• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My son is home on leave from the Air Force and we finally got a chance to go hit the woods. Our main goal was coyote and our secondary targets were hogs... after we set up, which was about a half hour before dark, I told my son deer season is still in and if we saw a legal buck we will shoot him because family members have asked for some meat. Well... no shit, about 2 or 3 minutes before legal quitting time for deer, this deer steps out. My son was on the thermal and said it was a doe. I was still on day glass and saw what looked like a legal length main beam so I shot. Turned out to be a unique buck with a nice drop tine. I even had my 5-round magazine in my AR15 so I was legal from top to bottom.../images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif

We stayed put for an hour calling but no luck so we decided to move to another location. The boy on gun...

We got set up and it wasn't long until various hogs crossed our path... my son was dead on with his aim tonight and he went eight for eight with the longest kill coming in at about 150-175 yards. He managed to take a very large boar with really nice cutters.

A group of five came by and he managed to get four of them. We continued to call but despite hearing yotes in the distance, none came within detection range. We gathered up the hogs for some pics and called it a night.

We had a great night afield and I got to do some father-son talking which was nice. I miss my son being home but I'm very proud of what he is doing. I look forward to out next time afield. If all goes well, I'm headed out to WY (where my son lives) for mule deer in October where he says he can put me on a buck.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Outstanding. 6.8???

For the buck I was using a home build consistting of an Alexander Arms 16" SS fluted 6.5 Grendel barrel and a Leupold MK AR scope, ammo was home-rolled 123gr SST's.

My son used a 6.5 Grendel home build, the one in some previous posts, featuring a Ballistic Advantage 18" Bead-Blasted SS barrel topped with a Trijicon Hunter MK III 35mm thermal. Same ammo.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    For the buck I was using a home build consistting of an Alexander Arms 16" SS fluted 6.5 Grendel barrel and a Leupold MK AR scope, ammo was home-rolled 123gr SST's.

My son used a 6.5 Grendel home build, the one in some previous posts, featuring a Ballistic Advantage 18" Bead-Blasted SS barrel topped with a Trijicon Hunter MK III 35mm thermal. Same ammo.
    6.5 day. Nice. Always good to have options. Pump shot on the buck or cns? Ranges? Thanks for the info, always curious.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    6.5 day. Nice. Always good to have options. Pump shot on the buck or cns? Ranges? Thanks for the info, always curious.

My usual day-hunting rifle is a 6.8 SPC and my two night rifles at the moment are 6.5G's. I switch up every now and again based on my ammo supply and reloading schedule.

I would guess the buck was perhaps 50-60 yards from us? I aimed for and hit him mid neck, no exit, he dropped in his tracks and not so much as a tail flicker. I really didn't pay attention to him, I saw what looked like a 10+ main beam, moved the crosshairs to the neck area, and touched one off.

Had I realized he was the buck I got on camera back in September about half mile north of where we were, I'd had waited for a broadside shot so as to to possibly mess up the mount opportunity... turns out, no damage from the shot.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am in a slump. I can’t seem to get one on this year. I’ve only hunted 5 times and only seen a small spike. All public but still it’s been a tough year

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I am in a slump. I can’t seem to get one on this year. I’ve only hunted 5 times and only seen a small spike. All public but still it’s been a tough year
    Could be worse. You could be stuck on a boat in the freezing cold! While your bride gets to go hunt and blast nice bucks.

Top Bottom