• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Made the wife dinner, had the kitchen cleaned by 6pm... thought tonight would be a good night to get out and smoke some yotes. Soon it will be too damn hot. Got set up in a field that usually produces. I had one come out of the woods about 200 yards away... held off, it move away. A short time later I saw one come from the woods kind of in the direction the one went earlier... could have been the same one... who knows. Hit the caller a few times and she made her way closer... shot her at about 125 yards.

Nothing else showed up so after about an hour I moved to a completely different area where I know for a fact coyotes hang out... it's a big field near the county waste facility... I've killed yotes here before but haven't hunted this field for perhaps a year or longer. I came in off the main road, killed my lights, and drove about 300 yards and stopped about 100 yards before a fence line that separates the private property I was on from a split piece of land that's owned by an industrial company and the the other part by the county.

There must have been a yote in the field I passed because no sooner that I got set up I swung my turret 180-degrees just to look back towards the highway from which I just came and damned if this female wasn't between me and the highway... she was a good 300+ yards out. A few short sessions on the caller and she got within 100 yards and she got hammered.

After a quick photo-op and a social media post, I got back in my set up and started calling... within 30 minutes or less two came burning in from my right parallel to the aforementioned fence line. They stopped at about my 1:00 and I hammered this nice male. The other took off, and of course I slung some lead but didn't cut a hair. I was quite happy when I got to the downed yote and realized he was a black coyote.

All in all it was a great night... wasn't as cold as I'd like to have been but enough to keep the skeeters at bay. They showed up at dark but cooler weather ran them off. Rifle was a home built 6.5 Grendel with an 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel, Trijicon Hunter MK III 35mm, and home-rolled 123gr SST's.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Made the wife dinner, had the kitchen cleaned by 6pm... thought tonight would be a good night to get out and smoke some yotes. Soon it will be too damn hot. Got set up in a field that usually produces. I had one come out of the woods about 200 yards away... held off, it move away. A short time later I saw one come from the woods kind of in the direction the one went earlier... could have been the same one... who knows. Hit the caller a few times and she made her way closer... shot her at about 125 yards.

Nothing else showed up so after about an hour I moved to a completely different area where I know for a fact coyotes hang out... it's a big field near the county waste facility... I've killed yotes here before but haven't hunted this field for perhaps a year or longer. I came in off the main road, killed my lights, and drove about 300 yards and stopped about 100 yards before a fence line that separates the private property I was on from a split piece of land that's owned by an industrial company and the the other part by the county.

There must have been a yote in the field I passed because no sooner that I got set up I swung my turret 180-degrees just to look back towards the highway from which I just came and damned if this female wasn't between me and the highway... she was a good 300+ yards out. A few short sessions on the caller and she got within 100 yards and she got hammered.

After a quick photo-op and a social media post, I got back in my set up and started calling... within 30 minutes or less two came burning in from my right parallel to the aforementioned fence line. They stopped at about my 1:00 and I hammered this nice male. The other took off, and of course I slung some lead but didn't cut a hair. I was quite happy when I got to the downed yote and realized he was a black coyote.

All in all it was a great night... wasn't as cold as I'd like to have been but enough to keep the skeeters at bay. They showed up at dark but cooler weather ran them off. Rifle was a home built 6.5 Grendel with an 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel, Trijicon Hunter MK III 35mm, and home-rolled 123gr SST's.

My friend shot about 6 in the past month or so here. They jeep trying to get into his chicken coop.

They end up dead.

Doc

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Headed out this am to try. Never called one, have shot a few during deer season. Going to take kt cmr30 and lightweight ar. Mating season is supposedly starting. What ranges did you get them at?? Restricted to day light only here in Bama and no nv/thermal. Stupid alabama.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good job on them yotes sir.
    Was going out last night but was a forecast of dense fog so not great viewing. Might try tonight.
    Gonna try calling hogs while out also. It has worked in the past.
    Would absolutely love to have a flat colored,dark camo beater truck with that platform. Areas that I mostly hunt,a truck would work almost as well as my buggy.
    Congratz on the great shooting. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: What general area are you at in central Fla. ?? You can PM me if more appropriate.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good dogs right there.
    Dead.
    They make for nice tanned hides, especially the black dog.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got any pictures of that shooting platform handy?

It's made from an old truck pipe/work rack and incorporates a surplus MG3 ring mount. A couple friends and I use them and they are fantastic. Like shooting from a bench.

They are very hard to find, the last ones we found were from a surplus store in Germany, shipping was $125 as they run about 70 pounds.

I have a second one and have thought of building a dual shooting platform, just have not got to it.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Headed out this am to try. Never called one, have shot a few during deer season. Going to take kt cmr30 and lightweight ar. Mating season is supposedly starting. What ranges did you get them at?? Restricted to day light only here in Bama and no nv/thermal. Stupid alabama.
    My buddy uses a 17wsm. DRT. Shot placement works.

Doc

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a pack that runs the woods and power line near West Spencerfield and Berryhill. I live near there and hear them often.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe they are every where, they are definitely are a invasive species .

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe they are every where, they are definitely are a invasive species .
    They are filling a niche left open when the local red wolves were exterminated from this area. The eastern coyotes have gotten some wolf and dog genes and are growing bigger. Soon these coy-wolf-dogs will be the equal of the red wolf.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's made from an old truck pipe/work rack and incorporates a surplus MG3 ring mount. A couple friends and I use them and they are fantastic. Like shooting from a bench.

They are very hard to find, the last ones we found were from a surplus store in Germany, shipping was $125 as they run about 70 pounds.

I have a second one and have thought of building a dual shooting platform, just have not got to it.

That would be great for deer hunting with hounds!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom