• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Great thread. My first experience with Glock was not great (keyholing G17 first gen) but I do now own and carry a G19 in both gen 4 and gen 5. My faves though are the third gen SW pistols (love the 6906 and 3913). Like revolvers and heavy first shot with easier follow up shot is what I carried my whole LE career (10 years) so used to it.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Great thread. My first experience with Glock was not great (keyholing G17 first gen) but I do now own and carry a G19 in both gen 4 and gen 5. My faves though are the third gen SW pistols (love the 6906 and 3913). Like revolvers and heavy first shot with easier follow up shot is what I carried my whole LE career (10 years) so used to it.
    How does your 19 compare to your service weapons? Or were they glock too? Just curious since you now carry one. I've just never been a betting man on the striker fired guns. A hammer has just been too proven, although arguably the striker fired I could say has also been proven. It's just a personal bias for me.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Service weapon was the M9 Beretta. Learned how to shoot on the 1911. Glock is just so much more compact for the same capacity and mine have proven completely reliable. I did add the stainless steel guide rod and spring, it has just enough heft to convince me follow up shots are a tad quicker, due to faster recovery from a lowered muzzle flip arc.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never been a fan and I've tried and shot maybe 20+ different glocks. They feel like dogshit in my hands, the trigger is pure ass, and they're fucking ugly to boot. Overall my beretta is my go to pistol for everything. Some folks may shake their heads but I've got the 96A1 .40 cal. I won't trust my life to anything else. Over 3k rounds shot out of it so far with every piece of shit ammo you can throw at it without a single issue. If I were a betting man, I'd throw it in the mud, cow shit, swamp, sand, and try it, but mines too pretty for all that mess. If it was good enough for the military to buy, and the service members to hate, I'll take it. We have a ton of sand here, and the militaries that use them are all a giant sandbox, so I'd say it crosses over well here. Hell, even the Taliban uses them now...that we gave them to them...I honestly like the M&Ps way better. I don't know why though. They also have a shit factory trigger in the 1.0s and have the same plastic frame that I'm not a fan of. They just feel better in my hands for some reason, I don't know if it's balance, the interchangeable grips, or what. Hell, even my new ruger lcp II feels better than a glock to me as far as grip and trigger. Maybe I have some weird ass subconscious bias towards them since my first one, but they just don't stand up for me. Way too many other better options out there at somewhat comparable prices. I like their mags for my 9mm PCC, but that's about it. Gotta add, striker fired for personal carry is just a bad idea as far as I'm concerned..yes I know that LE and everyone else has had consistent performance out of them, but striker just irks me for some reason and I don't even own a damn 1911...I'm only carrying the LCP2 right now cause my back brace interferes with my IWB holster and I can't afford a pocket hammer fired sig right now.
    So you have about 2K rounds before it's time to change the locking block in your Beretta.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So you have about 2K rounds before it's time to change the locking block in your Beretta.

Nah..honestly I don't think I could break this thing if I tried...it's an absolute beast...

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nah..honestly I don't think I could break this thing if I tried...it's an absolute beast...
    Believe me, Beretta's break! I've had & seen it happen. Follow the prescribed preventative maintenance or risk the chance of it breaking when your counting on it most. JMHO/Experience.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Believe me, Beretta's break! I've had & seen it happen. Follow the prescribed preventative maintenance or risk the chance of it breaking when your counting on it most. JMHO/Experience.
    Thanks for the link. I'll be throwing a locking block into my BOB for sure now. Says they're good for over 20k rounds and mines is nowhere near that, but it doesn't hurt to have spares around. I keep spares for a lot of my AR style guns as well as a handful for some of my .22lr. Just one more thing to stay vigilant on in my gun maintenance. 22k rounds ain't bad and I'd just consider that a wear item like a spring or seal.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    My gen4 19 is tough to beat on any level but fugugly! I've carried my 19 for about 10ish years now. Before that, Browning Hi Power, lightweight Colt commander and an assortment of S&W J frames. The 19 digests anything, doesn't require much maintenance, cheap factory mags that work, and is reasonably accurate. Glocks are the small block Chevy of the gun world. Reasonably priced, stupid reliable, and tons of aftermarket support... I love them, in an ugly step child kinda way!

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    How does your 19 compare to your service weapons? Or were they glock too? Just curious since you now carry one. I've just never been a betting man on the striker fired guns. A hammer has just been too proven, although arguably the striker fired I could say has also been proven. It's just a personal bias for me.
    FWIW, I worked at a gun shop with a range. We had a gen 1 G17, bought from another range that got it as a police trade-in. When we finally sent it to glock for a rebuild, we did a thoughtful analysis of how many rounds it had fired. We figured about 100 rounds per week since it was purchased by the first range... 100,000 was a conservative estimate. Barrel was so shot out anything past about 25ft would keyhole. Stuff a mag in it and it'd dump 'em down range without a hiccup!

Top Bottom