• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1590241063336.png

This was my great grandfathers first home in Boynton (about 1900-1902) after they moved out of the tent they lived in for four years. In the picture is Horace Murray with his family and the school teacher.
    1590241122709.png

Chief William McKinley Osceola Camp on the Tamiami Trail
    1930's
    Chief William Mckinley Osceola (1883-1966) was the patriarch and medicine man of the Miccosukee Florida Seminole Nation. He lived in the Everglades all his life in a camp 30 miles west of Miami. He was a direct descendant of the great Chief Osceola and the first to send his children to the "white man's" schools in the 1930's.
    1590241228456.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Carlton Ward is at Apalachicola Bay. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HistoricFloridaX/
    1d · Eastpoint, FL
    It is a sad day for Apalachicola Bay. As of August 1, the oyster fishery is closed for five years because of a complete collapse. These photos are of my friend and hero Kendall Schoelles. He is a third-generation Apalachicola oysterman who never took more from his lease each year than could naturally grow back (even ten years ago when others picked public reefs bare out of fear that the Deepwater Horizon oil spill would reach the bay). But Kendall's long-term care couldn’t protect his oysters or others from problems plaguing the overall bay, including mis-management, drought, depletion of the Apalachicola River by Atlanta (and Georgia and Alabama agriculture), over-harvesting, and illegal takes. Apalachicola Bay once provided nearly all of the oysters for Florida and more than ten percent of America's oysters. Now it will take a five-year rest. If we can get the freshwater and management right, and rebuild the oyster reefs, I believe Apalachicola Bay can come back. My prayer is that the culture of water people who have worked the bay for more than a century will have a chance to come back too. #apalachicola #bay #oystermen
    1596416573598.png

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exterminant enim ignorant. ("They destroy what they don't understand".....or something like that.)

I remember when you could get a few oysters and lots of scallops in St. Andrews Bay. Even the sea grass is gone.

Top Bottom