• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Realized it would be a nice evening so I headed out to see if I could get a coyote or two. As I got to my first field the hogs were already out and about. Really wasn't interested in hogs but this one hung around while I got set up so after watching him for a while I decided to shoot him... nice cutters. He was about 75 yards out.

After calling a while I had this Bobcat come in, I usually don't shoot Bobcats but I've seen quite a few lately so I figured thinning out one or two was in order.

After changing up the sounds I spotted this coyote about 200 yards out working towards my position. She circled wide and went behind a small grown up area and popped out at about 125 yards. She was interested in the caller but barely... she kept moving left to right and I figured she wasn't coming any closer so a short whistle got her to stop, she did so facing me... I hate face-on shots at distance. A careful shot and she flopped over DRT. This is the forth blackish/white coyote I've killed in this general area over the past two years. There's certainly something in the gene pool with the coyotes in this area. I've posted other pics before.

I then loaded up and moved to another location that usually produces. After seeing a couple yotes at distance, this one circled around the woodline I was backed up into and she crossed in front of me at about 100 yards. She was at a fast trot and a few short whistles got her to stop... bad mistake.

All in all a great night to be out in the woods.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Details on caller and sounds, duration. I picked one up but haven't really used one before. With flicking tail. Going to start using after deer season. Daytime only, stupid alabama!

Attachments

• 20200426_140140.jpg
      20200426_140140.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 94

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Details on caller and sounds, duration. I picked one up but haven't really used one before. With flicking tail. Going to start using after deer season. Daytime only, stupid alabama!

I use two FoxPro callers, sometimes three. I set them out at various distances and angles from my location. All are on a different channel so I can run them independently of each other. Gives the illusion a wounded rabbit is on the move. I can also attempt to channel a yote in a specific direction depending on where they are in relationship to the closest caller.

I mainly use various rabbit distress calls such as... Lightning Jack, DSG Cottontail, Babee Cottontail, etc. Sometimes Coyote Pup Distress sounds bring them in/closer. Pup Distress 1; Pup Distress 2; and Pup Distress 3. These are all FoxPro sounds I believe.

Duration varies... sometimes I'll run the call for 30 seconds sometimes several minutes non stop. Sometimes I'll wait five minutes between call sets sometimes as long as 30 minutes. Just depends...

I've had great success day time hunting as well but prefer hunting at night.

I honestly believe my success rate has more to do with the wonderful properties I have access to vs. my actual skills. You can have all the calling skill in the world but if you have no coyotes, or they have been called/shot at before, they simply are not going to respond consistently. I've hunted areas where this has been the case in the past... yotes will hang up a couple hundred yards out no matter what you throw at them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Thanks. After hunting season I'm gonna get the 224V or the 223W (20 inch) out check 0 and give it a shot. Have bobcats,coys and other assorted pests at the camp that need thinning. I have a photon xt with extra light that works great but alabama says its a no-no. Sucks.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also for varmints, what size mag?? Precision or volume?? Lol.

I use a 5 or 10 round magazine. I've become selective in my shots and try to avoid running shots as there is a lot of cattle on the ranch I hunt. Bullets do things when they hit the earth...

My spray and pray days are well behind me.

Top Bottom