• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearkat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, here are the results from my Remington 552 Speedmaster BDL restoration and engraving. It belonged to the father of a man that I consider my brother. He wants to give it to his son as a graduation present and asked me if I would restore it. I consider all 4 of his sons as my own, so of course I accepted the job. It had pits, rust, discoloration, and he wanted maple leaves engraved on the stock (his family crest). I stripped it down, removed the pits, reblued it, and did he engraving. I got it done in time for his graduation party and I think that it turned out pretty good. I love restoring heirlooms.

Attachments

• 20200527_160350.jpg
      20200527_160350.jpg
      713.5 KB · Views: 430
    • 20200527_160358.jpg
      20200527_160358.jpg
      602.4 KB · Views: 436
    • 20200527_160143.jpg
      20200527_160143.jpg
      737.2 KB · Views: 429
    • 20200527_160500.jpg
      20200527_160500.jpg
      553.7 KB · Views: 433
    • 20200527_160511.jpg
      20200527_160511.jpg
      470.9 KB · Views: 444
    • 20200520_075024.jpg
      20200520_075024.jpg
      513 KB · Views: 408

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well, here are the results from my Remington 552 Speedmaster BDL restoration and engraving. It belonged to the father of a man that I consider my brother. He wants to give it to his son as a graduation present and asked me if I would restore it. I consider all 4 of his sons as my own, so of course I accepted the job. It had pits, rust, discoloration, and he wanted maple leaves engraved on the stock (his family crest). I stripped it down, removed the pits, reblued it, and did he engraving. I got it done in time for his graduation party and I think that it turned out pretty good. I love restoring heirlooms.
    S

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

My God that engraving in the stock is unreal and beautiful.. May I ask how long did the engraving take you.. Did you do that by hand..??

TheLoneGun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gorgeous work. As someone who has a few heirlooms, it's awesome to see how you really customized the gift.

Bearkat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My God that engraving in the stock is unreal and beautiful.. May I ask how long did the engraving take you.. Did you do that by hand..??

Thank you very much. It took me about a week from start to finish.

Yes sir, I do all my work by hand. No lasers or CNC for me. I want my reputation as a gunsmith/engraver to be as an artisan and artist, not a technician (I did the weapons technician thing for many years in the military). I have to be pleased with the job or it doesn't leave my shop. I am my toughest critic.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Yes sir, I do all my work by hand. No lasers or CNC for me. I want my reputation as a gunsmith/engraver to be as an artisan and artist, not a technician (I did the weapons technician thing for many years in the military). I have to be pleased with the job or it doesn't leave my shop. I am my toughest critic.

Ok I must ask, because this idea of engraving on firearms fascinated me. I bring you in the gun. I want something engraved on the metal of the rifle.. What if you make a mistake while engraving and place a large mark on the item where you did not want it,. You can not do it over.. can you..??

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am starting the process of acquiring firearms to pass down. I did not have anyone in my family that did anything of the sort. So I wanted to be able to pass things down. Family heirlooms seem to be a thing that is fading away these days. Whether it's firearms or something else in the family. Younger folks just don't seem to have pride in their family anymore.

Bearkat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I must ask, because this idea of engraving on firearms fascinated me. I bring you in the gun. I want something engraved on the metal of the rifle.. What if you make a mistake while engraving and place a large mark on the item where you did not want it,. You can not do it over.. can you..??
    First, practice practice practice. Even after that, stuff happens. One of the most important things to learn with engraving is learning how to fix a mistake. Another, and even more important thin, is to learn is one's limitations (based on practice). I wouldn't accept a job if I felt that it is so difficult that an accident is likely.

Bearkat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am starting the process of acquiring firearms to pass down. I did not have anyone in my family that did anything of the sort. So I wanted to be able to pass things down. Family heirlooms seem to be a thing that is fading away these days. Whether it's firearms or something else in the family. Younger folks just don't seem to have pride in their family anymore.
    I know what you mean and it's a crying shame. I'm holding out hope though. I thought this younger generation of guys was never gonna carry on like men. Then my oldest nephew joined the military and does the same job as his dad did. Our country is gonna be just fine.

More directly to your statement, they will appreciate the heirlooms, just maybe not in the same time frame that you'd hope perhaps.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First, practice practice practice. Even after that, stuff happens. One of the most important things to learn with engraving is learning how to fix a mistake. Another, and even more important thin, is to learn is one's limitations (based on practice). I wouldn't accept a job if I felt that it is so difficult that an accident is likely.

Many many thanks for your time to answer

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The making of mighty fine pass on to family custom work,,,,,,If you dont mind send a ole man estimate of work like the Maple Leaf band on the stock cost in P.M. Thanks olecarver

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

i salute your talent sir

Latest posts

Top Bottom