• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    When I’m shooting a pistol/revolver, I’ll look and concentrate/focus at the front sight. I have noticed a lot of laser sights which produce a red dot at the supposed point of impact (Like you see in the movies). Now imagine in low light conditions finding that red dot may be an advantage. Not sure in for full light or at distance, that red dot would be easy to pick up quickly. And I would be concerned that focusing on trying to find a red dot would take away from fundamental skills of focusing on a front sight. So, where do you look? And why?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    They make some that pulse....much better I think. Ymmv. I don't focus just put the dot on the target. My old eyes are crap and can't see the irons. I 0ed the laser for 15 feet.

Attachments

• 20211223_184413_001.jpg
      20211223_184413_001.jpg
      379.8 KB · Views: 71
    Last edited:

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For close range, 15yards and in, I have been practicing point shooting first shot. I look at the target. Working on naturally pointing the muzzle with out aiming or using the sight.

One drill I like to run at the range, I load 4 mags with 2 bullets each. I start low ready/ holstered, rack, point shoot, aim shoot, dump mag,reload, slide release, point shoot... repeat, until I run throught the mags, as fast as possible. Running this cycle to conserve ammo yet running through ever step of the process. Getting round on target with out the sight first shot is my goal. Both eyes open.

Practice dry firing at home and picking points in peripherals of my vision. Point, then confirm with the site/laser. The more I do this I find I can naturally point the gun at the target.

By no means a pro shooter and there are tons of different ways to skin a cat but currently thats been my focus.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have a hard time finding a dot on a pistol. If I just pull and point the dot is high. I feel as if I have to hold the gun down and lean my hand to the right to line the dot with my sights. Could be my shooting stance or my eyes. I've been practicing around the house and its driving me crazy. My first one on a handgun. I have them on ARs and can dial in quickly. Don't know why the pistol is giving me fits.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have a hard time finding a dot on a pistol. If I just pull and point the dot is high. I feel as if I have to hold the gun down and lean my hand to the right to line the dot with my sights. Could be my shooting stance or my eyes. I've been practicing around the house and its driving me crazy. My first one on a handgun. I have them on ARs and can dial in quickly. Don't know why the pistol is giving me fits.

Takes me lots of practice and then if I don’t practice for a week it is gone…

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    OP you are correct to think lasers at distance are difficult to see in bright daylight. They really shine in low light conditions or indoors.

We are field testing visible lasers right now for road patrol as they are just another tool to be used under the appropriate conditions.

To the poster who said they have problems picking up a red dot on a pistol... same here... it’s a common issue that with practice can be overcome. It’s why I’ve decided to limit my pistol red dot use to hunting only. I’m too old to start transitioning to all red dots.

For up close work, ten yards and in, lots of shooters fine irons to be as fast or faster than a red dot... but I suppose that’s shooter dependent.

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Had a buddy show up at the house with a Leupold Delta Point Micro on a G43. Really nice setup, however, the limited view on the optic forces you to use good shooting fundamentals just to see the dot. Just as well go with a good illuminated sight.

Just ordered a some night sights for my G30 and 43. Front sight only. No need for the rear to be illuminated with extreme low light conditions at close quarters.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate to admit this, but the night sights on my pistol mostly helps me find it on the nightstand. I’ve put red dots on a couple of rangeguns and do seem to shoot tighter groups with them. But at the range I’d shoot some bad guy at there’d likely be powder burns on him and sights wouldn’t matter. If I were a lot younger I’d likely try red dots on my carry gun as most of my younger friends shoot tighter groups with them. Father Time and Mother Nature are making it more difficult to learn new techniques these days.

