• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought a new $250 push mower last summer, used it maybe 6 times and now it won't start/run. The thing is supposed to have a 2 yr warranty but home dipshit wants to charge me to fix it, $60 minimum. "Sounds like a gas problem, gas problems aren't covered under the warranty" they say.

Being a construction contractor I used to do thousands of dollars of business there every year but they've seen my last nickel. Didn't seem to phase them when I mentioned that.

I'm so tried of paying hard earned money for crap that doesn't last a year, so pissed off right now I can't think straight. Anybody need a good boat anchor? Anybody have a used mower that runs for sale?

Rick

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes ethanol is not good, i use sea foam , an have added a second fuel filter to my boat gas line, also change out complete gas line every 2yrs. Still have to blow out carbs once in a while!!!dump all gas out of your tank , clean carb, add sea foam an see if that cures it?? bEST TO GET 5GAL. CAN OF NON ETH. GAS JUST FOR MOWER AN WHEN WINTER HITS RUN SOME STABIL THROUGH IT.JUST MY 9CENTS

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I had the same experience. New push mower from Lowe's late last summer. Used it 3-4 times, the put in the garage for the winter. It would not start this year. Dumped the gas out, put about 1/3 of a tank of Sea Foam in it, pulled the rope a few times, then filled with NON-ethanol gas and let it sit a few days. Started on the second pull. I normally only put non-ethanol in my boat and lawn equipment but I had filled it with E-15 because I was out of the real gasoline. If you treat your gas cans with Sea Foam and Stabil (Marine Stabil if you insist on using E-15) you will not have carburetor troubles again unless you let dirt or water get in there.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using Sea Foam in my small engine gas for years and a can every third tank of gas in my truck. My old mower would sit all winter and start on the third pull every time using it. This mower sat all winter too with Sea Foam in it but had a hard time starting it first time this year. Now it won't start/run at all.

Where can I get real gas?

I guess I'll take the carb off and see if I can find any issues in there. Damn I hate working on small engines, give me a small block Ford any day.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Drain the old gas, check all hoses to make sure they haven't been eaten away by the ethanol, pull the carb and clean it. After that put it all back together and put non-ethanol gas in it and see if it runs. I have a couple small engines I have to do myself. I'm going to get a gas can strictly for small engines and buy non-ethanol gas for them. The treatments help but they are no guarantee the ethanol won't get to you.

A friend of mine helped pull my teenagers Honda 250 ATV carburetor and clean it this Spring after it wouldn't start. It was all gummed up. Cleaned the Carb and put fresh gas in and it ran like a champ!

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even with treatment I still find small particles of rubber from gas line an gas cap rubber washer, for you boaters out there with portable gas tanks, tilt the tank with one corner down, let it sit for awhile an then siphon from that lower corner into a glass jar, set jar up somewhere an come look later, water will be on bottom or jar if you have any!! just a indicator!! Denny in pace!! I buy ethonal proof gas lines an still see rubber particles in my gas filters!!

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Rick, just remove and clean the carb(maybe just the cover), I have to do it yearly even after using the stabilt stuff to kill ethanol. HD is right, they cannot warrant the gas you put in or if you drain for the winter, no one will.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, two different aircraft left here and ended up in a pile of scrap aluminum from ethanol. The FAA approved auto fuel for certain models and in hindsight they realized that might not have been a good plan.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best bet is drain gas before you put it up for the winter and don't forget to run all the gas out. Knock on wood but I have been running the ethanol since the 70's in everything I have had. Cars,trucks,chainsaws,mowers and haven't had any problems. Now watch,When I leave the motor home will be all junked up.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I put nothing but 100% gas in all my small engines including my 4 wheeler.
    My blower was hard to start and running rough and I put an extra strong mix of gas and Sea Foam in there. White smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Now it runs like a champ.
    A few years ago I bought a Poulan chain saw. Brand new out of the box the darn thing wouldn't start. About a week later I took it to a Poulan authorized service center. Went back a week later and he said there was trash in the carb and that would be $60.
    My last Poulan.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Where can I get real gas?
    scenic hwy and i10 gas station has it. place on olive near sears blvd does too.
    I guess I'll take the carb off and see if I can find any issues in there. Damn I hate working on small engines, give me a small block Ford any day.
    me too!!!! lets swap one on your mower.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can never remember what their return policy is...if u can return mowers go to another HD buy the same mower and return the old one days later..............or do what these other mechanically inclined gentlemen recommend

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    she is way too proud of hers....$4.29 gallon..

little station just over the line in Seminole, on the right has it, also just heard today, the cmp store @ becks lake rd & 29 in cantonment has it

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have electric chain saws as well as gas, electric starts every time, gas not so much, one is battery powered, they do good around house, not making a log cabin lol.Denny in pace!!

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stopped going to Home dipshit a few years back for a similar situation. My mower doesn't really give me a hard time but the weedeater, damn that thing. What I started doing was before cranking it I give it a quick shot of carb cleaner and she fires right up on the first or second pull. But if you want to boycott someplace. Boycott the raceway in between HD and Lowes those jackasses don't take cigarette coupons. Those Dipshits!!!!

Top Bottom