• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Narrow Gap

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would like to get members opinions and thoughts on the H&K MR556. Thanks!

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heavy for an AR platform, piston system is simple and robust, bolt runs cool even under extreme use, parts interchangeability is not 100% with other AR platforms due to piston system. Accuracy is solid but at least the early models were overgassed and didn’t have an adjustable block. HK barrels are super tough and will last a lot longer than other makes.

It won’t really do anything a less expensive quality AR will do (except be heavier) but the flexing on the range you would be able to do with a real HK is second to none.

Narrow Gap

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the AR15 magazines not being compatible with the H&K MR556 will make the choice easy and not get the H&K MR556.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Standard aluminum mags will work, as will 3rd gen PMags and Lancer mags. I’m sure most NATO spec mags will work. The steel HK mags are awesome but springs are proprietary. Surefire 60 rounders won’t work either.

Narrow Gap

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Standard aluminum mags will work, as will 3rd gen PMags. The steel HK mags are awesome but springs are proprietary. Surefire 60 rounders won’t work either.
    10-4. I would need all AR15 magazines to be compatible to commit to buying one. I appreciate the feedback.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    10-4. I would need all AR15 magazines to be compatible to commit to buying one. I appreciate the feedback.

There were some growing pains but I think by now any AR mag will work. HK may have even changed the magwell architecture by now.

Pride of ownership is also a factor :cool:

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Honestly, I would only get an HK416/MR223-556 rifle is I was an HK snob or stupid rich.

For the price they demand, you can do much better kitting up a AR from Colt, BCM, DD, or others all while having AR-standard parts commonality.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They make quality equipment, for sure, but yep, except for a few products and applications most folks without a government budget backing them up are better served with a standard AR from a vetted manufacturer.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    It seems that many of the top-tier manufacturers like to use proprietary parts, H&K isn’t the only one. I’m an LWRC fan, but LWRC also likes using some proprietary parts. Sig does too, on their 516/716 piston platforms. Even on DI platforms, KAC has some proprietary parts. I don’t really mind the proprietary parts, except that these manufacturers are super stingy with selling spare parts. The H&K mr556 is a great quality platform, there are just probably better platforms for the money.

Southernlost

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It seems that many of the top-tier manufacturers like to use proprietary parts, H&K isn’t the only one. I’m an LWRC fan, but LWRC also likes using some proprietary parts. Sig does too, on their 516/716 piston platforms. Even on DI platforms, KAC has some proprietary parts. I don’t really mind the proprietary parts, except that these manufacturers are super stingy with selling spare parts. The H&K mr556 is a great quality platform, there are just probably better platforms for the money.
    I went from a mr556 to a pws mk1..less money and better quality imo..

Latest posts

Top Bottom