• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So a few years back I bought a Hi-Point 45. Liked it well enough for what it is. Even my gal liked shooting it. Those springs in the buttstock really do work! But the dated design left a lot to desire. When those bullpup chassis first came out, I had to have one. It is definitely cool. The trigger sucked but so did the original. Ofter some tinkering and a cool little modification I got it pretty much as good as the factory trigger. Lots of fun. The manual of arms are wonky but relatively intuitive considering it's a bull pup. The ergonomics weren't the best, and there's no effective way to fix it. The 9 round mags are a drag, and a pain to load.

So I started looking at options. Nearly bought a TNW Aero Survival Pistol. Also thought about the mech tech uppers, but man they're heavy and I didn't want to buy a glock to use it, and I didn't see an option for my XDm or M&P. Considered building an ar-45. But that meant a dedicated lower, and other factors. So not really an ar anyway. I was impressed with a friend's CMMG's Banshee 300 in 9mm. So much so I purchased their 9mm upper and pinned it to my M4 Pistol lower. It uses these cool conversion mags. Liked that so much, I bought their .22 bcg and barrel kits and assembled a .22 banshee upper. Also cool!

All that to say, (back to the .45) I bought a Banshee in .45 (Mk-G) last Christmas. Super lightweight (a pound and a half less than the Hi-Point/Tower!) Glockazines!!! The manual of arms is AR, so are the trigger, grip, etc. And it has a threaded barrel and a cool Fastback Rip-Stock. I love it so far. The only change I have made so far is adding a folding buffer tube adapter, and some iron sights.

The cool thing about the CMMG is it's not the traditional direct blowback you see in other ar-45's. It has their patented radial delayed blowback. While not necessary, it is definitely a better design. And a lot less complicated than the Kriss.

For the same money as building an ar-45, I would love to try a TNW. But never got the chance. Anyway it's pricy, but I'm happy with my decision. Goodluck with yours!

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got in a stern defense upper for 45 to go with my joe bobs 45 lower. Says it has an enlarged ejection port. I’m going to have to take a micrometer to it. Looks like a normal mil spec upper. It wasn’t priced like a normal mil spec upper.

I’ve seen enlarged ejection ports done at home. It looked like crap.

Also got in buffer spring and heavy blowback buffer.

Need to buy more parts after next paycheck.

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Got in a stern defense upper for 45 to go with my joe bobs 45 lower. Says it has an enlarged ejection port. I’m going to have to take a micrometer to it. Looks like a normal mil spec upper. It wasn’t priced like a normal mil spec upper.

I’ve seen enlarged ejection ports done at home. It looked like crap.

Also got in buffer spring and heavy blowback buffer.

Need to buy more parts after next paycheck.
    Which buffer and spring did you go with? Kaw Valley?

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes from joe bobs

Kaw Valley Precision AR-15 Tungsten Blowback Buffer - 10oz
    Kaw Valley Precision .308/Pistol Caliber Extra Power Carbine Buffer Spring

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I opted for Stern's buffer.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Given weight difference might should have gone stern but I’ve had good luck with Kaw valley on my 9mm

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lost track of the parts I need. They are in a box.

Life went sideways. Dad unexpectedly and suddenly died. My responsibilities greatly increased.

I better sort parts and get them in before they become unobtainable

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with James, building is half the fun...
    I've had two contacts with JustRight and both eere disasters. Both gins left the factory with serious problems and the maker was less than helpful. Too many other options out there to mess with them

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So it looks like everybody is using the mechtec conversion and the jr model with mixed results. So I'm guessing no ar45's must be too damm expensive or a train wreck. Thanks.

So for 1911 frame 10mm barrel about $600.
    Well, the short(ish) history of AR45s is that most of the original companies that tried this in the mid 2000's after the the LAR craze, had problems with major recoil damage to the buffer tubes but more importantly the bolt carrier group. Pistol length bolt carrier groups at the time were flat out not durable enough to make for a consistent cycle. There are new AR45s on the market today, i believe cmmg, that makes these rotary bolt AR45s, this mitigates recoil, creates less wear on the bolt, and extends the service life of parts as a whole. The Beretta PX4 storm incorporates a rotating barrel that creates a similar effect, low recoil and long service life of parts, just as a sidenote.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Well, the short(ish) history of AR45s is that most of the original companies that tried this in the mid 2000's after the the LAR craze, had problems with major recoil damage to the buffer tubes but more importantly the bolt carrier group. Pistol length bolt carrier groups at the time were flat out not durable enough to make for a consistent cycle. There are new AR45s on the market today, i believe cmmg, that makes these rotary bolt AR45s, this mitigates recoil, creates less wear on the bolt, and extends the service life of parts as a whole. The Beretta PX4 storm incorporates a rotating barrel that creates a similar effect, low recoil and long service life of parts, just as a sidenote.
    Then there is the hi point hammer too.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    My AR45 soulution.. G21 - 26 rd mags, shake awake dot. Factory barrel, have the 6.5 barrel but would not fit without whittling.

Attachments

• 20210630_201353.jpg
      20210630_201353.jpg
      9.1 MB · Views: 92
    Top Bottom