• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone own or shoot one of these?

How does it compare to other 22lr rifles like the Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, etc.?

Been kind of considering adding a 22lr rifle to my safe, and thought this or some sort of take down rifle might be a good addition.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you really want a compact take down rifle the Marlin Papoose is a waaay better choice or even a Ruger 10-22 take down. The AR-7 are not very accurate and difficult to shoot well due to the weird ergonomics. They also tend to be very ammo sensitive unlike the Marlin or Ruger. The Ruger Charger pistol would be another good choice in that category. Good luck!

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you want an AR-7 due to the compact takedown option, there are plenty of takedown 22’s out there that are more accurate, more ergonomic, more reliable, and more fun.

Top of the list (but no longer produced):
    -Marlin 39A (lever gun; takedown)
    -Browning SA-22 (semi-auto; tube in stock; takedown)
    -Winchester 1897 (pump action; takedown)
    -heck, there’s a Rossi 62SA (pump action; takedown; stopped making them about 20-years ago?)

Modern manufacture:
    -Ruger 10/22 TD (semiauto; takedown rifle)
    -.... (I prefer older weapons)

I’m sure there are others.

For ease of parts availability and upgrades, I’d recommend to get a Ruger 10/22 TD With a Threaded Barrel. Takes everything from flush mags to 110-round drums. Takedown is super simple, and it fits in a backpack. When you’re in a free state, you could put a binary trigger in it, too.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Had the charter arms one. Had the Henry one. The charter was much better. I've never owned a 10-22 but have heard good things. If you want compact I'd reccomend the SW 15-22 pistol. Love mine. Same manual of arms for the AR15. Great training tool. Ymmv.
    20210314_203531.jpg

Last edited:

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It’s all about what you want to do with it. If you are going to use and shoot it on a regular basis, as said above, there is a multitude of better choices than the AR7. If you are looking for a lightweight and very convenient all in one package for hiking and whatnot, the AR7 would be a fantastic choice. I have both the original Armalite version and the newer Henry model. The Armalite is extremely picky with ammo but the Henry will shoot anything from 1070fps standard velocity to 1640fps CCI Stingers without missing a beat. If it has to be a semi auto takedown, I whole heartedly recommend the Ruger 10/22. Is it the best thing out there? No, but it is versatile, lightweight, has a million different options and very dependable. Marlin Papoose is a great option as well. Savage has recently come out with a takedown model too and it is very reminiscent of the Papoose. The Browning SA-22 is probably one of my favorite semi auto 22’s of all time. They are pricy, but a pure joy to own and shoot. So many options as far as 22 rifles. Why narrow it down to just one?

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    The AR7 is a bit too awkward on the ergonomics side to be a ton of fun to shoot. The stock is massive and weird to grip. Super cool gun though. The Savage 64 takedown is a good shooter and of a similar style if you like that long exposed barrel, and a lot cheaper than a 10/22 takedown.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are hard to beat when used as a survival tool . I’ve got one that’s been carried for thousands of miles and fired less than a box of shells . The few times I’ve used it , it preformed as expected . The fact that it floats has been beneficial several times .

edit to add, mine was made by charter arms .

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dang it! Now I am going to be on the lookout for one of these. I didn’t even know they existed.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've got a like new charger takedown lite model if you decide on one.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Anyone own or shoot one of these?

How does it compare to other 22lr rifles like the Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, etc.?

Been kind of considering adding a 22lr rifle to my safe, and thought this or some sort of take down rifle might be a good addition.
    Its a survival rifle. Thats its cool factor and selling point. Good for people who spend a day in the woods and can easily get lost backpackers, hikers, campers, canoe, big game hunters that walk in circles. Cant tell the AFT that you lost it in a canoe accident because that shit floats . Ammo stays dry in the buttstock if you have to cross a river. Stuff like that make it good for what it is. It is good enough for minute of hungry. Outside of getting lost it doesnt compare to other 22s.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Sojurn

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never owned an AR7. I did however stumble across this tho once. It looks like if you adapt it, it then becomes alot more compact and ergonomic
    I am looking for something like that but haven't found anything in stock. This is a casual shooter for the wife that is of smaller stature. The floating stock is kind of awkward.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I am looking for something like that but haven't found anything in stock. This is a casual shooter for the wife that is of smaller stature. The floating stock is kind of awkward.
    Check into this brand. They may have something. I saw they make similar cool stuff. I stumbled across them and thought they too looked cool. I didn't check what all makes and models they cover tho. Maybe they do AR7 also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-171640_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20220705-171640_Chrome.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 48

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Shows in stock. Know nothing about this vendor though.

Top Bottom