• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Drove past some peanut fields and did a quick scan. Big hog in the freshly planted peanuts in north field. Parked my truck on the property, and, as I always do, did a 360 degree scan to make sure no one else and/or animals or farm equipment is out. Surprise...about 8 hogs in the south field about 100yd south of a barn. Walked into the north field, but the hog had moved a good 100yd further away. It was at the SE corner and exiting the field. There is a row of trees and brush between the north and south fields. OK, will go after the group in the south field and creep around the corner of the barn, but I can no longer see them...nothing in sight of the thermal. About that time the lone big hog appears in the NE corner of the south field out of range, but fairly quickly leaves after doing a couple of test rootings.

Decide I'll walk east; maybe the big hog will be visible in the field to the east. Nope, but then I see a large sounder to my south.

55D27B2C-85C7-40E8-8856-979F4CD0315A.jpeg

Wind is perfect, no moon visible, they're busy rooting up planted peanuts, and I have a clear pathway that I can walk towards them without making noise. Count 20 hogs. I get close enough and pick the biggest, closest, sow. Wait till she faces me and puts her head down to feed some more, and shoot her in the head. The others run a few yards west and stop. I'm basically between them and freedom, but it's not safe for me to shoot west where they are. Finally a brave hog runs south then east to freedom. Others catch on and do the same. 300 Blackout, 110gr Barnes black tip handload. FLIR thermal. Ark30 suppressor.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Here's some more photos. See how the freshly sprouted peanuts are in double rows. Now see peanut plants gone leading up to the sow. Nice row of dark long hair on her back. I was 41yd from her when I shot.

ADA9C9CF-80B6-4790-88E4-A954F2A697E4.jpeg
    EC5BC66E-7609-4CDD-ACB6-1E5C7B081513.jpeg
    D76524B3-AF30-4791-BEDB-3A9C15844DC8.jpeg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    They just don't root for the planted nut. They root down several inches and flip the plant out of the ground and eat,nut + green plant. Leaving nothing to come back. Even as a volunteer.
    Imagine 20-30 hogs,all doing this all at once,at night (10+ hours).
    At the slower pace,the hogs hardly ever get "full". Their digestive system is so active,they process these peanuts,poo out the unused,and keep on eating. Kinda like a "land shark". The perfect eating mo-sheen. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom