• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As you guys probably know by now I have gotten to know my way around an AR a little,but know entirely nothing of AK's,Saiga's,and their varrients.How many are there and how would you distinguish the diffrent ones?I want to pick one up soon,and want to know a little background on the diffrent ones out there,price ranges,quality,ect...I am not affraid to say I dont know about something,this area is completely forign to me..

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stay away from CIA Century Amrs 80% I see have front sight post canted to the right about 4-8 degrees. sloppy magwell, , best AK I have had B-west Norinco in 2.23.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No wasr 10s (mag dimples on stamped recievers are a must)

SAR1 are good romys

Norinco is one of the best Ak47s available (mak90 is same gun as a 56s but with nuetered ban stock/ect.)

Saiga usually come in sporter form, but you can buy the ones already converted, good 2 go

Arsenal are top of the line, yugos are good but usually have the worthless underfolder stock

Out of any AK, id take a Norinco type 56 or any version based off of it, thicker reciever, double hook trigger, just built to last a century

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I came across a "Krinks" receiver using a romanian parts kit in a trade.

For lack of a better word, it was absolute shit.

The receiver hadn't been properly heat treated, I could twist and flex it with my bare hands causing the trigger group pins to come out etc. The receiver was also too long, so the dust cover didn't fit.

Learned that lesson the hard way. There are garbage AK's out there!

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've owned wasr 10s and never once had any sort of problem. Yeah you might get a canted sight but they are designed to run with minimum maintenance like all AKs. I trust a wasr 10 with my life easily. Any AK will do you fine as long as its in OK condition.

Last edited:

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get a Saiga you will not be dissapointed just make sure it is converted to take AK mags

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WASRs get a bad name because they are mass produced....sometimes they have problems. They are still built from very good parts....and the ones that are put together correctly are fine. One of the best values out there is the m10 ...which is a wasr....but built with attention to detail...and modernized with some descent rails. Mine will shoot 2 minutes of angle.....and I took a nice 6 point deer with it this season.
    The milled receivers are considered golden.....but the stamped receivers actually have a longer lifespan.....for fewer $.
    Saigas are awesome for the $ ....but you can get into some major work to get them configured like most aks come stock.
    Choosing an ak is similar to building an ar15.... In that there are many options, and you need to figure out what you want to do with it....and then pick the one that fits the need.......long barrel,short,fixed comfortable stock....or side folder...underfolder....pistol.
    I suggest one of each!

Top Bottom