• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welsh72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Need a quality repair done to a Mas49/56 stock. Anyone have recommendations ?

Welsh72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    More pics

Attachments

• 48EAF219-44FD-4178-9FDA-3BDEB88D2A2C.jpeg
      48EAF219-44FD-4178-9FDA-3BDEB88D2A2C.jpeg
      434.4 KB · Views: 82
    • 5C01832B-1A16-49AE-A942-28D49A784B62.jpeg
      5C01832B-1A16-49AE-A942-28D49A784B62.jpeg
      365.6 KB · Views: 89

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow now that is a break :(.. But you know I would still try to fix it just for the chance to practice.

That stock finish does look alittle on the heavy used side.. Maybe you might consider just getting a new stock. There is a couple on e-bay right now.

This one even has the hand grips.

It is amazing how these French rifles have become more desirable over the years.

Good luck

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Order a surplus stock. Or have one carved for you. Place on 98 in Gulf Breeze or Navarre does this for custom Mausers. Chose a real dark and dense block of wood and it'll never crack again. Or maybe a fancy curly maple. Somebody help me with a name! Can't remember the name offhand, but they are in a strip mall, on the south side of Hwy 98, and they have all manner of African trophies hanging around too

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    GULF BREEZE GUN ,NEAR WHERE SAILWIND SANDWICHES USED TO BE ! WHERE HWY 399 ENDS AND ROAD SOUTH GOES TO HWY 90. SMALL STRIP MALL , APOINTMENT ONLY ! FITTING ELEPHANT GUN LAST TIME I STUMBLED IN .

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally would not have any reservations shooting this gun after fixing it using Acraglas. I have found this stuff to be very strong and has fixed breaks as bad as this and the rifles shot rounds as powerful, safely.

That being said I would really inspect the wood to make sure there are not more issues. This is a bad break and there may be more weak spots hidden in the wood that may show them selves after the fix

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bad break in a bad spot. I'd not shoot that stock either, myself. You could do an Acraglass repair with dowels or pins if you want to keep that stock "for display". For a shootin iron, I'd just get another stock. But, I value most of the parts of my face and head where they are.

I don't think Gulf Breeze Firearms will be of help. They are the only US Westley Richards agent. They sell super high end guns of the Safari variety, for the most part. Duke/LD is a good guy but I don't think he is going to help with this.

Welsh72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After having others look at the broken stock it was concluded this stock has to much dry rot. I have a new stock that I will throw on the rifle. May tinker with old for the practice. Thx for all the tips .

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Bad break in a bad spot. I'd not shoot that stock either, myself. You could do an Acraglass repair with dowels or pins if you want to keep that stock "for display". For a shootin iron, I'd just get another stock. But, I value most of the parts of my face and head where they are.

I don't think Gulf Breeze Firearms will be of help. They are the only US Westley Richards agent. They sell super high end guns of the Safari variety, for the most part. Duke/LD is a good guy but I don't think he is going to help with this.
    Gulf Breeze Firearms is probably the safari gun dealer on 98 that I was thinking of earlier in this thread. He showed me some absolutely gorgeous hardwood stock blanks

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gulf Breeze Firearms is probably the safari gun dealer on 98 that I was thinking of earlier in this thread. He showed me some absolutely gorgeous hardwood stock blanks

Yes, it is. I've never seen the blanks, but I can only imagine what they cost. I've been lucky 3 out of the 4 times I've been there he's had the vault open. I'd never ask him to bother opening it for me. The stuff that's in there--wowser.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Yes, it is. I've never seen the blanks, but I can only imagine what they cost. I've been lucky 3 out of the 4 times I've been there he's had the vault open. I'd never ask him to bother opening it for me. The stuff that's in there--wowser.
    I've been in the vault. Handled a $10,000 Mauser. We got to talking and they realized I knew rifles well and that I'd appreciate it for the treat it was

Reactions: WRM
    Top Bottom