• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    I need some help y’all. I just purchased a canik tp9 elite combat on GCGF here and I think I know why it was for sale.. the thread protector is not coming off.. not with heat and muscle, not with pliers and a tshirt.. who knows who I can bring this to so I don’t have to cut the barrel and buy a new one?? Any help is appreciated.. and before it’s asked.. yes I am twisting righty loosy here :)

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Worst case if you do have to cut it off, use a Dremel perpendicular to the threads.
    Cut very slow. It's not a race. As you cut through it, it will spread cause it's under tension. You may not have to cut the entire length to get it to come off. Take a used wheel or a new one and run it on some steel to wear it down so its real small so you don't get into the slide

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    JJ /ONESHOT WILL GET THAT OFF FOR YOU.
    ALLOW ME TO LABEL WHOEVER INSTALLED THAT A DUMBASS. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Thanks for the help this quickly I appreciate it from y’all, and I posted here after kroil soak and heat and yes a little left loosy for that possibility.. I just don’t have the right method I guess but I knew if I reached out someone would!
    I’ll post when it’s off so until then keep hitting me with some good info :)

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    How did he get it off?
    After a few other options I decided to just trash the protector and he ground flat three points on the protector and put it in the lathe vise, we both twisted together on it and it came off,, threads still in tact :)
    And I learned the manual was wrong. It is regular 1/2 x 28 right hand thread. Another job well done by JJ!! We played in the backyard a bit and talked it up,, I even ended up leaving an old Springfield .22 there to spruce up :)

Top Bottom