• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Glock seems to go back and forth between crappy and okay finish. I wish they would settle on a great finish so we all can move on. Even if the great finish they settle on costs a little more. I hear folks say they'll buy this generation or that generation of Glock because they prefer one finish over the other. Very confusing. S&W has, Sig has, Walther has, hell ever Kel Tec has. WTF Glock.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I suspect that the newer finishes have to be more EPA friendly. The Gen 3 and older are definitely a tougher more corrosion resistant finish! FWIW, the newer melonite (sp?) that the S&W M&P's use now actually seems to be more durable than the Glock Gen 4 & 5 model finishes.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Is it my imagination that the newer +gen 3 glocks seem to have crappy finishes?? Or is it my love for gen 2/3 glocks making me think so??

IIRC they dropped the Tennifer finish after the older Gen 3s. Gen 4 went to a different process, and then Gen 5 yet again went to a different process. I always liked the early 2000s era finish, some people call it "frying pan."

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Gen 5 slides always look like they are smeared or blotchy to me.
    M&P have a very nice finish, but I shoot Glocks for magazine compatibility.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is definitely a difference. All of my Glocks are G3, and when compared to newer models, mine seem a shade more grey, but more uniform and consistent in coverage and color, if that makes sense. The G5s I have held seem much darker, but thinner and show wear in places my G3s do not. Don’t know what specifically changed, but like another poster suggested, I’ve heard it was to be more environmentally friendly, for whatever reason. I will stick with my G3s. Glock will continue to make them, since Kalifornia will probably never get around to approving G4 and 5 models.

Top Bottom