• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have 2 long barrel uppers for a potential precision build:

Upper #1: .223 Wylde stainless heavy profile 20". Slick side receiver, 15" keymod rail, nice stainless brake. 1:9 twist

Upper #2 .223 Wylde Parkerized heavy profile fluted 24". Standard receiver, 17" M-Lok rail, birdcage. 1:9 twist

My thoughts: I prefer a forward assist and M-Lok. The muzzle devices don't matter cause I plan on using a Dead Air Keymo brake. I like the flutes and I like stainless. Not sure if chrome lined or what.

Are there any gains or benefit of a 24" barrel compared to a 20"? Any losses?
    Is Stainless or parked "better"?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    That is my plan. But I was hoping members might help bias a decision based on experience.
    What distance should I shoot at.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same load will provide more velocity from the longer barrel. That's roughly 160fps starting advantage in those four inches and your not buning extra powder to get there. Accuracy isn't always found at cartridge maximum velocity but I wouldn't toss away velocity potential. Fluted barrels have more surface area for heat dissipation. I like the preformance of a 20 inch over a 16 but other than varmints/precision a 24 inch is just to long for my taste on other applications.

However, since you already have "two": get at least three match loads in different wgt/vel and test both. I'd zero with range ammo then do three or or four shot group for size comparison with each load. Repeat with same glass on second upper. We didn't get barrel Mfr names so let the RESULTS truely determine the barrel with the best accuracy. You'll know what to do from there.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Well, for a dedicated long distance rifle I would have picked a 6.5 Creedmore AR10, never any of the 20+ calibers available for the AR15. It's not too late to start over if you're still trying to decide which upper. There's good reasons why 6.5 Creedmore is winning matches and so wildly popular the last few years. How long is your idea of "long distance"?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I've seen a 223 get deflected by a blade of grass in the prone position, a blade of grass so thin couldn't even see it in the scope, never mind the wind throwing around that little bitty 22 caliber bullet. Step up to 6.5 or a 308, or if you got money, a 300 Win Mag AR.... for serious long range semiautomatic performance

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thanks wildrider666. That's kinda where my mindset was.

Raven, I was thinking varmint/precision as I really don't get a chance to shoot past 500 yards. But I was hoping to get bored at 500 and learn the ways of distance shooting. But with the ammo scene and availability of longer ranges, I doubt I will have many opportunities to do much of it anytime soon.
    But I happen to have an extra AR-10 receiver set. Perhaps after I give these barrels a shake down, and get bored with my 308 builds, I will look into a new caliber!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Thanks wildrider666. That's kinda where my mindset was.

Raven, I was thinking varmint/precision as I really don't get a chance to shoot past 500 yards. But I was hoping to get bored at 500 and learn the ways of distance shooting. But with the ammo scene and availability of longer ranges, I doubt I will have many opportunities to do much of it anytime soon.
    But I happen to have an extra AR-10 receiver set. Perhaps after I give these barrels a shake down, and get bored with my 308 builds, I will look into a new caliber!
    When I get bored I hope to buy a Barrett

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've seen a 223 get deflected by a blade of grass in the prone position, a blade of grass so thin couldn't even see it in the scope, never mind the wind throwing around that little bitty 22 caliber bullet. Step up to 6.5 or a 308, or if you got money, a 300 Win Mag AR.... for serious long range semiautomatic performance
    I was also thinking (way in the future) if I mastered the .22 and .308 at 500 yards and up, I would probably look into a bolt gun for "long range". Wouldn't that be better for "serious" long range?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I was also thinking (way in the future) if I mastered the .22 and .308 at 500 yards and up, I would probably look into a bolt gun for "long range". Wouldn't that be better for "serious" long range?
    There's half MOA semiautomatics, like Les Baer and Knights products. The new Barrett bolt action rifle is multi caliber with quick change barrels, mags and bolts all in one receiver. They just add to and take away polymer to the mags to go from 308 to 338 in the same mag well. One of the benefits of a bolt gun.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have both of those uppers on hand, then just go to the range with a selection of the best loads you have on hand and see which groups better at 100 yards.

The barrel is the single most important component of the rifle when it comes to precision. Once you figure out which barrel shoots better, then swap the upper receiver and hand guard you prefer to that barrel.
    Makes a lot of sense.

In this part of the country shooting at a 1,000 yards is usually not so important other than the pride that one can do so.

Top Bottom