck onto the cement a week or two then back off the edge once I thought it blew over. AS SOON as I'd go off the edge of the driveway, I'd have a letter or call within a day. I talked to them at the HBTS office several times and they were nothing short of hostile. I would bring up all the run down messy yards, boats, RVs , old mattresses, trash ect, and they would say mind your business renter. Ultimately, we bought a house that year and they helped us make the decision to go out of HBTS. We moved into a house on the sound in a much nicer neighborhood where there was an HOA but never have had an issue.
    That HOA has been the source of all kinds of corruption and F**kery over the years. My advice would be move forward to closing and throw them a finger on the way out.

Top Bottom