• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Themumfordman

Master
    Anyone have familiarity with either running a UMP or doing a conversion? I have a partially-converted USC with the UMP lower and US-made mags, just debating whether or not it's worth it to Form 1 this so I can finish the conversion with the 8" barrel and vertical grip. I've already determined 922 compliance, so that part isn't an issue.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Not sure what the question is, but I was issued a UMP in .40 many moons ago. It didn't have the vertical grip but that didn't really seem to be the limiting factor under fully automatic fire. The thing that made me dislike it was there was enough flex in the folding stock that under a sustained burst the stock would bend at the hinge and my group would run in a straight line to the right (I'm a right-handed shooter). Might not be an issue in a 9mm platform.

Sustained bursts probably wouldn't be an issue under fighting conditions, but it was part of qualification so it was important to me.

If it were me, I would probably do the Form 1 just for the 8" barrel. I'm not generally a fan of vertical foregrips just because when on sling and actually doing stuff it tends to hit my legs like getting knee spiked.

Themumfordman

Master
    Thanks for the thoughts - the barrel length is the big deal for me. If I'm going to keep this and set it up I want that sub-8" barrel so I can run it pretty much full-time suppressed. Having a 45 caliber "sub gun" with a 16" barrel and no silencer is a solid waste of an opportunity in my book.

Themumfordman

Master
    There's a CMMG radial-delay 45 that's been on the for sale list for a while, in a pistol configuration already. Would be a cheaper, easier option that does take Glock mags, just doesn't have the vibes of the UMP.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    There's a CMMG radial-delay 45 that's been on the for sale list for a while, in a pistol configuration already. Would be a cheaper, easier option that does take Glock mags, just doesn't have the vibes of the UMP.
    Yep, I've been eyeballing it. With the short barrel, all rounds should* be subsonic, no special magic ammo required. Braced but worol ready for a stock. +6 lbs though, bleh. Does share mags with my G21,40 and 30. So big plus there.

Top Bottom