• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I try to rotate my ammo around...so I shoot the oldest one. That is why I want to get a cabinet. My garage is secure enough. I got cameras looking at the driveway and cameras in my garage. Neighbors are always on the watch for new people in the area. That is why I am comfortable with going through the garage.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't care how you Store it: It's always wise to shoot your older stock first in rotation. You can have seperate stash for training, plinking and SHTF. Keep a Sharpie near your stock and put a month/year on each unit. If you break open a larger sealed container: mark the sub boxes the same as the original. Easier than lookikg at box flaps if useful info is there.

I've shot surplus (7.92×57 IS) that was allegedly, at some point: salvaged from flooded bunkers/magazines and "air dried" by (Israel?). Its ignition was Click W A I T bang. I was in a didn't give a damn mindset then, smarter now. Lol

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How long will ammo last inside the house? I've often wondered if 30 years from now will the ammo I saved money on be worth the investment or will I have wasted it. Don't think I'd ever put any in a garage. Temp and humidity swing is too much even if it's sealed up.

I'm a great believer in Ammo Cans.
    Oxidation on bullets will affect accuracy, so why tempt the devil?

And I like having an ammo safe...it's just one more layer of protection.
    Having been a firefighter, appreciate others using them as well :)

Oh, and...since a cousin's garage burned to the ground while he was working on the family van...
    if you don't have a sprinkler system in the garage, expect to loose everything if anything goes wrong.
    he used two fire extinguishers and it was a total loss before the 1st engine arrived..
    Burnt to the ground. Everything in there was toast.
    Gas in the van, paint on the shelves, wood everywhere...meant a small fire got VERY hot very fast.
    Anything plastic burns like crazy and releases toxic gasses....so you might go in with intent to
    grab a few things...but you might not make it back out. Stay Outside. Stuff can be replaced.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I'm a great believer in Ammo Cans.
    Oxidation on bullets will affect accuracy, so why tempt the devil?

And I like having an ammo safe...it's just one more layer of protection.
    Having been a firefighter, appreciate others using them as well :)

Oh, and...since a cousin's garage burned to the ground while he was working on the family van...
    if you don't have a sprinkler system in the garage, expect to loose everything if anything goes wrong.
    he used two fire extinguishers and it was a total loss before the 1st engine arrived..
    Burnt to the ground. Everything in there was toast.
    Gas in the van, paint on the shelves, wood everywhere...meant a small fire got VERY hot very fast.
    Anything plastic burns like crazy and releases toxic gasses....so you might go in with intent to
    grab a few things...but you might not make it back out. Stay Outside. Stuff can be replaced.
    Re-emphasizes not keeping everything in one place. Not even all in one house. Spred it out, in case you can't go home, or home is compromised

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Re-emphasizes not keeping everything in one place. Not even all in one house. Spred it out, in case you can't go home, or home is compromised
    Never thought about not being home when shtf. Don't know where else I would trust putting it.

TEXAN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mhmammalmm zzz Zzz, ZacH X z x, X xxx Xbox z, a x v cvč z

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TEXAN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I want to store all my ammo in a gun cabinet out in the garage. I am planning on securing the cabinet to the wall and floor, before anyone chimes in...I know that the gun cabinet can still be broken into because of the thin metal it is made of, but I am concerned about the humidity here in PCola.

I am planning on putting a dry-rod and some silica gel in the cabinet to minimize the humidity, but is there anything else that I should consider? BTW, I have some ammo cans that will be put into the cabinet, but I don't have enough for all the ammo.
    Sx cvč zázvoru z Vv z.z!3/#

TEXAN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Rebel been putting them in ammo cans, but getting to a point where I am running out of ammo cans. Also, I want to start organizing them by reload date or purchase date and rotate them around. Sort of like what shopping shelves look like. Putting the fresh stuff in the back and moving the older stuff out in front, so I just grab and go.
    Fu fu xxx

TEXAN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't know what kind of gun cabinet your using. There's not much benefit of using any type dehumidifier if the cabinet is not well sealed, moisture will continue to flow with the air and that's a loosing battle. Plug unused holes, silicone caulk all seams and mount bolts and use weather stripping on doors. Now you have a "container" that supports the reduction of humidity.

Best location is against interior wall especially if on a Slab which conducts outside temp. I have a concrete floor carport next to the house Slab. Adjacent to it is a bedroom with a tile floor: I can feel the tile is very warm three feet in from that dividing wall! For ammo storage you want the temp low and as with as little variance over time as you can get.

I've been using damprid in my gun safe for decades. I go into the Safe often. I dump about 4oz of water from the collection reservoir every month. I actually replaced the provided water collection reservoir with another larger container that fits the supplied Damprid reservoir/strainer that sits on top. Use unscented Damprid, I don't want nonessential fumes inside the Safe. Nothing to run a power cord to, nothing to plug in to dry it out. I store the refill bag (it has its own ziplock type seal) inside a HD Freezer Ziplocked bag and it sits on the floor of a closet: this stuff is so good it draws moisture into the space between the two bags!

Note: In the Safe I also use a light coat of RigRag (TM) on metal gun surfaces, no rust ever. But you can't coat ammo.
    By gt

TEXAN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well that took a weird turn.. SORRY GUYS! My phone wasnt locked and this was the result. I have no idea how i even got on this thread. I'll try and figure out how to delete it or we might be forced to look at this forever.
    In the meantine my pocket managed to "follow" 28 different people.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well that took a weird turn.. SORRY GUYS! My phone wasnt locked and this was the result. I have no idea how i even got on this thread. I'll try and figure out how to delete it or we might be forced to look at this forever.
    In the meantine my pocket managed to "follow" 28 different people.

Haha, you "butt-posted" the Forum. Nice...

We're glad you're not choking on your own drool in a field somewhere.

Top Bottom