Last edited:

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Green lasers/tracers are bad for my heart rate and blood pressure

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    LASERMAX GUIDE ROD LASER is the way I go. Lots of pluses for this system,both in shooting,and for training.
    Hunting pistols with green lasers are a real plus also. Choose a green dot ( MOS,etc.), or a green visable laser. --- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had issues with a dot on a pistol too. Whether it's a laser or an optic... didn't matter. Caught myself looking for the dot when I should be shooting already. Way too distracting. Much better to have a rail mounted light than a dot. Maybe try both as a combo if you want. The NRA statistics say we only have an average of 2.5 seconds to respond to a threat. That means HALF OF THE TIME we have LESS than 2.5 seconds to respond to a threat. That includes drawing your weapon from cover or a drawer or a glove box or wherever and then deciding what to do with it while bringing it up and pulling a trigger. Don't spend your last second on earth looking for a bouncing red dot

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I had issues with a dot on a pistol too. Whether it's a laser or an optic... didn't matter. Caught myself looking for the dot when I should be shooting already. Way too distracting. Much better to have a rail mounted light than a dot. Maybe try both as a combo if you want. The NRA statistics say we only have an average of 2.5 seconds to respond to a threat. That means HALF OF THE TIME we have LESS than 2.5 seconds to respond to a threat. That includes drawing your weapon from cover or a drawer or a glove box or wherever and then deciding what to do with it while bringing it up and pulling a trigger. Don't spend your last second on earth looking for a bouncing red dot
    While I agree with this, the red dot may be showing how long it takes me to aquire a target. I really feel that's it's just messing with my head and I can reel in on irons faster, but only range time will tell. At this point the red dot is on a target pistol, so no worry.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    LASERMAX GUIDE ROD LASER is the way I go. Lots of pluses for this system,both in shooting,and for training.
    Hunting pistols with green lasers are a real plus also. Choose a green dot ( MOS,etc.), or a green visable laser. --- SAWMAN
    I had one of these once. It came used with a used Glock. The "on" button is your takedown lever. Strike one. There's only one hour or so worth of battery stored inside that tiny little guide rod. Strike two. Lean sideways on something like a truck center console or whatever, even while holstered, and you'll see that any sideways pressure on the pistol itself and it'll turn on that laser. The "on" buttons protrude too much. But they have to because they're the takedown button too. Spend enough time checking your boots to see if your laser is painting the ground and you'll see the problem with that. Nevermind if it's out of a holster and sideways on a table or in a glove box and gets pressed sideways and turns on, running down the dinky little batteries. Mine had dead batteries most of the time and who knows how long they were dead before I found them. Strike three.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have selected the pulse mode for all my green dots.
    At the normal handgun fighting distances I can quite easily pick up these dots with my old eyes.
    The time lost is due to having to turn this equipment on.
    On the good side (realistic side) I really do not expect to ever have to do the Marshall Dillon/Gunsmoke thang.
    I mean Christ,do ready - set - go or "say when" scenario's REALLY HAPPEN ?? (I am talking in the REAL world ?? ) ---- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lasers are gimmicks that give an excuse to not practice and execute proper fundamentals of pistol shooting. They may have their place for night time hunting applications (maybe)... but for a self defense weapon, using a laser is basically throwing every fundamental step that knowledgeable instructors teach, out the window.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    When the chips are down and hundredths of a second count anything that slows down my reaction time could get me killed. You're not going to have time to aim. There are no red/green dots or lasers on my "bet your life on guns". Even taking time to line up the night sights can get you killed. I like night sights, especially the big glowing dot on the front of the slide. That glowing dot helps you know where the gun is pointing, and that, to me, is the most important thing. I think the "seeing conditions" inside your own house should determine how your defensive firearm is set up.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Not sure if op is asking about lasers or red dots. My opinion on both: I find the laser to be very distracting, looking for the laser dot instead of the basic handgun fundamentals. I haven't tried a pulsing one. As far as a red dot on a pistol, I love the circle dot retical by holoson. I have mine set up with the circle only. It is large and easy to pick up. I have a couple other pistols with 2-3 moa dots. My feeling is mixed on these. It's much harder to acquire the dot versus a 65 moa circle. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom