• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NLytle

Expert
    My buddy is interested in selling this but isn’t sure what it’s worth. (If it’s worth anything at all.) Markings on barrel suggest it was built in 2006.

Any feedback would be great.

88a573fd2cdb1db1685a146edd5d3972.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RackinRay

Master
    What brand is it? What condition is the bore in? Any exterior condition issues?

A larger resolution pic would help see it better. Include the ornaments added to the stock as that may help place it's value in my opinion.

EDIT: Looks like that stock profile maybe a Lyman Great Plains rifle. It was sold as a kit or as a finished rifle.

Last edited:

Tuck

Shooter
    There should be some maker markings on the barrel. You can't really value it without knowing what it is but it does look like a Lyman. If it has a K prefix serial number it is a kit gun. A kit gun will bring less than a factory gun even if done very well. The ornamentation may lessen value of a factory as it is no longer stock but may also attract buyers as this is found on some period rifles.

Black powder is corrosive so how the rifle was maintained is also key to its value. Does the bore & pan area have any corrosion/pitting? You can drop a AA battery down the bore & use the reflection to get a pic but check the breech as well. Check condition of the touch hole, frizzen & frizzen spring too. Set triggers work correctly? All of these things & more affect value.

Make sure the rifle is actually unloaded. A muzzleloader isn't obvious when cleared like a cartridge gun. I bought a plains pistol that was in fact loaded with black powder & ball. You can use the ram rod to help check it.

Top Bottom