• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hey guys. Just picked up an H&R Topper 88 20ga from another member today. Gun's in good shape and I paid a good price for it, but I just noticed the transfer bar is broken and the hammer can't strike the firing pin. I cooked it, heard something rattling, when when I tilted it upside down half the dang bar fell out. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Do older H&R hammers fit that don't need the transfer bar? Anyone know a good gunsmith? Lol. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20220316_230133.jpg
      20220316_230133.jpg
      231.9 KB · Views: 90

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    For the money, it's not worth paying a gunsmith by the hour for fixing. I'd weld something on to that hammer to get it to hit the pin and call it good

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never done this personally but it's possible you can just cut the protrusion of the hammer I'm talking about the piece of metal that strikes above the transfer bar

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    In order to weld the transfer bar or cut the hammer the parts must be removed. If the transfer bar is available, why not just fix it the right way? So it works the way it was intended? It would likely be less work. The part doesn't sound like it would be that expensive. In addition, if cutting the hammer would work and that is an if, it would render the gun not drop safe to carry loaded. If you only have one shot to begin with . . . . .

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    $25 will fix it. Any repair you make other than replacing the transfer bar will make it an accident waiting to happen. If you can get it over this way with the new part I’ll install the new transfer bar for you and won’t charge you a thing. It’s about a 30 minute job .

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    With any gun you want factory parts or approved aftermarket. You alter anything without the proper license and it ends up in Court.. better bring soap on a rope.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    I might be wrong because they don't call it a transfer bar, this is your part. There are two variations of this part (A) and (B). Same price.

H&R / NEF STRIKER & LIFTER ASSEMBLY https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1139220A

$25.92​

Manufacturer: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON
    Model: SINGLE BARREL SHOTGUN SERIES
    Product #: 1139220B
    1647525977033.png

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    If you have large fingers or not skilled or not patience when things don't fall into place the way you hope they would the first, second, or even the third time around, than take Plinker's advice. Take it to JJ or some one with the skill. As helpful as YouTube videos are they may cause more problems than they solve. Lighting and camera angles are the issue. It's not the same as watching some one do it in front of you.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I'd take the opportunity to get rid of the transfer bar. Cut a slot, put a triangular nipple shaped piece of steel in the slot as a firing pin, drill it, roll pin. Done. Before anybody says it's not safe, old school revolvers are highly sought after. Know your weapon and its not any more dangerous a system than the next system. Who's to say the factory replacement parts won't bugger up the same way they already have with your shotgun? This is why revolver aficionados favor the old Smith and Wesson way of doing things. Firing pins on the hammer keep it simple (K.I.S.S.) and reliable and eliminates a source of problems
    Screenshot_20220317-225134_Chrome.jpg

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    I'd take the opportunity to get rid of the transfer bar. Cut a slot, put a triangular nipple shaped piece of steel in the slot as a firing pin, drill it, roll pin. Done. Before anybody says it's not safe, old school revolvers are highly sought after. Know your weapon and its not any more dangerous a system than the next system. Who's to say the factory replacement parts won't bugger up the same way they already have with your shotgun? This is why revolver aficionados favor the old Smith and Wesson way of doing things. Firing pins on the hammer keep it simple (K.I.S.S.) and reliable and eliminates a source of problems
    The S&W DA/SA revolver has been drop safe forever. Frame mounted firing pin or hammer mounted. They're drop safe. The H&R Topper is all together different mechanically. Not even close. The H&R is not nearly as sophisticated. What tool that the average gun person would have could be capable of putting a precision slot in a hardened metal hammer? What hardened material could be used for the proposed firing pin? Do you think the level of talent needed is within the realm of most knowledgeable gun people? I have never heard of this particular failure before in any weapon. I'm not saying it has never happened just not to my knowledge. What is the possibility that a replacement hammer block for the H&R would experience the same failure? Remote if ever IMO. If available from Numrich it's a new after market replacement part not made by H&R. If the K.I.S.S. method of repair is the objective, replace the hammer block. In life, really important things are going to pop up that need your time and attention. This simple fix is not one of them. IMO I am often guilty of overthinking stuff. Replace the hammer block, shoot the gun, have fun. The next SNAFU is just around the corner.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    The S&W DA/SA revolver has been drop safe forever. Frame mounted firing pin or hammer mounted. They're drop safe. The H&R Topper is all together different mechanically. Not even close. The H&R is not nearly as sophisticated. What tool that the average gun person would have could be capable of putting a precision slot in a hardened metal hammer? What hardened material could be used for the proposed firing pin? Do you think the level of talent needed is within the realm of most knowledgeable gun people? I have never heard of this particular failure before in any weapon. I'm not saying it has never happened just not to my knowledge. What is the possibility that a replacement hammer block for the H&R would experience the same failure? Remote if ever IMO. If available from Numrich it's a new after market replacement part not made by H&R. If the K.I.S.S. method of repair is the objective, replace the hammer block. In life, really important things are going to pop up that need your time and attention. This simple fix is not one of them. IMO I am often guilty of overthinking stuff. Replace the hammer block, shoot the gun, have fun. The next SNAFU is just around the corner.
    I've seen multiple S&W transfer bar malfunctions. One in Pensacola about ten years ago. I personally have locked up two different transfer bars on two different Taurus revolvers. And for the record as to what tools to use on this shotgun hammer, any rotary tool and a file and a drill. Or you could just weld it like I said originally and just file it down to shape. Just because you don't have the skills or knowledge doesn't mean that nobody else does. Just because you haven't seen the malfunctions, doesn't mean nobody else has. If somebody is so worried about dropping their gun and "drop safe" then take the damn bullet out of the chamber! Or better yet leave it at the house or sell it. If you can't control it then you shouldn't handle it in the first place. For the record, I drop mine all the time, beat on them, throw them around, fished them off of the bottom of the river several times too and you know what? I'm not worried about it. Go jump out of a few perfectly good aircraft with guns, buttstroke something a hundred times and then go swimming in a swamp for a whole month. You'll lose your fear of dropping loaded guns real quick. To quote a few really old old timers: "there's more air than meat", referring to the astronomically low chances of anybody being hit by a bullet that is not actually aimed. Just two weeks ago I had a car in one of my parking lots get shot to shit at least a half a dozen times and the perp missed the driver altogether. I should have gotten pictures to prove the point to the keyboard warriors who just are not in the business of killing, but I was too worried about moving the victim along out of my parking lot and to the police station to make a report. On a seperate note, while buttstroking your aluminum and plastic fantastic a hundred times you'll also find out whether or not your "service rifle" (that has tolerances so gnats ass tight that it must be cleaned and lubed just to cycle) is up to the task of staking your life on it, or is now a broken P.O.S.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Check out graybeardoutdoors forum. Like the holy grail of handi rifles and pretty sure I've seen this exact repair detailed over there.

Top Bottom